DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
bolting together premachined and manufactured parts from a vendor is not building a engine ... assembling yes Stop

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well thank you Mike Reitow and Curly1 Iam on a mac computer and do not know how to copy and paste on this thing. Just cam in from my shop as I have been (TIG welding for a while today) for some lunch the wife made. Brought this post up and its still going. All in all were are all bracket racers here and we all understand when phrases are said like, added to much to the box, hit the bump down went red, took 3 little ones and went trip zip, took 9 should have taken 4, gave it back a thousands, sent him and it didn't work, out of it way early and still broke out, they held the tree forever,left lane is tighter and went red,on and on. But if all of us were at the same race and who ever is hanging rounds and needed help, or something to keep going we would help if we could.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
bolting together premachined and manufactured parts from a vendor is not building a engine ... assembling yes Stop

EXACTLY!!

68TSCAMARO...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:

What qualifies as building?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
For me, building, tuning, maintaining and just making it run better than most similar combos is what does it for me. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 second 2500HP T/D or a 12 second street car. Although I prefer the quick stuff! LOL

Getting win lights is just a plus.

I can agree with you here and as I see it that is much of the fun of racing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
68tscamaro corect. Thats what the techs at the car dealerships get paid to do. Recieve parts, assemble, get out the door as fast as possible as thats how everyone gets paid. Commission on the amount of parts and labor. Its is the science of mass production and we have the best machining processes we have ever had. Building a motor is a process of selection of parts to fit that particular need. You would not assemble an engine for your tow truck with the same cam, push rods, springs, heads, etc as your race motor (well depending on what you are doing) but you get the picture. A higher horsepower race motor requires more thought. Your not going to come up with 14 or 15 to 1 compression with out a carefull selection of parts. Also not all pistons will fit all heads to make that compression. Also the 24,18,14,12 degree heads all take a different piston to achieve what compression you are wanting. Also the valve reliefs if universal will leave compression on the table. Rod length,and stroke will dictate the ring pack. Ring selection also will have determained on the usage. The actual short block after the power and usage is determained is the (air pump so to speak) has to be (assembled) but with parts from different manufactures have to be matched accordingly for the build. You are not going to build a 1000 hp 565 with the same lower end bearing clearances or bearing material as your tow truck motor. Your probably not going to use a dry sump on you tow truck but you have the choice on your race motor. You may not stretch the rod bolts on your tow truck motor just torque them but you will on your race motor. Also as horspower and rpm go up, dynamic wedge of the oiling system will be different as well as deflection. OK OK OK this was not ment to be so long but 68tscamaro is right. BUT all being said above its really amazing that guys can put a turbo charger on a basically stock LS motor and make who knows 1000 1500 horsepower and we are happy if our thought out conventional head 565 makes 1075 with out power adders. jeeesh.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I build my own because I've seen first hand the cluster **** **** boxes coming from most of the professional engine builders and wouldn't trust them.

I also do more then just assemble stock parts, and enjoy the details. I also like going faster, with smaller then pretty much anyone. I build stuff all day, every single day, million dollar custom cars mainly so I enjoy details and making them.

I would quit if I couldn't build my own.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Will Harrison, Those are very impressive numbers for a 4 link 533. Great job and I see its a single carb. Will does your 235 4 link have .032 body or .040 body panels? Carbon body? Either way it cant be lighter than 1800 and probably more like 1850 with an iron dart block. Add a 175 driver and thats 1975-2025lbs and makin bacon haulin butt. Again more with less great job.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
WTF is the point to this post? Look at me, I have a lot of money? My question is how many rounds per year does this guy win? Money don't mean **** bracket racing, that's why we bracket race!

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I can easily sum this up. Some people build their own engines, some don't. From what I've seen, not many people can squeeze all the performance out and most just get it to not blow up........and some are not that lucky either. I have 0 time to work on my two cars. Most of the time I'm doing everything at the race track. I have paid to get my engines built for the last 17 years. I feel it was money well spent due to time savings and no failures. My 406 in my roadster is turned way down and it has been running 5.5X for 8 years without being disassembled. I did have a valve spring break that I didn't catch, and an oil pump break, neither of which affected long term performance of the engine. My 582 has been going 4 years without any failures. I feel my money is spent the best having my buddy build my stuff.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
Honestly, I build my own because I've seen first hand the cluster **** **** boxes coming from most of the professional engine builders and wouldn't trust them.

I also do more then just assemble stock parts, and enjoy the details. I also like going faster, with smaller then pretty much anyone. I build stuff all day, every single day, million dollar custom cars mainly so I enjoy details and making them.

I agree. plus i would be bored. Knowledge is strength. Like one of the 598's LB from a well known builder i got. Pulled it down for maint.

0.28 head gasket overhang in the bore. Wrong
Head Gaskets.

Like one of the guys we know. Brand new 820. Spit a rod out after 2 runs. Stretch and yield?
What's that. Junk rod bolts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Paradise, according to Lefties.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

From one of the most impressive here. If I Remember right Will Harrison built his chassis himself, built his motor and even painted his car himself and it is all top notch quality and performance. Now that is impressive. He even drives it himself.

One other thing is every business including Professional builders have to make payroll, insurance, building costs, utilities and other things. They have to keep moving and putting motors out to have money coming in. Sure they will try to act like your motor is the only one but in reality they are trying to do as many as possible to make a profit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Curly1,

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
quote:
trying to do as many as possible to make a profit.

DAMN CAPITALIST

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 555RAT:
WTF is the point to this post? Look at me, I have a lot of money? My question is how many rounds per year does this guy win? Money don't mean **** bracket racing, that's why we bracket race!

You nailed the point of the thread. If you read the last 2/3 pages of the “10 years since” thread I outlined his last years performance (spoiler: 5 total round wins in super comp last year over 6 races, other car broke a rod at the first race and it took him 3 months to pay someone to fix it). He also found out that his new professional built engine isn’t as fast as other similar ones either because it makes less power or he doesn’t tune it right.

You’re right, money doesn’t mean as much when bracket racing and this guy shows it.

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AGAIN, let me know when your resume equates this no mind exceeds it

2018 NHRA Division 1 S/C Champion
2019 NHRA Division 1 S/C Jegs Allstar
2019 NHRA Divsion 1 S/C #2
2019 NHRA National Event winner and runner up
2019 NHRA S/C #4 in the world

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/reading-sc

In the meantime while we wait FOREVER, we and our competitors with engines and transmissions built by PROFESSIONALS will keep doing what we do...winning rounds, races and championships. NahNahTounge

quote:

Wrong

Tell us how many home “assembled” engines powered the bracket cars that have won any of the Millions, 6 figure to win Flings and SFG races. Laughing very hard Spitting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Like it or not, there are at least a few successful racers out there who don't know a screwdriver from a hammer

Actually there are many.

Sounds like a tough neighborhood, I feel for ya.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed sounds just like Al Bundy talking about 4 touchdowns in one game every time he copies and pastes his one lucky year results. Meanwhile, clearly that was a flash in the pan based on the five total rounds won in 6 races last year in SC while the other car sat broken all season because he didn’t have the ability or money to fix it. Laughing Hard

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:

You nailed the point of the thread. If you read the last 2/3 pages of the “10 years since” thread I outlined his last years performance (spoiler: 5 total round wins in super comp last year over 6 races, other car broke a rod at the first race and it took him 3 months to pay someone to fix it). He also found out that his new professional built engine isn’t as fast as other similar ones either because it makes less power or he doesn’t tune it right.

You’re right, money doesn’t mean as much when bracket racing and this guy shows it.

I do not know or care if his new motor is faster or not, this is BRACKET racing. Like Ed said this is BRACKET racing not Pro Stock. I think most of us have broken stuff and had to scramble to get it back together or possibly miss a race. Although it is rather strange "Best stuff money can buy" and it fails.....

With that said ED brags all the time about his wins, HE has none, everything in last 10 years or more has been his son. Unless we want to go all the way back to that one time in 1995 when Special ED supposedly won a race in the Duck Pond.

ED, can you tell please tell us the story about that time you Won a race in 1995? That must have been one heck of a race for you to still be bragging about it!

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"