DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
...the time is takes to build a motor, you or anyone for that fact, is not directly related to the quality of the build! The pro's take the time to develop a combo first then roll with it in order to achieve a more assembly line deal so they can make money, otherwise they would be out of business! Next, the true pro's have more data, testing, experience etc than you. That doesn't mean you would or have built bad engines. But does mean they can build a better engine than you? My money is on the pro 99.9% of the time. But one thing that seams to escape the so called non pro builders out there who feel they build a better more powerful engine than the pro's, their advertised combo's are built to withstand the racers who let's just say are hard on parts vs achieving the max power. They have no choice because it's bad for business if these guys blow stuff up! Bad news travels at light speed!

If you or others out their have a good understanding of all aspects of what it take to picks the right parts to achieve the desired goals of any build ,I believe this can also be done but that person needs to have a good understanding of how a race motor works and he or she is not just a great mechanic! They need a decent amount of technical knowledge and understanding which most do not have. Hence this is where the Pro's will shine 99.9% of the time.

Top, I specifically said "not saying I can build them better, or faster".
And I absolutely agree that the Pro Builders have to deal with grief that self-builders don't, they have no control over the end user, such as: Does the guy even maintain his engine properly, does he bounce a stone-cold engine off the limiter for 8 seconds on his first burnout, etc.
In a way, though, you also back up a couple of my points, namely with the "assembly line" deal, volume production in order to make a profit, (which I do understand), vs taking time to triple-check every bolt torque, measure every bearing journal at multiple degrees of crank rotation, etc (which the production line deal probably cuts out a lot of). And how is the assembly line production of pre-machined parts a "Build", not just "assembling parts"?
Again, I highly respect the professional engine builders, and in a different life I would love to be one of them, because I thoroughly enjoy doing it. Yes, it takes thousands of hours of learning, reading, studying, and doing, to understand the many factors that come into play, and many guys have much more knowledge and experience than we self-builders. But any of us who put our blood, sweat, tears and time into building our own, and see it perform on the track, and withstand the abuse that a racing engine takes, and see it survive for hundreds or thousands of runs, and win many rounds, races and a good chunk of money, know that we damned well DO have every right to stage our machines, and that it took a lot more than bolting together a pile of parts to achieve that success. Not the fastest, or most powerful pieces, nope. But absolutely satisfying and a part of the game that we truly enjoy.
Two different approaches, for different requirements, that's all my point is.
Not better than the Pro's, nope.
Worthy of staging the car? For every self-builder I know and race with, Yep.

Jim

Leaving the words like better, more power out of the equation for now, your stating that your QA is better because you check things 3 times, well that's what makes you feel comfortable and it doesn't mean everyone needs to do it in order to get a reliable running engine. There's nothing wrong with doing that just as there is nothing wrong with doing it once correctly. One of the most over looked items during a engine build after selecting the parts is the obtaining the proper bore finish yet no one talks about this...

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying no one should do there own stuff! I do my own motors and have for many years and I am not just talking about assembly either. I select all the parts, the types of valve jobs, etc. and also do the required porting. It's not my real job in life but I do it because I like it. Started doing this too many years ago when I purchases a big buck ported intake from a well known company. I made it very clear what I had for an engine combo. Short story it slowed my car almost a tenth so this company said I needed new heads and that mine were holding me back,,, it was a bunch of BS that they used to sell more parts! That's when I said I don't need to pay anyone to slow me down, I can do that for free and never looked back. SO continue to build your own stuff and the best of luck doing so.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Quickest & Fastest n/a 23 degree sbc @3200 lbs in God's Country.

Built by its driver

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Top38 on the proper bore finish is spot on especially with the Dart blocks I have worked with. They are hard material and **** Mastin did a seminar years back on the finish they like on their blocks. Dart is about 85 miles from me and its not a bad drive to drop one off there. Total seal ring company also was going around to different motor shops and presenting hands on demos. working with employees in that area.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Will Harrison, Those are very impressive numbers for a 4 link 533. Great job and I see its a single carb. Will does your 235 4 link have .032 body or .040 body panels? Carbon body? Either way it cant be lighter than 1800 and probably more like 1850 with an iron dart block. Add a 175 driver and thats 1975-2025lbs and makin bacon haulin butt. Again more with less great job.
I wish I was 175 lol its .040 body, iron dart block. .060 aluminum floor. Beadwork, wing, wheelie bar. It's 1875 with me in it race ready and at that time I was about 195. Thank you, it's a good running little motor. Working on a 580" 2x 4's combo for the next car that might end up in this car. It should make a good amount more

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Will Harrison again great job on that engine. There are 565,572 and 582 wanting to lay down time slips like your 533 I assume 4" stroke motor is doing. I know people will tell me no big deal but a bracket motor of that size with those numbers in front of a glide is pretty outstanding to me.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Congrats Mark, that is a really nice run up on the mountain! Wink
Curious what your ET differential is up at Bandimere, vs Florida? For my slow stuff, I was off 6-7 tenths there, vs. TX tracks at around 600' elevation.

Thanks! It varies depending on car, engine, etc....for super comp and the rest of the index classes, they give them .6. From florida, I'm only .3 off, but I wasn't perfectly tuned down there either. With a little more work, I should get into the .20's on motor here....then comes the bottle!!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pro built 427 sbc AFR heads, radial tires... Strong

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everybody hauled ass, won races, Wally's, 41 race Super Pro championships and radial tire championship diamond rings, out of Benjamin Rd headquarters. Fact

Anyone could hang out and watch too, didn't bother me a bit. Fact

When I built this sbc, it was the fastest n/a 23 sb on a 10 x 28 tire, at Sunshine. Fact

The OP is a know nothing poser. Fact

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I read the first page and was puzzled as to the intent so I skipped to the last.
1:Was there a point the OP was making?
2: $950 sounds less than minimum wage for the time involved for a first build. A freshen sounds more logical.
3:Was the OP submitting that he could not assemble an engine? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
I read the first page and was puzzled as to the intent so I skipped to the last.
1:Was there a point the OP was making?
2: $950 sounds less than minimum wage for the time involved for a first build. A freshen sounds more logical.
3:Was the OP submitting that he could not assemble an engine? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

It appears, the OP is working towards a less rational world.

Isn't it what all lefty's do, daily?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed is a know nothing poser.

This thread is Ed's attempt to free no nothing poser's worldwide, from their no nothing poser positions in the hierarchy.

All Ed needs to do now is convince everyone ... bad is good and good is bad.

Typical Lefty.

We found video on my Nova at Sunshine Drag Strip back in 1969, it has been raced since it was new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All of my stuff is home built, and I don’t care who likes it and who doesn’t.
Until the OP starts paying my bills his opinion means nothing to me.

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
NOC

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 555RAT:
WTF is the point to this post? Look at me, I have a lot of money?

In my experience, people who REALLY have lots of money rarely talk about money. They leave that to the posers and wannabes.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BlahBlah Who said anything about “having lots of money” and what would that have to do with the few here that think they are special because they assemble their engines?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
BlahBlah Who said anything about “having lots of money” and what would that have to do with the few here that think they are special because they assemble their engines?

Who said I was talking about you? Sounds like a confession Smile

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
where did I state you were? I asked you..."Who said anything about “having lots of money” and what would that have to do with the few here that think they are special because they assemble their engines?" and you haven't said.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
NOC

"No One Cares"? Seriously? Big Grin Sure looks like somebody cares. Wink Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong NOC NEAL

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
NOC for mirror finish. Smile