DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Curly cue...post just one big check of $5000 or more with your name on it from any year and I’ll do the same and mine will be from this decade. Spitting

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
bolting together premachined and manufactured parts from a vendor is not building a engine ... assembling yes

What qualifies as building?

Good question, Bucky. Maybe if we all had a specific definition of "Building", we could agree.
I don't know anyone who simply assembles a pile of parts for a race engine.
I don't machine my own blocks, (for obvious reasons). I used to do all my own headwork, from porting to seats, but there are guys who can do it faster & better, so maybe in that regard I am a "checkbook racer" Big Grin
In my mind, "building" an engine starts with a series of mental decisions, (determining the goal and budget for the build), moves to paper for establishing and listing many of the component specifications, to come up with the best possible combination of heads, cam, intake, compression, springs, bottom end parts that support target RPM range, compile a list of parts required, preferred clearances, information that will go to the machine shop, discussions with suppliers and shop(s) to hopefully result in pieces as close to spec as possible.
The build process includes so much more than merely assembly work, for example many measurements, cleaning steps, clearancing, adjusting things like ring end-gaps, (I personally try to get each one of them to the thousandth of an inch), establishing adequate valve to piston clearance, modifying parts, (yes, even mating parts from the same manufacturer often don't "mate" properly), setting up clearances such as oil pickup to pan, proper push rod lengths to achieve correct rocker arm / tip to valve stem geometry, travel & angles, etc., etc.
So if a Professional "Builder" has his crew machine the blocks, and ready the heads, what is he doing any differently than what I am doing, that makes him a "Builder", vs an "Assembler"?
And because I have the luxury of not trying to crank as many bullets out the door as I can in a week or month, I guarantee I can take more time and pay way more attention to detail than even the best of the "professional builders" will put forth on their customers engines. Again, not saying I can build them better, or faster, but to call anyone who builds their own race engines an assembler of parts, sounds like the thoughts of someone who has never built an engine, nor has the knowledge of the many different skills, tools, actions, time and activities the task entails.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Awesome. Dead on!^^^^^

clapping

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
^^^^^Awesome. Dead on!^^^^^

clapping

Always one of the more....moderate voices on this forum.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
STFU Ed

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain he was keenly aware of the term build in each of these instances. But it is his everyday vernacular.

Per David Reher:

"It’s painful when a customer brings a pile of mismatched parts into our shop and asks me to build an engine out of them. I hate to turn business away, but I have a responsibility to be honest when someone shows up with a collection of incompatible parts."

"Building a racing engine is like painting a car – the preparation takes far longer than the final act. A competent engine builder can assemble a short block in a few hours, but it might take weeks to inspect, mock-up, check clearances and rework all of the parts to work together properly. Building an engine is not a speed contest; if you don’t have time to do it right the first time, you better have time to do it over again."

"The guys in our shop build literally hundreds of engines every year, and it seems like every day we find some new hiccup that we haven’t seen previously."

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFA Racing:
STFU Ed

Here you go Ed, his dad taught him how to build his own engines & transmissions, when he was 10 years old.

I'm guessing you won't be handing down these skills to your son.

This kid has forgotten more about drag racing, than you'll ever know Ed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
bolting together premachined and manufactured parts from a vendor is not building a engine ... assembling yes

What qualifies as building?

Good question, Bucky. Maybe if we all had a specific definition of "Building", we could agree.
I don't know anyone who simply assembles a pile of parts for a race engine.
I don't machine my own blocks, (for obvious reasons). I used to do all my own headwork, from porting to seats, but there are guys who can do it faster & better, so maybe in that regard I am a "checkbook racer" Big Grin
In my mind, "building" an engine starts with a series of mental decisions, (determining the goal and budget for the build), moves to paper for establishing and listing many of the component specifications, to come up with the best possible combination of heads, cam, intake, compression, springs, bottom end parts that support target RPM range, compile a list of parts required, preferred clearances, information that will go to the machine shop, discussions with suppliers and shop(s) to hopefully result in pieces as close to spec as possible.
The build process includes so much more than merely assembly work, for example many measurements, cleaning steps, clearancing, adjusting things like ring end-gaps, (I personally try to get each one of them to the thousandth of an inch), establishing adequate valve to piston clearance, modifying parts, (yes, even mating parts from the same manufacturer often don't "mate" properly), setting up clearances such as oil pickup to pan, proper push rod lengths to achieve correct rocker arm / tip to valve stem geometry, travel & angles, etc., etc.
So if a Professional "Builder" has his crew machine the blocks, and ready the heads, what is he doing any differently than what I am doing, that makes him a "Builder", vs an "Assembler"?
And because I have the luxury of not trying to crank as many bullets out the door as I can in a week or month, I guarantee I can take more time and pay way more attention to detail than even the best of the "professional builders" will put forth on their customers engines. Again, not saying I can build them better, or faster, but to call anyone who builds their own race engines an assembler of parts, sounds like the thoughts of someone who has never built an engine, nor has the knowledge of the many different skills, tools, actions, time and activities the task entails.

Jim

Not sure what your saying here with regards to time spent on your part vs the pro engine companies out there. First the time is takes to build a motor, you or anyone for that fact, is not directly related to the quality of the build! The pro's take the time to develop a combo first then roll with it in order to achieve a more assembly line deal so they can make money, otherwise they would be out of business! Next, the true pro's have more data, testing, experience etc than you. That doesn't mean you would or have built bad engines. But does mean they can build a better engine than you? My money is on the pro 99.9% of the time. But one thing that seams to escape the so called non pro builders out there who feel they build a better more powerful engine than the pro's, their advertised combo's are built to withstand the racers who let's just say are hard on parts vs achieving the max power. They have no choice because it's bad for business if these guys blow stuff up! Bad news travels at light speed!

If you or others out their have a good understanding of all aspects of what it take to picks the right parts to achieve the desired goals of any build ,I believe this can also be done but that person needs to have a good understanding of how a race motor works and he or she is not just a great mechanic! They need a decent amount of technical knowledge and understanding which most do not have. Hence this is where the Pro's will shine 99.9% of the time.

BTW, I am loving the ignore option, it's great seeing "Ignored post by Mike Retread" Laughing Hard

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TOP38...dead on with a fucing Zero! clapping

Meanwhile, 3 hours has past since I challenged them and the clueless nobodies that think they know haven’t come up with one who assembles his own that has WON any of the millions or any of the many 6 figures to win races hosted by SFG or The Flings and curly cue can’t post 1 big check with his name on it for winning at least $5,000 because he has never won a real bracket race that paid that or more!

No surprise to either of these! Spitting

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
some of these home engine builders should branch out into pro stock or comp they spend so much more time than the pro builders ASSEMBLYING a engine Wink

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The kid who told Ed to STFU, lost at four in the million Montgomery.

Builds his own engine & trans since he was 10 years old.

The black Vega that won the SFG 100k Bradenton, engine was built by its drivers auto mechanics class.

There's 10 year olds out there with more drag racing experience than Ed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Must be true, I read it in an internet message message board posted by an idiot who is known as retard rietow amongst Florida bracket racers and who has raced once in the past 8 years and was DQ’d for hitting a timing block.

quote:
some of these home engine builders should branch out into pro stock or comp they spend so much more time than the pro builders ASSEMBLYING a engine Wink

Except they’d go broke waiting for the phone to ring because they are nobodies that ain’t got shyt nor done shyt worth talking about.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Must be true, I read it in an internet message message board posted by an idiot who is known as retard rietow amongst Florida bracket racers and who has raced once in the past 8 years and was DQ’d for hitting a timing block.

You get a little nervous typing out those manipulations of reality, did ya?

Look it up, I street raced with his dad 30 years ago. Trey had engine building experience when he was 10 years old.

And transmission.

What skills are you passing down to your son, lying, cheating and stealing?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Driving and typing, unlike you retard I can multi task. NahNahTounge

Meanwhile retard rietow is also a felon, good thing he ain’t got no wife, no kids

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You a little triggered now Ed, what's next? Are you gonna call my girl a prostitute too?

What will Ed do next, to divert from his inexperience as a drag racer? Confused

Should I pm you her name so you can find out where she works and say horrible things about her, will that make you feel better Ed?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Never called anyone’s girl a prostitute besides your former competition down your way tell me you’re a gay retard Laughing very hard

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yeah I hear ya I'm a retard, gay and a felon "ain't got no wife, no kids.

Gay is calling a guys better half a prostitute, while hiding behind a keyboard hundreds of miles away.

You got the gay going on Ed, plus you admit daily you'd take it up the arse from a nobody track official without a peep, if the official stole a $1000 from you.

Meanwhile back in reality here's what my Florida competition really has to say.....
quote:
Originally posted by AFA Racing:
STFU Ed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
...the time is takes to build a motor, you or anyone for that fact, is not directly related to the quality of the build! The pro's take the time to develop a combo first then roll with it in order to achieve a more assembly line deal so they can make money, otherwise they would be out of business! Next, the true pro's have more data, testing, experience etc than you. That doesn't mean you would or have built bad engines. But does mean they can build a better engine than you? My money is on the pro 99.9% of the time. But one thing that seams to escape the so called non pro builders out there who feel they build a better more powerful engine than the pro's, their advertised combo's are built to withstand the racers who let's just say are hard on parts vs achieving the max power. They have no choice because it's bad for business if these guys blow stuff up! Bad news travels at light speed!

If you or others out their have a good understanding of all aspects of what it take to picks the right parts to achieve the desired goals of any build ,I believe this can also be done but that person needs to have a good understanding of how a race motor works and he or she is not just a great mechanic! They need a decent amount of technical knowledge and understanding which most do not have. Hence this is where the Pro's will shine 99.9% of the time.

Top, I specifically said "not saying I can build them better, or faster".
And I absolutely agree that the Pro Builders have to deal with grief that self-builders don't, they have no control over the end user, such as: Does the guy even maintain his engine properly, does he bounce a stone-cold engine off the limiter for 8 seconds on his first burnout, etc.
In a way, though, you also back up a couple of my points, namely with the "assembly line" deal, volume production in order to make a profit, (which I do understand), vs taking time to triple-check every bolt torque, measure every bearing journal at multiple degrees of crank rotation, etc (which the production line deal probably cuts out a lot of). And how is the assembly line production of pre-machined parts a "Build", not just "assembling parts"?
Again, I highly respect the professional engine builders, and in a different life I would love to be one of them, because I thoroughly enjoy doing it. Yes, it takes thousands of hours of learning, reading, studying, and doing, to understand the many factors that come into play, and many guys have much more knowledge and experience than we self-builders. But any of us who put our blood, sweat, tears and time into building our own, and see it perform on the track, and withstand the abuse that a racing engine takes, and see it survive for hundreds or thousands of runs, and win many rounds, races and a good chunk of money, know that we damned well DO have every right to stage our machines, and that it took a lot more than bolting together a pile of parts to achieve that success. Not the fastest, or most powerful pieces, nope. But absolutely satisfying and a part of the game that we truly enjoy.
Two different approaches, for different requirements, that's all my point is.
Not better than the Pro's, nope.
Worthy of staging the car? For every self-builder I know and race with, Yep.

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Well, my homebuilt junk managed a 7.38 tuesday night in about 8000' DA.. Still on the rich side with fuel and still wants more timing....rain put an end to any more runs though....and that's at about 1980 lbs or so...didn't go across the scale....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Well, my homebuilt junk managed a 7.38 tuesday night in about 8000' DA...

Congrats Mark, that is a really nice run up on the mountain! Wink
Curious what your ET differential is up at Bandimere, vs Florida? For my slow stuff, I was off 6-7 tenths there, vs. TX tracks at around 600' elevation.

Dan "Jim" Moore