DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
BobW, really??? Rain??? How much did you get???
Laughing Big Grin

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prest911:
if thats what you think!! Wink
Ok, even if Matty boxes have progressed to the point of controlling the throttle down track they still wouldn’t be any worse than a delay box, which launches the car!

Posts: 90 | Location: Johnstown | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Donnelly:
quote:
Originally posted by prest911:
if thats what you think!! Wink
Ok, even if Matty boxes have progressed to the point of controlling the throttle down track they still wouldn’t be any worse than a delay box, which launches the car!

All a delay box does is hold the trans brake for a set amount of time once the button is let go. It is no different than a guy hitting the bottom bulb. The spot that a box racer hits in the top bulb is no different then a no-box racer hitting a spot in the bottom. It does not make you go .00x every hit or run dead on. Not sure what is so wrong about a delay box? The device mentioned above was a real time track locator that could make a car run the same number every run. I don't see the comparison.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I didn’t say there was anything wrong with a delay box! It’s perfectly legal in Top. I’m saying by the same logic Matty boxes should be legal!

And box racing is very different than no box racing. A lot of guys in the 10’s or better need a little hesitation after the bottom bulb which makes it tough to not only be accurate but consistent on your reaction. All a box guy has to do is be consistent! Hell, they don’t even need to worry about how human and vehicle reactions change from week to week. Just adjust the box! Much, much easier!!! Plus there is the second chance if you’re spotting a slow enough guy.

When the box reaches the dialed in time IT RELEASES THE TRANS BRAKE AND LAUNCHES THE VEHICLE! When it launches the vehicle it controls it! Most of the Matty boxes I’ve heard of don’t even do this. To my knowledge guys hook them up through the Tach and as long as the driver keeps the needle at the 12 o’clock position via adjusting the throttle he/she will run the dial.

Posts: 90 | Location: Johnstown | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro 301g
posted Hide Post
I know guys that bottom bulb 9 second cars.. watched Randy Biddle Jr. do it last year.. Dont need to hesitate.. you need to learn how to adjust the car to you... Just a thought..
my bottom bulb car goes 10.40s. Plenty of options with buttons, springs, tire pressure, and shocks to make you go green as soon as you see it. P.M me if you need help.
Still have human error with a box... IMOP I dont think its any harder to adjust my no box car.. compared to reaching in and dialing in numbers..

I agree with Pink.. A matty box makes the car run on the dial with driveshaft and wheel sensors... Ask Prest.. He has mine!!

Abruzzi Converters Advance Auto Parts
Wiseco Pistons
Dart Blocks
Ronald McDonald House Akron

Posts: 629 | Location: Home | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't have any problems taking my box out of my 8 second ride and hitting the tree just have to make a few simple changes in launch rpms and go to long travel button, I also stage a little different.

Posts: 2593 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Boy I must be old fashion. I still use my two feet and two pedals to race. This whole time I have been working on the car to get it to repeat through tuning and all I need to gets is a matty box.

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr. Hyde
posted Hide Post
I know there are things that need to be done when a driver is running a Matty Box. There's stuff that needs programmed in when a car is prestaged. He would not be able to do this while wearing fire gloves.

Posts: 15 | Location: Torrance, PA | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mr. Hyde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
It would help if they did like Norwalk and Quaker, have a track personel putting cars in the lanes at the back and then pulling them front to back for racing. I never cared for being able to chose your lane when pulling into the lanes for racing and then after the lanes started to fill unevenly they put somebody back there forcing you into the other lane,either everybody gets to pick or nobody gets to pick.

OMG what about guys in top some can only run the right lane duh

Posts: 15 | Location: Torrance, PA | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Looks like I made a bad call on the weather. My recollection of the weather was that it did rain around the track but did not make it there. There were a couple other factors in my decision not to come out and play with you guys. Looks like rain for this weekend also, you might want to keep your rubber duck handy, lol. Hope to see you this weekend.

Posts: 55 | Location: Mount Pleasant PA | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pro 301g:
I know guys that bottom bulb 9 second cars.. watched Randy Biddle Jr. do it last year.. Dont need to hesitate.. you need to learn how to adjust the car to you... Just a thought..
my bottom bulb car goes 10.40s. Plenty of options with buttons, springs, tire pressure, and shocks to make you go green as soon as you see it.
Transbrake buttons are pretty much just a poor man’s delay box and really shouldn’t be legal in Mod/Street/No Box. In fact they aren’t legal in races that are advertised as “footbrake” races. You take away the adjustable transbrake buttons and there’s much less you can do to adjust the reaction of the car. This then forces the driver to adjust his/her reaction to the car.

I don’t see what difference the effectiveness of a matty box means in whether they should be legal. A lot of guys in Top that run big dollar races have their delay boxes tuned in well enough to consistently hit .00x lights all day long! What difference is that compared to a well tuned matty box that can consistently run the dial .00x off every round?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, forget the Matty Box. Let's just go Mythbuster on your Stang and make it so you can stand at the finish and drive it, like a Drone. I'm sure we can find a dummy to strap in the seat. Could even leave it's shirt off so everyone thinks it's you.

Posts: 199 | Location: PA | Registered: September 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wait, Prest has a Matty Box? And he still can't win? He must be feeling the affects of the Obama plan. Times are tough all over.

Posts: 199 | Location: PA | Registered: September 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Transbrake buttons are pretty much just a poor man’s delay box and really shouldn’t be legal in Mod/Street/No Box. In fact they aren’t legal in races that are advertised as “footbrake” races. You take away the adjustable transbrake buttons and there’s much less you can do to adjust the reaction of the car. This then forces the driver to adjust his/her reaction to the car.

Have you ever used a trans-brake? Have you ever used a regular button vs. a long button? I trans-braked for 2 seasons...poor mans delay box? No more than the tach that is mounted on my dash or the tire pressure gauge laying on my passenger side floor. I footbrake now, I like being able to adjust on the fly. Feeling amped...bring it down on the converter a few RPM.

Should trans-brakes be legal? Sure...who cares. You mention Footbrake classes...well those are just that,FOOTBRAKE classes. If you don't like running with the trans-brake cars in MOD run street.

Jones Transmission Pumps

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Bob, I had to tease you on it. Big Grin And it's rubber duckY, thank you. But I'm hoping the forecast I saw this morning for Saturday holds.

Prest... thanks, thanks a lot.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A Biondo Terminator button is advertised to slow you down .045. It probably isn’t quite that smooth but I don’t care how loose your convertor is, adjusting launch RPM’s isn’t going to be anywhere near that!

And I, for one, don’t find much sport in slowing my car down and taking advantage of some street racers. I much more prefer to run Top just footbraking. But that’s just me!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Biondo Terminator button is advertised to slow you down .045. It probably isn’t quite that smooth but I don’t care how loose your convertor is, adjusting launch RPM’s isn’t going to be anywhere near that!

And I, for one, don’t find much sport in slowing my car down and taking advantage of some street racers. I much more prefer to run Top just footbraking. But that’s just me!

You don't think I can adjust my car .045? lol...ok.

Thats right...I forgot you won't even slow your car down enough to meet the roll bar rule.

Taking advantage of street cars...lol. Huge lack of respect right there. I know a few of those fine folks that would put you on the trailer REAL quick.

Jones Transmission Pumps

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Correct, I don’t think you can.

Also correct. A lot of IHRA/NHRA rules are bogus. Running low 11’s at 120 mph on a drag strip, in a straight line is nowhere near as dangerous as riding my sport bike at the same speed around a road course, which is where I was last weekend.

There is nothing stopping them from running in Mod!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct, I don’t think you can.

Also correct. A lot of IHRA/NHRA rules are bogus. Running low 11’s at 120 mph on a drag strip, in a straight line is nowhere near as dangerous as riding my sport bike at the same speed around a road course, which is where I was last weekend.

There is nothing stopping them from running in Mod!

Because YOU think IHRA/NHRA rules are bogus that gives you the right to ignore them?

Oh and I can stage my car from idle to 3500, front tires from 25-50 lbs of air and rear tires from 12-18 lbs of air, the combination of which I guarantee can be and IS worth .045.

Jones Transmission Pumps

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro 301g
posted Hide Post
Mark, dont waiste ur knowlegde. People that actually can race see what this is all about.. Maybe we need a grudge match!!! How many finals were you in footbraking last year?? Just gotta laugh!

P.s. If ur footbraking in Super Pro come and follow me in the lanes.. I'm terrible!!

Abruzzi Converters Advance Auto Parts
Wiseco Pistons
Dart Blocks
Ronald McDonald House Akron

Posts: 629 | Location: Home | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post