DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top comp:
quote:
Originally posted by ratty:
quote:
Eyes next time you're in the lanes wondering what the hold up is ,check and see if there cleaning the last half the track because there was a street or pro car trashing a motor without a diapor on it.that takes more time that than running 50 pairs down the track( if you have a big show with a lot of cars, first you have more cars that might break second, you have a bunch of guys upset that they only get to make one time trial)before anybody says anything I know the fast guys mess up the track to, but most of those cars have a contanment system on them-- I know I upset someone someway someware Praying

so is that why they do it? a lot higher chance that the slower cars will oil the track in the back half? to prevent oil down delays? i guess that would make sense, but i don't see too many slower cars blowing up... the blowing up seems to increase with the power level... the more power, the more chance of an oildown (not including just street cars with bad maintenance habits... you'll see that sometimes on a Test & Tune night...), but on race days, I don't usually see the slower cars blowing up and oiling the track... or maybe i've just been missing it, while wiping down my little oil leaks between rounds (hey, i'm fixing those! that's why i haven't been around the past few weeks... hah)...
Smileyou should have been with us at indy for the mopar race-3 days 17 hours of track clean up-90% pro cars.I rest my case-they all blow up,but some have enough stuff on the car so they don't trash the track when it happens/I know about oiling the track if you remember I took the oil filter off with the blower belt,and I don't know any else that has oiled the track that way.it happens to every type of car,stock rods, cast cranks and other oem type parts fail .that last 1/8 mile is very hard on that type of part, even the best part have limits. Banging Head

i couldn't get my oil filter off last week, so i grabbed a blower belt that i had that i got from a fuel car at a National i went to, and i kept slapping it against the filter, as hard as i could... it still wouldn't come off... you Pro guys must have some special technique... i guess i'll chalk it up to just being a rookie... hehe Big Grin

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

Posts: 129 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: November 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
and wow btw, 17 hours of clean-up, that has to be a record or something...

well it was a Mopar event... bwahahaha hehe... Laughing Big Grin

sorry, too much coffee here today Sorry Big Grin

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

Posts: 129 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: November 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
just kidding of course Keith, you know i have the utmost respect for you guys... but since everyone is racing but myself this weekend, i gotta take my frustrations out on someone... ha

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
There's a couple of good bazinga's.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Asphalt Wars portion of Saturday's show has been cancelled due to the crappy weather forecast. With the distance that many of the Pro Mod and Outlaw Dragster teams have to travel we felt it would be better to make this decision now and save them the cost of towing to PRP just to get rained on.

Now that we have cancelled the Asphalt Wars the weather should be bright and sunny for the bracket races.

I will be coming up to the track Saturday so if you were planning to bring some video for me I'll be there to get it, thanks.

Posts: 153 | Location: the Heights of Brighton | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
does anyone know if the rain is really bad this weekend, if the event will get rescheduled for next weekend? or will that be too much in conflict with say, QC's event?

i'm unable to race this weekend but i mayyy be able to next weekend... just wondering... hope it doesn't rain out for all of you of course, not trying to put a hex on it... ha

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
It would be a poor business decision to go on top of QC's event, thats just my opinion. While I am giving opinions...I really don't think we are going to lose this whole event due to weather...as they say its not raining until there is water falling from the sky. Hard to tell what its going to do. Local news is saying rain late tonight into the am tomorrow then mostly dry Saturday, and then basically who knows for Sunday.

Jones Transmission Pumps
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
thanks Mark! yeah i think it'll be fine, so far the forecast is showing the main rain late tonight, so i figure the track will be spending saturday morning drying it out... maybe a little late to run the first TT's, but probably fine after that...

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm hopeful that you will get a race in Saturday. The plan was to start qualifying for the Asphalt Wars early in an attempt to get their fianl rounds in just before the seven o'clock trick-or-treat break. With the expected cold temperatures the dew is going to come in heavy when the sun goes down and nobody wants to send a 2500 HP car down a dewy track. Qualifying and eliminations for both the Asphalt Wars classes has got to take up two and a half hours of track time. That two and a half hours might be just the cushion you need to get the full bracket program done. I didn't get anything done at work today I got so many calls from racers 5-8 hours away who wanted to know if they should make the tow. Carmen and I figured cancelling the Asphalt Wars might work out best for everyobdy. So now instead of a partial race for everybody there's a good chance the rest of the program can be run. Besides, now that we cancelled early, THERE WON'T BE ANY RAIN!!

Posts: 153 | Location: the Heights of Brighton | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great start to the GGG! Great turn out for a Friday night with what was a poor weather forecast. The forecast (knock on wood) has gotten much better. Looks like the rain is gone for today and just a slight chance for tomorrow.

And if anyone is keeping score, no box had a good bit more cars and had a flawless night. Box class (fast cars) well can't say the same. There was oil down, fire, and other mishaps. We will see how today plays out.

Oh and we did run 1/4 mile all night with no problems.

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Oil Down! Fire! Other Mishaps!???

Yet we claim 1/4mile NO PROBLEMS!? Hum

What 1/2 the track where these MISHAPS? My $$ is on the top 1/2.

On that note glad to here things went well. Who was the winners?

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VX96:

So what is the real deal with wanting to run a heads the 1/8th only? Is it the shutdown length due to safety or is it that the car won't stay together long enough to run the whole 1/4?

If it is the stopping distance, I understand. If it is to try to save the motor, just build it to stay together or tune it within practical limits.

Hell, My bike broke a rod during first round of the 1/8th mile race before the bracket finals.

If you want to lift early, go for it. If you want to race 1/8th mile, it is probably best to find an 1/8th mile track to run at.

Posts: 85 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: June 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John_Gover:
quote:

So what is the real deal with wanting to run a heads the 1/8th only? Is it the shutdown length due to safety or is it that the car won't stay together long enough to run the whole 1/4?

If it is the stopping distance, I understand. If it is to try to save the motor, just build it to stay together or tune it within practical limits.

Hell, My bike broke a rod during first round of the 1/8th mile race before the bracket finals.

If you want to lift early, go for it. If you want to race 1/8th mile, it is probably best to find an 1/8th mile track to run at.
Smile OK YOU GUYS NEED TO GIVE THIS ONE A BREAK, plain and simple,if you go fast(and some of us do) and you have a problem, you all the room you can get. most people spend as much money as they can to build their rides. and if you broke a rod,either it was to old on to weak,we all have the choice on what we want to run 1/8 or 1/4, we just need to go to the track that's running that This thread is dead

Posts: 59 | Location: toledo | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The length of Prps shut down is the main issue.

As far as 1/8 - 1/4 thing. If all ur into is making longlaps just to see how fast you can go. Then sure PRP has a 1/4 mile T&T night for that.

If your truely into the competition side of racing, and like see the winner circle from time to time then 1/8 is the way to go!

As far as my motor program. Id be willing to bet its way better then most, in the non sponsered bracket racing end of this game.

In no way am I tring to bash PRP. Just saying if the GGG race was 1/8 or 1000ft. I and others would more then likey be there.

HighSchool shop teacher once told me. "People are afraid of change" I believe him now.

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
The length of Prps shut down is the main issue.

As far as 1/8 - 1/4 thing. If all ur into is making longlaps just to see how fast you can go. Then sure PRP has a 1/4 mile T&T night for that.

If your truely into the competition side of racing, and like see the winner circle from time to time then 1/8 is the way to go!

As far as my motor program. Id be willing to bet its way better then most, in the non sponsered bracket racing end of this game.

In no way am I tring to bash PRP. Just saying if the GGG race was 1/8 or 1000ft. I and others would more then likey be there.

HighSchool shop teacher once told me. "People are afraid of change" I believe him now.
hey I not trying to get down on your stuff. when I started drag racing(1969) things were totaly differant.things that pro stocks didn't have then the average bracket racer has today I love 1/4 mile,but I'll be the first one to pull it back to 1/8 mile or 1000ft.I have lost freinds to this sport over years and been hurt pretty bad myself. so if all my rantting helps or saves anyone then it is worth it.trust me any body that knows me knows I'm alway bi--hing about the safty of their cars or the tracks that we run at.but I only do it for the love of the sport and my freinds.and like before 1/8 mile (I think) is tougher to race,but I also love to go 230mph Car

Posts: 59 | Location: toledo | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
i love to pick my own brain and others who obviously know a lot more than me, sorry if i'm still on the subject, but concerning the question of parts breaking more in the 1/4 than the 1/8th, i wondered while i was unable to fall asleep last night at 4am (what the hell, insomnia is one of the problems of getting old? i thought old people slept more?!)... why should parts break more in the back half of the track? i hit my 1st shift point, 7100rpm, just past the 330.. so i'm stressing out my engine before i even hit the 1/8th, then i'm back down to around 5500rpm and start clawing my way back up to my 2nd shift around the 1000'... the only thing that's spinning more is my rear end... i guess my transmission is being put through its paces... though i would think any catastrophic transmission failures usually happen at the hit, not downtrack... unless we're talking a power adder car, like a nitrous car hitting it's 2nd or 3rd stage downtrack... but for an N/A car, all the max stresses happen before the 1/8th... not including out of shape cars wrecking, just talking about engine/parts blow ups

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
i love to pick my own brain and others who obviously know a lot more than me, sorry if i'm still on the subject, but concerning the question of parts breaking more in the 1/4 than the 1/8th, i wondered while i was unable to fall asleep last night at 4am (what the hell, insomnia is one of the problems of getting old? i thought old people slept more?!)... why should parts break more in the back half of the track? i hit my 1st shift point, 7100rpm, just past the 330.. so i'm stressing out my engine before i even hit the 1/8th, then i'm back down to around 5500rpm and start clawing my way back up to my 2nd shift around the 1000'... the only thing that's spinning more is my rear end... i guess my transmission is being put through its paces... though i would think any catastrophic transmission failures usually happen at the hit, not downtrack... unless we're talking a power adder car, like a nitrous car hitting it's 2nd or 3rd stage downtrack... but for an N/A car, all the max stresses happen before the 1/8th... not including out of shape cars wrecking, just talking about engine/parts blow ups

Most of the fast vehicles have forced induction. During the first half of the track, the engine is still not near steadystate operating conditions, and the last 2.5 seconds or so (second half of the track) are under full power at high RPM. Lots of engines are really being pushed hard. they still aren't really steadystate through the back half.

As for my rod breakage on the bike, it was likely a case of being worn out. I had a conversation with Jordan Hasse just that day that I wasn't sure how long the engines would last when being pushed as hard as I was pushing them. Now I have at least 1 data point, although I noticed some oil in the intake tract from the turbo compressor housing which may have caused some detonation.

Posts: 85 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: June 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of top comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John_Gover:
quote:

Most of the fast vehicles have forced induction. During the first half of the track, the engine is still not near steadystate operating conditions, and the last 2.5 seconds or so (second half of the track) are under full power at high RPM. Lots of engines are really being pushed hard. they still aren't really steadystate through the back half.

As for my rod breakage on the bike, it was likely a case of being worn out. I had a conversation with Jordan Hasse just that day that I wasn't sure how long the engines would last when being pushed as hard as I was pushing them. Now I have at least 1 data point, although I noticed some oil in the intake tract from the turbo compressor housing which may have caused some detonation.
Smile my take on this is in the last 1/8 mile the load is very differant than the first 1/8. In the first 1/8 the engine is loaded against the trans and convertor in each gear,once in high gear the load is totaly differant,most cars are in high gear before the second 1/8 and travel with rpms going up at a slower pace but for the entire 1/8 mile,the time the engine spend at that high rpm is much longer.this is the time when most (but not all) damage happens.on our car I shift at 8,400rpm and I'm in high gear before the back half.even with the low rear gear ratio we run,the motor rpm doesn't get much higher, it kind of hangs there(this is where the differant load comes into play)spin anythine fast enought with a smaller load and it will come apart. I hope I helped you to get somr sleep now Sleep

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good point Kieth. Safety is a huge issue with the speeds that we are now bracket racing. While we have spend hundreds of dollars each year to upgrade and maintain OUR safety equipment and keeping the car in top condition, many tracks have not done the same. Sure they have spent money to keep the surface in good condition, most tracks have not changed to accommodate the progression of the cars for ET/MPH we now run. Most of the these tracks still have the same length shutdown and guard rails in place from decades ago when a 9 second car was fast.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of ratty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smile my take on this is in the last 1/8 mile the load is very differant than the first 1/8. In the first 1/8 the engine is loaded against the trans and convertor in each gear,once in high gear the load is totaly differant,most cars are in high gear before the second 1/8 and travel with rpms going up at a slower pace but for the entire 1/8 mile,the time the engine spend at that high rpm is much longer.this is the time when most (but not all) damage happens.on our car I shift at 8,400rpm and I'm in high gear before the back half.even with the low rear gear ratio we run,the motor rpm doesn't get much higher, it kind of hangs there(this is where the differant load comes into play)spin anythine fast enought with a smaller load and it will come apart. I hope I helped you to get somr sleep now Sleep

hmm that's an interesting take on it... in my mind that seems to suggest harmonic vibrations are the culprit, when going from high loads to lower loads... maybe harmonic balancers are just not very good in dampening, they can't keep up with a decrease in loads, only on the increase... timing belts may have the same problem, they dampen well on the increase, but not on the decrease...

interesting... something tells me i'll be up all night again... ha

2X48
Pittsburgh Raceway Park
pump gas NA 406
1.52 7.17 11.32 117

still a rookie