DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every racer has built an engine, trans, car, etc at least one time. I would be questioning the dedication to the sport if they didn't.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
if I built my own engine I would be afraid to hit the starter button. I freshened one once and it tore my nerves up. so I pay the man for piece of mind.

ep-I have been paying Scott Duggins since he started his business. I love him like a brother and he has always taken care of me. I will keep paying him because he knows more than me.

I admire those who have the skill and time to build their own bullet. props to you. I do say you can't beat the man who does it all day every day.

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Pauley...KNOWS!
And here’s what else I know...you ain’t going to find many, if any home built engines in the late rounds of SFG and FLING races, no mind holding the big check. You also ain’t going to find any home built engines in the cars of division and world champions in the throttle stop classes as well TD and TS.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it ever got to the point where nobody ever did anything themselves, the $950 job would quickly escalate to $9,950 or $99,950.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
THIS is the problem with the sport and country for that matter. 75% of the racers can't check valve lash without calling someone.

Who's the first to start tire pressure checking service??? Roll Eyes

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Pauley...KNOWS!
And here’s what else I know...you ain’t going to find many, if any home built engines in the late rounds of SFG and FLING races, no mind holding the big check. You also ain’t going to find any home built engines in the cars of division and world champions in the throttle stop classes as well TD and TS.

The difference between those people and you is, none of those people argue with 5 time Pro Stock champion engine builder Nick Ferri on the internet, pretending to know more than he does, like you have been known to do.

This is also why none of those people are know nothing posers, and you are. Smile

BTW, Not one of your heroes from Florida with the big checks got the best of my in house built street car. NONE of em.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For years cars/motors/transmissions were built in home garages and won weekly and even championships.. and those people still exist in society.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Now choosing to have professionals build your race engine means you can’t check your valve lash. Dumb azz comments only posted by nobodies on an Internet forum.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1320racer:
The difference between those people and you is, none of those people argue with 5 time Pro Stock champion engine builder Nick Ferri on the internet, pretending to know more than he does, like you have been known to do.

You’re an idiot and a liar but we already knew that. Who dafuc is nick ferri?

Again...you ain’t going to find many, if any home built engines in the late rounds of SFG and FLING races, no mind holding the big check. You also ain’t going to find any home built engines in the cars of division and world champions in the throttle stop classes as well TD and TS. FACT!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
THIS is the problem with the sport and country for that matter. 75% of the racers can't check valve lash without calling someone.

Who's the first to start tire pressure checking service??? Roll Eyes

As far as drag racers go, Garlits was, is, and will always be the standard of which all others are measured.

My nephew is a computer scientist today, went to all the best schools money can buy. My mom would get ticked every Christmas when I bought him Craftsman tools, when he was growing up. He still has those same tools, and knows how to use them. He doesn't call anyone.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

As far as drag racers go, Garlits was, is, and will always be the standard of which all others are measured.

My nephew is a computer scientist today, went to all the best schools money can buy. My mom would get ticked every Christmas when I bought him Craftsman tools, when he was growing up. He still has those same tools, and knows how to use them. He doesn't call anyone.

Ah, Craftsman. Perhaps the best value, at least for the non-pro mechanic. This should open another can o' worms. ;^)

Posts: 348 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
dumb azz nobody on an internet forum....finally checked that off the bucket list.

Mike - couldn't agree more on Garlits. Innovator still to this day. However, more and more have no ambition or the critical thinking required to diagnosis and execute. Easier to call someone.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This is bracket talk, garlits ain’t ever bracket raced!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, this is not true.
I have bracket raced Don Garlits and he was nice enough to autograph the time slip after the run.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I reckon if I had $30,000 or perhaps even $10,000 in parts and machine work to spend on a race engine, I'd invest a mere (?) grand to have it professionally assembled. If I can trust the assembler. But too I'm not a professionally-trained and experienced mechanic.

Ten hours of labor at $100 an hour doesn't sound horrible to me, to help keep from puking $30,000 all over the track.

That said, I do wish to assemble my own race engine one day, for of course the satisfaction of doing it and the experience. Mechanic friends of mine who do their own have no formal training, though they only run in the 11s in the quarter-mile.
I feel alittle lame that I don't build my own engines.....

I'm on my 8th season on my current engine that I paid $2500 for from a hot-rodder who I think had it professionally built. It has a Scat rotating assembly, but it rarely sees much more than 6,000 RPM on my 11.80 passes.

Posts: 348 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:

I have bracket raced Don Garlits and he was nice enough to autograph the time slip after the run.

did you whoop his azz?

ep-that would be cool to have a W ticket signed by gartlits

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:
quote:

did you whoop his azz?

He was in A/SA and I was in F/SA.
We both had .030 lights,but he was running .02 over and wasn't holding anything.
I have that time ticket framed.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I even put my name on mine Big Grin

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:
quote:

did you whoop his azz?

He was in A/SA and I was in F/SA.
We both had .030 lights,but he was running .02 over and wasn't holding anything.
I have that time ticket framed.

ep-very cool.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I even put my name on mine Big Grin

Very nice!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post