DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I'll never forget Jeff Lutz at Drag Week 2 years ago at PRP, 7.05 at 200mph in the 3500lb '57 Chevy, chutes didn't open, and he still got it stopped well before the last turnoff.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prest911:
just wondering something!!why do the pro mods only run 8th mile?they have chutes also!just wondering.
I run almost 190 in the 1/8 and by the time I lift it's even faster,I have carbon brakes so I could stop with out the chutes but why would I want to do that.If somthing goes wrong there's NO second chance.everbody always worrys about going faster, nobody thinks twice about stopping . I crashed pretty bad in 91.ever since then stopping has been just as important as going fast. on another note I myself think it's harder to race 1/8 mile. but hey thats just me me and the monster will be down there on the 6th Car

Posts: 59 | Location: toledo | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
Remember, a parachute is a racers best friend

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
just wondering something!!why do the pro mods only run 8th mile?they have chutes also!just wondering.

Bill I hate to do this to you but you asked. Our cars run MPH in the 1/8th that your car can't run in a 1/4 mile sorry.

Posts: 36 | Location: pgh pa | Registered: January 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D N J R:
quote:

Bill I hate to do this to you but you asked. Our cars run MPH in the 1/8th that your car can't run in a 1/4 mile sorry.
now that's just mean Rolling

Posts: 59 | Location: toledo | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
He's just EASY I think he enjoys it. LoL

Posts: 36 | Location: pgh pa | Registered: January 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
[QU No NoOTE]Originally posted by VX96:
1/8?? Isnt that a cus word at PRP? 1/8 why in the world would you EVER want to do that? PRP guys would rather wreck or cansell before racing 1/8.[/QUOTE]DUH??? can't really say I understand this comment! I like going fast to,but 1/8 mile is still harder to race Wave

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Carr
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to start any ****. I brought this upo a few times backwhen I raced Stock Eliminator. PRP ran the last few IHRA Pro-Am Divisional races 1/8 mile, due to concerns over the shut-down area length. Back in 1972, Tommy Ivo made the first Top Fuel run ever in the five second zone (5.97 I think)...probably 230-235 mph, and stopped OK. Now, in 2008, the shutdown was longer, the cars are fifty mph slower, and people are worried they can't stop. Just doesn't seem to add up to me (I'm a dumb thirty-two year old...what do I know Rolling ). That's just me. I wish IHRA had done at PRP what they did at an IHRA Div 4 race--ran Top Sportsman/Dragster 1/8 mile, and Stock, S/Stock and the .90 classes 1/4 mile--everyone was happy. Many racers stayed home from the PRP Div'l races because they were 1/8 mile.

Mike Carr
Tri-State Stock/Stock Association President
Retired Stock/bracket racer
Facebook/Twitter: buffdaddy1302

Posts: 59 | Location: Enon Valley PA | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
i'm very surprised some of you guys are even wondering why.... i mean, i'm just a long time fan turned rookie racer, but everyone on the planet knows why a shutdown area is so long, it's not that length for the cars that have no problems, it's for the cars IN trouble... NHRA 1000 foot nitro is THE biggest example of that, most of the tracks are too short for when things go wrong with a 300mph car, when a car is unable to stop for whatever reason... with a 250mph car, PRP is too short for when things go wrong, even with a 200mph car it can be dicey... Lutz was very lucky he got it stopped in time, and he barely got it stopped in time, and that was only with a chute failure... his brakes held out, but if they didn't, if they overheated and had too much fade, he would not have stopped... i'd love to see the ProMods run 1/4 (and i personally am not a fan of 1/8th mile), but they're obviously way too fast to run 1/4 at our track, there's just not enough shutdown should there be a problem (like failed chutes, overheated brakes, or even a catastrophic failure like an engine explosion and the driver can't see a thing in his/her own fireball, much less deal with oil on the brakes)... PRP's management are no fools, they're very smart for only running 1/8th for the really fast cars...

and has anyone ever looked at what's behind that little sand pit? woohoo talkin' about big air time! hah... that's a hell of a view back there... if i ever hit that pit, even in my lowly slow car, i guarantee you i'll be in serious pucker up mode... lol

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

Posts: 129 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: November 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Carr:
I don't mean to start any ****. I brought this upo a few times backwhen I raced Stock Eliminator. PRP ran the last few IHRA Pro-Am Divisional races 1/8 mile, due to concerns over the shut-down area length. Back in 1972, Tommy Ivo made the first Top Fuel run ever in the five second zone (5.97 I think)...probably 230-235 mph, and stopped OK. Now, in 2008, the shutdown was longer, the cars are fifty mph slower, and people are worried they can't stop. Just doesn't seem to add up to me (I'm a dumb thirty-two year old...what do I know Rolling ). That's just me. I wish IHRA had done at PRP what they did at an IHRA Div 4 race--ran Top Sportsman/Dragster 1/8 mile, and Stock, S/Stock and the .90 classes 1/4 mile--everyone was happy. Many racers stayed home from the PRP Div'l races because they were 1/8 mile.

Like I said before, it's not that they can't stop. It's that they choose to reduce the risk if something should go wrong.

190 in the 1/4 is no joke to try to stop, no matter what type of vehicle you have, especially without chutes. For me, 175 is no problem at all to stop and I could probably do it without any issues with just my back brakes and downshifting if needed.

If I were to choose to turn it up and run 190+, if something were wrong with any of the brakes, the front tire would likely at least be touching the sand. I don't really like the beach all that much. Especially not in New Alexandria...

My bike is WAY lighter than cars. But I also only have a 1" X 3" contact patch to try to stop it with.

Posts: 85 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: June 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ratty:
i'm very surprised some of you guys are even wondering why.... i mean, i'm just a long time fan turned rookie racer, but everyone on the planet knows why a shutdown area is so long, it's not that length for the cars that have no problems, it's for the cars IN trouble... NHRA 1000 foot nitro is THE biggest example of that, most of the tracks are too short for when things go wrong with a 300mph car, when a car is unable to stop for whatever reason... with a 250mph car, PRP is too short for when things go wrong, even with a 200mph car it can be dicey... Lutz was very lucky he got it stopped in time, and he barely got it stopped in time, and that was only with a chute failure... his brakes held out, but if they didn't, if they overheated and had too much fade, he would not have stopped... i'd love to see the ProMods run 1/4 (and i personally am not a fan of 1/8th mile), but they're obviously way too fast to run 1/4 at our track, there's just not enough shutdown should there be a problem (like failed chutes, overheated brakes, or even a catastrophic failure like an engine explosion and the driver can't see a thing in his/her own fireball, much less deal with oil on the brakes)... PRP's management are no fools, they're very smart for only running 1/8th for the really fast cars...

and has anyone ever looked at what's behind that little sand pit? woohoo talkin' about big air time! hah... that's a hell of a view back there... if i ever hit that pit, even in my lowly slow car, i guarantee you i'll be in serious pucker up mode... lol
I'm impressed! sombody is thinking. I would to run the 1/4 ,but your point is the reason we don't.I crashed in 91 because of a brake problem ,3 weeks in the hospital and 6 months off work and I was only going 160.1000 people might go down the track with no problem,but it only takes one to have an issue.I am sure nobody ever thinks he's going to be that person,I didn't. there nothing like going 235mph,I love doing it ,but I'll only do it on a track that can handle it if I have a problem, (that is all have a nice day) bow

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Now that I’m seeing the good old 1/8 vs 1/4 debate I’m starting to get worried. I don’t mind if they decide to run 1/8 I would just like to know ahead of time so I can make other plans. I’m not participating in the debate I just would like the track to announce it in somewhat of a timely manner.

I don’t want to go down this weekend and find out they’re running 1/8 by seeing cars go down the track when I’m pulling through the gate! Would suck too because I have any unused rain ticket!

Posts: 90 | Location: Johnstown | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was told years ago by someone that has won races, the reason for 1/8 mile racing is too many people burn their stuff up trying to go 1/4 mile and that would hurt the car counts.

Now stop stirring the pot........

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
now why they run 1/8th mile for slower cars (on a 1/4 mile track), THAT i'll never understand...

especially if the supposed excuse is that there is a huge car count and they want to quicken things up, thinking 1/8th mile is quicker than 1/4 mile, to get them off the track quicker... that makes no sense to me, as the cars are still on the track the same amount of time anyway, they still have to get to the turnoffs, and many run it out to the same turnoffs that they would when they do 1/4... if anything, i would think that takes longer...

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

Posts: 129 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: November 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Donnelly:
Now that I’m seeing the good old 1/8 vs 1/4 debate I’m starting to get worried. I don’t mind if they decide to run 1/8 I would just like to know ahead of time so I can make other plans. I’m not participating in the debate I just would like the track to announce it in somewhat of a timely manner.

I don’t want to go down this weekend and find out they’re running 1/8 by seeing cars go down the track when I’m pulling through the gate! Would suck too because I have any unused rain ticket!
Smile just a quick question or two,how fast is your car? and do you want to race or just run your car? why? because there nothing wrong with wanting to beat on your your car,that's why most people do this. now if you want to race that's a differant story.bracket racing is a game of skills,hitting the tree knowing your car and driving the stripe.running the 1/4 mile you have so much more time to get it right,1/8 mile, like it or not take a little more skill because you have to to do the sameting in much less time.I bracket raced for over 40 years,and I find the 1/8 mile races make you feel a little better when you win for this reason alone.this and the fact that that most engine and driveline damage is done in the last 1/8 mile(track clean up)this and safety are most of the reasons we run the 1/8.over the years I've been to many races that changed to 1/8 after 1 or 2 time trials for one reason or another(I'm pretty sure the owners don't do to run us off,they have a good reason or they wouldn't change the format Wave

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro 301g
posted Hide Post
I wanna go fast.... Ricky Bobby

Abruzzi Converters Advance Auto Parts
Wiseco Pistons
Dart Blocks
Ronald McDonald House Akron

Posts: 629 | Location: Home | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ratty:
now why they run 1/8th mile for slower cars (on a 1/4 mile track), THAT i'll never understand...

especially if the supposed excuse is that there is a huge car count and they want to quicken things up, thinking 1/8th mile is quicker than 1/4 mile, to get them off the track quicker... that makes no sense to me, as the cars are still on the track the same amount of time anyway, they still have to get to the turnoffs, and many run it out to the same turnoffs that they would when they do 1/4... if anything, i would think that takes longer...
Eyes next time you're in the lanes wondering what the hold up is ,check and see if there cleaning the last half the track because there was a street or pro car trashing a motor without a diapor on it.that takes more time that than running 50 pairs down the track( if you have a big show with a lot of cars, first you have more cars that might break second, you have a bunch of guys upset that they only get to make one time trial)before anybody says anything I know the fast guys mess up the track to, but most of those cars have a contanment system on them-- I know I upset someone someway someware Praying

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
no problem mr dave,my car runs as fast as my wallet can allow it,just asking why pro mods only run 8th!!i dont have an issue with 1/4 mile.would prefer 8th,but,hell breaks and rotors are cheap,,right?
quote:
quote:

Photobucket

Posts: 3065 | Location: pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ok,done stirring the pot.but i got 1 more question..'IF" mother nature wins all 3 days.what happens then?flyer says no rain checks,will there be refunds?i know i should,but im a poor boy these days i need to know.

Photobucket

Posts: 3065 | Location: pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of doorman
posted Hide Post
thats funny stuff i remember 20 years ago when the track was bad and a lot shorter cars going well over 200 mph
just saying
quote:
quote:

Posts: 191 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post