DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was blown away by our racing families response to one of our own, Nikki Deniker.

You all deserve a JOB WELL DONE and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Posts: 88 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark-Have u heard from the CSI guy yet?I hope he makes it up to you,at least by a partial re-imbursement.I have your mom's motor finished, and she stopped over this evening with your dad's rotating assy. I guess Tony just finished it today.I'll start prepping tomorrow, and have to double check everything again.I'll have Vinny's block on Wed,and will prep it as well.If you come home this weekend I will have 2-3 carbs for you to list,if you have the time.I really like the idea of the cruises, and ideas to help the Denikers. I will enjoy being a part of anything that will help them out.I'm sure there will be a lot of enthusiasm for it, and plenty of participants.I'll c u over the weekend-Dean

Dean Racing Engines
World Class Transmissions
87 Buick Regal

Posts: 116 | Location: Latrobe.Pa. | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark Romeo>
posted
Dean, I called CSI yesterday, they said send it in and he will fix it for little/no cost. That seems like pretty good customer service to me. I shipped it within hours of the phone call, it should be there tomorrow and back to me by early next week hopefully. It only cost me 12 bucks to ship it I think. I won't even bother the guy that I bought it from for that. Everything else sounds good though. I'll list those carbs for you next week for sure. I will be home for the racers meeting on Sunday, I don't know if you were planning on going or not but I'll get the carbs from you either way.

I also thought you would be interested in this. I found it on this site over in Tech Talk but I didn't know if you looked there or not. This is oil testing results. They also said that since the first of the year, thanks to the government, there is no longer zinc in any of the Diesel Oils anymore. Just thought it was interesting reading, since we have been using the diesel oil for the last few years.

From lab testing
VR-1 20W-50
zinc 1246
phos 1156
moly 0

Brad Pen 20W-50
zinc 822
phos 689
Moly 0

Obsolete Green GT-1 20W-50
zinc 946
phos 859
Moly 47

current GT-1 20W-50 (2004)
zinc 880
phos 821
Moly 52

Royal Purple 10W-40 race
zinc 1781
phos 1069
Moly 128

Schaffers Micron Moly 40W
zinc 1217
phos 1106
Moly 151

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mark Romeo>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
Mark, a little trivia for you. Do you know why they're not using zinc anymore?

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark Romeo>
posted
I figured it was something to do with some sort of EPA emissions thing or something? What is the real reason?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
That was my guess too.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
Yes, your both right it's an emissions thing. The zinc causes damage to the catalytic converters. The zinc in the oil that is burned in the cylinders(although a very small amount)over time damages the converter. Now, I'm not sure about this though. I think the reason they are doing away with it in the diesel oils is that these new trucks are coming with converters. but don't quote me on that.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<Mark Romeo>
posted
I forgot about the catalytic converters in diesels that is starting now. That sucks thats the oil we use in race cars believe it or not. A lot of people look at me funny when I say we use diesel oil, but it seems to work really really well. Looks like we are going to have to look elsewhere for the right additives.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
Yep. I wonder how a synthetic oil would work, like maybe mobil 1. Just don't tell Keith, he hates cleaning synthetic oils off the track.

<Mark Romeo>
posted
I've always wanted to try synthetic but haven't because of the cost. We change oil every 40-50 passes. At probably near $60 per oil change thats pretty steep.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I've thought about the synthetic also, but need to change my valve cover gaskets first. This is the 5th season on this engine, with all the street miles, so I'm a little nervous about it. Pennzoil has always treated my junk fine though.

Mark, I'm curious, why diesel oil? What are the benefits?

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Diesel oils contain alot of cleaning agents that help to keep the engine clean internally. They also have many mineral enrichments that normal oil cannot have due to EPA standards.

Everyone coming to the racers meeting on Sun?

AJ

Photobucket

Photobucket

E85 Racing Carbs by AJ

AJ

Posts: 1045 | Location: PA | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mark Romeo>
posted
AJ hit the nail on the head Chuck, before this year the mineral enrichments are extremely good for the metal to metal contact protection. Cam companies are actually recommending it for their flat tappet cams(solid, hydraulics). Our motors look amazing when they come apart. They are always very clean and the bearings always look good.

I'll be at the meeting.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run Royal Purple racing 21. I know Keith doesn't like synthetic, but after I started using it I couldn't believe how good the engine looked on the inside(very clean). I just pray that I never put it on the track. I also haven't had leaks start from synthetic oil.

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back when I was working at Gulf Research in Hamarville, synthetic oil was developed for the machines that were working in Alaska on the pipelines. Regular mineral based oils weren't working out well with the cold temperatures experienced in Alaska. The synthetic oils worked out fine but the only problem encountered was leakage around the cork gaskets on the oil pans and valve covers. No matter how much time or replacement of gaskets was involved, they leaked. Once the gaskets were switched over to some type of rubber based gaskets, the engines were good and kept themselves sealed. So beware if you switch to synthetics and have cork based gaskets.

Posts: 474 | Location: Trinity, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark-great news on the CSI-YEP- that is well worth the 12 bucks or so.Great conversation on the oils. I started using the diesel oils because of the zinc phosphate additives about 3 yrs ago. Joe Zeoli up at A1 Auto Machine turned me on to it,after talking to a Reed Cams engineer about why we were losing a few cams. The engineer told him how the regular motor oils didn't have the zinc phosphate additive,and look at the diesel oil containers,which have the SG rating on the back.He started using diesel in afew stock car engines, and at the end of season, after teardown, the bearings,cam,and lifters looked like brand new.That's when I started o use it.The cam in Kevins motor stil had about 95% of the parkerized coating still on it,and lifters had the crown still on them. I'm sold on it, but will have to switch to something else if the diesel doesn't have it in it. The GM EOS still carries about 1600 ppm for proper maintenance.OH by the way,Kev and I picked up a 24 ft. box trailer today. Pretty nice,inspected,brand new tires,and a winch. I will add cabinets,and work bench,aux batteries,and probably install my home generator in it.I will go to meeting tomorrow,and will bring carbs&writeup for you.C U at PRP,Deanz

Dean Racing Engines
World Class Transmissions
87 Buick Regal

Posts: 116 | Location: Latrobe.Pa. | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Thanks for all you do. 2007 season looks great. I think it will be a very exciting year. Also thank Mike for giving us a top notch facility to race at. And of course thank Carmen for the great pizza. Greg thank you for working so hard at getting us all those great prizes to race for
I know you work hard for the racers. Pam, God bless you for your patience to put up with all these guys. Good luck to everyone in 2007!!!!

ray wilkins

Posts: 365 | Location: new castle,pa | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what Ray said.

I missed the meeting yesterday, any news?

I got my latest DRM over the weekend, and saw the pics from our banquet in there. The Zemrose-Munster pic showed up pretty good!

<Mark Romeo>
posted
I don't think there was anything covered that I didn't already know. It was good to see all the racing friends again. Very well said Ray, and I agree.

<Mark Romeo>
posted
I just wanted to share this story over here because I am impressed with this companies customer service.

I purchased a brand new water pump from someone on Racingjunk.com, I recieved the pump and everything looked good on initial inspection. Upon further inspection by my engine builder he found a h*ole in the main body of the pump, it was a flaw type of h*ole not a meant to be h*ole. There was also a crack. So I called CSR and told them my problem, I sent in the pump on Monday. With no questions asked they replaced the entire pump with a brand new unit. This is AWESOME customer service and I highly recommend dealing with them!!