DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

You missed the entire point of this thread. It’s not about slighting those that assemble their engines at home, it’s about the few here that slight those/me and the vast majority of bracket and class racers that choose to have professionals build their engines, their transmissions, their carbs and their race cars.

So what we all knew is this thread is about ED being Bu++hur+ because he is not getting any respect and that we are not impressed with him. I have always had more respect for someone who built their cars, motors, transmissions, etc themselves. Has nothing to do with Special ED. That is one of the reasons I have always been a huge Don Garlits fan, he did things different and usually on a smaller budget than others. I am almost always for the Underdog and those who do things themselves. If that makes you Bu++hur+ then that is of your many problems.

YOU BAD MOUTH EVERYONE ON HERE AND YOU GET UPSET WHEN OTHERS CALL YOU OUT ON YOUR LIES? WTF? Biotch.

I am going to tell you a little secret. Nobody comes on here to argue and fight. That is your doing and if you can not take it do not start it. I do not want any problems with anyone, I do not look for trouble, But I will not forget the threats you made to me and others to "Bash my Face in" and calling my Girlfriend a Prostitute.

Respect is earned and you have not earned anything. I will say your son has turned out to be a much better racer than you could ever hope to be. That does not make you anyone special other than Special ED. In fact it is pretty sad to be riding on the coattails of your Son because you are inferior to your own Son. And your Inferiority Complex is not our problem.

You Won ONE race back in 1995 and you expect all of us to be impressed with that? I for one am not impressed. Is there ANYONE here who is impressed that Special ED won a race in 1995?

ANYONE?

One race in 1995 and nothing since. Really Sad. You were the joke of Numedia for years and still a loser.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong curly cue, this forums biggest joke with not one but 2 piles of shyt he calls race cars, An absolute clueless idiot that thinks he knows.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim I have no gripe with you either but you know the answer to your question so why ask? That said, my son is one if the best young drivers in the country and his accomplishments over just a few seasons competing in the NHRA tour proves that but none of it happens without the engine, transmission, carb and car built by professionals and paid for by me.

Translation = Loser riding on Son's coattails.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

You missed the entire point of this thread. It’s not about slighting those that assemble their engines at home, it’s about the few here that slight those/me and the vast majority of bracket and class racers that choose to have professionals build their engines, their transmissions, their carbs and their race cars.

So what we all knew is this thread is about ED being Bu++hur+ because he is not getting any respect and that we are not impressed with him. I have always had more respect for someone who built their cars, motors, transmissions, etc themselves. Has nothing to do with Special ED. That is one of the reasons I have always been a huge Don Garlits fan, he did things different and usually on a smaller budget than others. I am almost always for the Underdog and those who do things themselves. If that makes you Bu++hur+ then that is of your many problems.

YOU BAD MOUTH EVERYONE ON HERE AND YOU GET UPSET WHEN OTHERS CALL YOU OUT ON YOUR LIES? WTF? Biotch.

I am going to tell you a little secret. Nobody comes on here to argue and fight. That is your doing and if you can not take it do not start it. I do not want any problems with anyone, I do not look for trouble, But I will not forget the threats you made to me and others to "Bash my Face in" and calling my Girlfriend a Prostitute.

Respect is earned and you have not earned anything. I will say your son has turned out to be a much better racer than you could ever hope to be. That does not make you anyone special other than Special ED. In fact it is pretty sad to be riding on the coattails of your Son because you are inferior to your own Son. And your Inferiority Complex is not our problem.

You Won ONE race back in 1995 and you expect all of us to be impressed with that? I for one am not impressed. Is there ANYONE here who is impressed that Special ED won a race in 1995?

ANYONE?

One race in 1995 and nothing since. Really Sad. You were the joke of Numedia for years and still a loser.

Right

Very True

Why so angry Ed? Truth? Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed has a screw loose, I mean who gets their bullhorn out blurting out most racers in their neighborhood, don't know a hammer from a screwdriver?

What's he talking, NHRA racing?

I'm one of the best in a neighborhood no one knows the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver WTF? Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure no one squirts out of the womb as a "PROFESSIONAL ENGINE BUILDER". The title is earned and the majority of the time it's the guy who started by building his own engines, a few engines for friends and word spread as his experience and expertise grew.
Whatever way an engine gets into a drag car, as long as it's racing wgaf

Posts: 15 | Location: MN | Registered: June 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This thread has been interesting and entertaining. Goob loved your comments about an apprentice porting heads. If its the place in Indy that I think it is you are probabaly spot on. 1320racer original comment was if you can't afford 950 dollars the have a race motor assembled you should not be staging the car. If you think that through (and dont take offence) he is really not wrong. I assemble, all my own Motors,Transmission,and rear gears kinda like I run what I build. Have assembled for others too. But as to do it for a living my job paid me more than working for any assembly shop with less hours. Now if I would have owned a shop that might have been different. Also built chassis and still do some work for the chassis shop near me. But if you do or do not build your own engines do not take offense because what 1320racer is saying if you can't afford 950 you may want to look at your finances as that is really not alot of money. Heck one beadlock wheel is more than that. Again if you build your own and are happy great and if you pick it on an engine dolly all wraped up and are happy its great also. This site has some good information and it also has some good entertainment. Words to remember that at any time no matter what two go down the track and only one of those two come back for the next round. Anybody at any time can slip in a .001 dead 1 and that .002 package is next to impossible to beat. Home built or store bought it happens. And the chances of being trip zip more than once in a race is also slim and the time slip does not know where the motor came from. I think most people on here are just glad to be doing what we are doing and for myself living in northern Ohio Im just glad winter is over and can get another year of racing in as who knows what the future holds for this sport.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
SLICKSTER, you are right about most of your post but you missed the big picture here.

This whole post by SPECIAL ED was because he was bu++hur+ because he does not build his own motors, transmissions and can not drive and wants us to respect him like he is someone Special. SPECIAL ED. Special ED is upset because I said in another post that I Respect someone more who builds their own cars, motors, transmissions etc more than those who write a check for it. And that is True, that will not change. This post was just ED trying to build his little ego and justify his lack of talent. Nothing more. ED tries to insult everyone else as he thinks it makes him look important. It does not it just makes him a whiny little loser with small man syndrome and that will not ever get him Respect.

If you want Respect treat others with Respect and Respect is earned not shoved up someone. No matter how much SPECIAL ED screams about how great and fast he is it still will not earn him any Respect. No matter how much bull he talks about others still will not earn him any Respect. No matter how much money he spends or how much he brags about it still will not earn him any Respect.

For those who want to STROKE Special ED's EGO, Stroke it what you do is your business.

For those who want Respect it is earned.

Most of us try to do everything we can to build our own stuff and be the best driver we can. We take pride in building our cars and driving to the best of our ability. And all of us like seeing our name in National Dragster, web sites or newspaper for winning. We like winning races and Championships.

There is no award that I know of for writing a Check.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Every $950 goes on the balance sheet.

SLICKSTER, ultimately is doing the opposite of sowing discord among brothers, by finding common ground, which is a deed to be respected.

Me, I'm gonna pray for Ed and his ilk.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
For me, building, tuning, maintaining and just making it run better than most similar combos is what does it for me. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 second 2500HP T/D or a 12 second street car. Although I prefer the quick stuff! LOL

Getting win lights is just a plus.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know and race with serious bracket and class racers, many that own auto repair shops. These guys can fix anything and I can’t think of one that assembles his own engine. WHY... 1.because they are smart enough to know that the guys that do this for a living, PROFESSIONAL Engine Builders have proven combos and successes on the track and will build a better, faster engine than they could and 2. Because their time is worth more $ than the cost of having these shops build their engine.

Even the street outlaws are smart enough to have their engines built by PROFESSIONALS neck when they show first aired 7 years ago no mind now that they can afford $150k Proline billet engines. Laughing very hard

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
There was guy that raced down here in Bradenton. Had a blue and white Vega. He had his engines professionally built by Advanced Auto Parts. No kidding, Advanced Auto Parts. Dang he sure won a lot, too. Curtis was his first name. I don't remember his last.

Seriously, I learned from my guy doing my engines that assembly techniques had come quite ways from what I was doing. Things that only a fella that did this on a constant basis would know.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Ed, for the auto repair shop owners that don't do their own engines, but are fully capable, I think it's mainly a question of time management. These guys have the skills necessary to build their own stuff, but their time is better spent running their business (and making $$$$) and then paying someone to build them for them.

That is unless they get satisfaction from doing it their self, as I do.......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. So what if I have my engines professionally built in a guys garage?

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I'm confused. So what if I have my engines professionally built in a guys garage?

Like home made pie! It was made in somebody's home!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I've assembled my own engines for over 50 years.
If one comes apart I know to look in the mirror rather then look for someone to blame if it was due to a mistake in assembly.
Micrometers, calipers, torque wrench, dial indicator and assembly lube.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:

Like home made pie! It was made in somebody's home!

Well, the guy is a good friend of mine, and deals with most of the quickest cylinder heads in drag racing on a daily basis, but it doesn't change the fact that he builds my motors in his garage and I pay him......lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I'm a "Semi" Professional Big Grin

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I guess this "Entertainment" thread accomplished it's goal - Generated a ton of clicks & views, some keyboard brawling, and resolved very little. Big Grin
My opinion is that some of us will just have to agree to disagree. No disrespect to the Pro engine builders, nor to those who buy from them. For the guy who is a weekend warrior on a small budget, running a 12 or 13 second footbrake ride, that $950 he saved by assembling his motor will buy a lot of fuel & entries, or a pair of slicks and a set of headers. For a guy chasing Divisional points, it is a fraction of his budget, and with time considerations it probably makes more sense.
Me, I am in the crowd described by The Bender, (But with the addition of the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from the build process, plus I truly enjoy time at the track, the friends made, the camaraderie, joking and bench racing stories that go on between rounds, after the racing is done, etc). Wink
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
For me, building, tuning, maintaining and just making it run better than most similar combos is what does it for me. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 second 2500HP T/D or a 12 second street car. Although I prefer the quick stuff! LOL
Getting win lights is just a plus.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1043 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What Ed is trying to say, and has said, is most of the people he races with, don't know the difference between a hammer & a screwdriver.

That's a tough neighborhood you race in Ed, I feel for you. Big Grin