DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    "Good Morning Drr" 11,000 strong and growing,stop in a say hello.
Page 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 ... 786
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Good Morning Drr" 11,000 strong and growing,stop in a say hello.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Floyd its good that CA has some NHRA class racers---are there no big $$$ bracket races out West? Here Jessica Dean won $15,000 at Farmington this Sat and last week Joel Hubbard won $10,000 at Rockingham. Like my friend said about class racing " the money don't add up" in class racing. But other than the Fling in Los Vegas are there any good paying races out that way?

Posts: 6223 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Les Figueroa puts on a couple of medium dollar races but that's about it except for the Fling. It's a shame but they haven't been able to get the participation for big money races. Association races get good turnouts.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
Any idea what the purse is?

If you have all the decals correct I'd say around 10k

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4537 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
So it's about 2500 plus contingency?

Posts: 4820 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes. Well placed and correct decals pay.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4537 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I kinda figure;
2 weeks off work 2000.00 or more
Fuel for motorhome 1200.00
Entry fee 360.00
Good and drinks 1000.00
Race gas 500.00

A little over 5 grand in costs. That's just to go to the race.
Youch! Class racing could be expensive.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Chased NHRA S/G few years back---won 1 race & usually made a couple of rounds. That $10,000 figure don't add up for winning and winning a few rounds is a wash. But it looked to me like most of the participants cared less about what it paid or what it cost to be there. Especially here in the East where a normal bracket race pays $2000 to $5000 to win, is right down the road, and cost $50--$100 to enter. I know there is a place for all of us but the ROI on class racing just don't add up for anyone on a budget. The race I mentioned above where Jessica Dean won $15,000 was $225 entry for 3 days paying $10,000 every day (rained out 1 day so they had 2-$15,000 races) and if you just won a few rounds you got your entry money back. Don't need no stickers! Big Grin

Posts: 6223 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
I kinda figure;
2 weeks off work 2000.00 or more
Fuel for motorhome 1200.00
Entry fee 360.00
Good and drinks 1000.00
Race gas 500.00

A little over 5 grand in costs. That's just to go to the race.
Youch! Class racing could be expensive.

If you are in this to make money you are in the wrong sport. If we break even at a few races that's good and if not that's fine too. Not racing for the money. I like the performance challenge and tuning, that's where stock is for me. TS is fun too ( tuning/performance) and we've done pretty well. I never add up costs... Why? To redline the wife? Uh noooo.... She knows but really didn't want to know either.. BlahBlah we only get one shot in this life so make it a good one.

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
YEP!! Have to agree with Barry on this one too. Out here is the west racing NHRA has a lot of challenge's , but I really don't want to go a 4 day race to wait as much as they do. I'm glad people do its just not for me. Chris and his West Coast Bracket Races has been filling the void for Low cost race's with a good return. While the Spring Fling event in Vegas is getting a little pricey but still a great time, I wonder what Peter and Kyle are planning with Vegas going 4 wide...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine 4 wide 1/8 mile?

I know people class racing aren't doing it for the money. I know one team that won a national championship and got about 25 grand. It cost them over 50 to chase the points.

I go to the March Meet every year. It costs me from 1000 to1200 bucks for the long weekend. One time we got there late and got 1 qualifying run and lost first round. I haven't gotten a check there for several years. It's all about the fun and the experience.
We will do it again next year.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
YEP!! Have to agree with Barry on this one too. Out here is the west racing NHRA has a lot of challenge's , but I really don't want to go a 4 day race to wait as much as they do. I'm glad people do its just not for me. Chris and his West Coast Bracket Races has been filling the void for Low cost race's with a good return. While the Spring Fling event in Vegas is getting a little pricey but still a great time, I wonder what Peter and Kyle are planning with Vegas going 4

wide...

As soon as I can get a bracket motor together I will get into Fling Mode. I have the parts and no time (house sale) right now. Just can't do both at one time. This new class motor has $et me back especially finding good steel heads. 3 sets all cracked. Aluminum GM head is next. I love bracket racing and I've done it for 40 or more years.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bracket motor? Neighbor drove his 9sec 1/8th mile to Piedmont yesterday and won 5 rounds. And that is a tough crowd up there Wink

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Barry , one thing I have learned hanging out with stockers. Be prepared to do two things ,
1. is doing a lot of testing.
2. spending a lot of cash finding the right good parts for the combo....

I respect anyone who decides to race a Super Stocker or a Stocker. Its a rough road for the first couple of years.

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Bracket motor? Neighbor drove his 9sec 1/8th mile to Piedmont yesterday and won 5 rounds. And that is a tough crowd up there Wink

Fern , was he that good or that Lucky..... LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Lol, my old heap runs 6.30's. I could drive it there. It is street legal... A mild 427 will run 10.50 at 3600 lbs or faster all day long with no issues. That's what ? 6.60's? I'll get there Fern, trust me.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My race car currently only runs 6.50s but its a stretch to make an Oldsmobile engine go that fast but I have ran as fast as 6.33 with another Olds engine.....I have been fast before when I was younger, real fast, but at 76 years old this is fast enough for me. Got to get off of here, going to pick up new high speed lawn mower. 26hp with 54in deck Big Grin You all have a good day and everyone affected by hurricanes keep your head down.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Mornin' all! Over center day! We got round 1 of Modified in Saturday. I jumped too soon. Worst part is, if I had been .004 less red, my opponent would have left first, way way red, we were .03 apart on the dial ins. Nice weekend even still. After the rain, we had about 30 people at a local place for dinner and hanging out, including a number of kids, great stuff.

Nick, that's nice to have the option. I understand what you're saying about choosing to go with the Fling and more racing. At our bracket finals, we have gamblers races Thursday and Friday, main event Saturday, don't know if yours are the same. When we were NHRA, it was time trials only on Thursday and Friday.

You all have a good day!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Good morning all ... LOL had my post done and hit the wrong key and now I'm starting over...LOL
Kind of like my drive in, the freeway was stopped because of two woman in the middle two lanes stopped and screaming at we other... Made me laugh all the way in...

Chuck, that sounded like a real for time, wish you could have gone a few more rounds. I really like the part about hanging out after wards and eating with friends , you just cant go enough of that ... I'm thinking about taking the tow to Wild Horse Pass, but as sick as I was last weekend I'll wait to Friday to make that call...
The tracks here open for Friday Night Drags , but with my work never been able to make one. I have been told the track is not that good on those nights , mostly street car about 10 to 1.
Tucson has just pulled up the small burnout boxes and installed 25'of level concrete in that area, and also worked on a small dip in left lane. All the dragster say is pretty bad so I hope they like it better...

Fern, I'm with you my mid 10 second car is fast as I want to go. The best part for me is the easy maintenance program on my car , been going rounds with the same motor for 5 years and all checks on leak down show little wear, 2 years ago replace all bearing cause I had the pan off. A friend who was doing a new build saw them and used them as they looked new, that was in a 750 horse power dragster.... LOL
A new fast mower sounds great, I was reading another thread and Fern you goy some huge storage units , sound like a great piece of property, I sure wish I had 1/4 of what you got...LOL

Barry, my poor little SBC in a tube chassis from the firewall back weighing in at 2780 with me in it only runs 10.40 at 5200 adjusted(extra mild turn). That street car is one fast good looking car ...

Floyd , A/C all good now, hope you and Woody are doing good. How did your friends at Indy do?
I had two Arizona race both lost by three round....Must have been a real long tow home...

Everyone Have A Great Day!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J178RED,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Mornin' all! We're on a stretch of cool weather still, not getting out of the 60s until maybe Sunday. It makes for nice sleeping at night, and the AC unit has had a long break. My electric bill likes that. Hoping the weather cooperates for tomorrow, want to try a couple of things with the carb.

Nick, I love the hanging out. It is a family. I hope you're feeling better. Street cars sure are hard on a track surface, and it can be a losing battle after a couple of sessions if you're a higher powered race car.

Fern, I'm liking the G body. 7.14 at 95, 11.28 at 118 are bests so far. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll go for 10.50s or so, but this is great for me right now, pump gas to boot. Now if the Powerball happens, first call I'm making is to Rocket Racing for one of their new blocks. Big Grin

You all have a great day!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Chuck we are getting cool weather here too. Allows me to keep the AC off in the house which is a big house to cool. My Electric bill was about $40 cheaper due to a few days of good weather.

I love being a low maintenance car. I did get a brand new engine, trans and converter, but got a rear that will go who knows when. 12.40s. I love it because I can cruise all day long with it.

This Saturday at Maple will be crazy. Index racing, $3k Footbrake race, and normal bracket racing for a Wally. I will be running 12.50 index, street and not sure if I want to do Pro or the $3k race.

Posts: 593 | Location: West Chester, PA | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post