DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Altered in Super Comp?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altered in Super Comp?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
So I sold my dragster and not doing well without a race car lol. After 14 years I'm bored with 100 dragsters doing exactly the same thing in a round - just want to do something fun again. So I'm considering an altered to bracket race and occasionally run S/C. Anyone done this with any success???? Asking for a friend lol. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
An Altered just won T/D at Firebird, Jake Neibauer. 4.30 660 car and 6.90 1320. Hell yeah it will work ! Just like a door car!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4488 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would much rather see an Altered in the winners circle.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I would much rather see an Altered in the winners circle.
We’ll of course you would!!! Just wondering if it can be made to work

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
No, For Super Comp you have to run a 235 inch Rear engine four link dragster by one of the three approved chassis builders with a 598 or 632 BBC. The paint job must be the tribal swirls style you may choose any of the approved colors for your tribal swirls style paint job.

Or you could be different...........

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do you want to win or want to pound your chest trying to win?

The TRUTH and the FACTS are that rear engine, suspended dragsters running 177 to 187 DOMINATE Super Comp in the year 2021.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

The TRUTH and the FACTS are that rear engine, suspended dragsters running 177 to 187 DOMINATE Super Comp in the year 2021.

Except in D5 where Kunkel runs a door car going like 128 and busts them up pretty regularly. Don’t quote me on that speed, but it’s slow. I agree it may be a bit easier to go the common route, but I see no reason you couldn’t at least be competitive with an altered. If it was me it would be a 4-link, strut front version with the same 1050+ hp engine or however much hp I could afford to build, then just pray you dont get on one of those nhra tracks where the cars are going nuts coming off the stop. Some folks run 177-187 mph dragsters for years and years and never win jack so it’s not all about the car, but a good car certainly helps.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Evening Ed. Thought you might hop on this. I agree the suspended dragsters are the kings of S/C, but after all these years I'm wanting something different, not just a new dragster with tribal paint etc. I've had that. Just wanted to hear from anyone that's doing it/tried it with what caveats? That's all, no chest beating. Cool JB

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
quote:

Except in D5 where Kunkel runs a door car going like 128 and busts them up pretty regularly. Don’t quote me on that speed, but it’s slow. I agree it may be a bit easier to go the common route, but I see no reason you couldn’t at least be competitive with an altered. If it was me it would be a 4-link, strut front version with the same 1050+ hp engine or however much hp I could afford to build, then just pray you dont get on one of those nhra tracks where the cars are going nuts coming off the stop. Some folks run 177-187 mph dragsters for years and years and never win jack so it’s not all about the car, but a good car certainly helps.
Exactly what I'm looking at. Kunkle is a bad Jose and leaves lots of good players "beating their chest". And of course the kid that bought mine is mowing 'em down immediately.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There have been a good number of successful sc altereds. There are just way more dragsters doing it, so of course the chances of a winning dragster are greater. Personally, as I have driven both, I like the driving position of a dragster at the finish line if you are ever the slower car mph wise. Plus, putting my head on a pivot in the altered was more nerve racking than in the long easy to drive car. But I did really like that altered.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:

Except in D5 where Kunkel runs a door car going like 128 and busts them up pretty regularly so it’s not all about the car, but a good car certainly helps

Not real impressed. Kunkel is currently 19 in points and has no real shot at the division championship, some guy named Stinnett stands in his and everyone else's way. Also watched him run at Indy, paired against nobody until he lost to the fastest guy on the property round 3. That said, this is a drivers class not a dialers class. We got a few 120-130 mph dragsters, an occasional altered and door car in D1 and for the most part they are just burning gas and in the way.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
No, For Super Comp you have to run a 235 inch Rear engine four link dragster by one of the three approved chassis builders with a 598 or 632 BBC. The paint job must be the tribal swirls style you may choose any of the approved colors for your tribal swirls style paint job.

Lol, I feel like the "tribal swirls" will be out of style in 5 years and that's how everyone will tell the age of a dragster.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a 32 bantam altered and ran super comp. The problem I had was with the shorter wheel base when it came off the stop it would move around and was not consistent. My car was also a hardtail. In my opinion the best altered builders are sptizer with their cantilever suspension or ken keir cars. Hope this helps.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
An Altered can win as easily as the cookie cutter cars. A good door car could also. Vision is one factor. Do you need 200 mph ? some feel it’s an advantage. So is 150. The vast number of RED is one reason they are dominant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4488 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

The reason they dominate is because they are the best tool.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Wrong Ed. The reason they dominate is cause they are the majority of the cars fielded. Any type car that can cut a light and be consistent can be a winner.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If I ever get an Altered it will be one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqiwWFR1Tg&t=72s

Posts: 2417 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If I ever get an Altered it will be one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqiwWFR1Tg&t=72s

Lmao! Wow! That class should be called; Extreme!

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
It’s a chicken/egg argument at this point because all (or at least 99%) of the best drivers are in dragsters and are carrying the speed that they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Are dragsters the best tool for the job? Probably.

Can something else be competitive? Sure.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And why are they in a dragster? Because it is the best tool! There will never be a S/C world champion in an altered or door car and not one of the best is going to sell their S/C dragster to buy/build an altered or door car to compete in super comp. further MPH is king in throttle stop racing. The car will only get faster next year, the year after that and every year going forward. No one with a clue is going to slow up/run less mph.