DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Altered in Super Comp?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altered in Super Comp?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
31 years ago 160 was probably fast in S/C

Big HP and Throttle stop TIMERS had not taken over.....

Troy Coughlin at Indy around 1991-1992 really kicked S/G and S/C up by showing what could be done....

I was just hanging with a former World Champ who had to run Troy in the Semi's at that race.....

His plan was to hit the tree and watch the Winston Vision screen ! He went red !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
You want a fun ride. We ran this for 5 or 6 years. 125" Frameworks funny car chassis with a alcohol injected turbocharged VW. It ran 8.0's in the mid to hi 180's. When it came up on boost about 800 ft it would spin the tires. We couldn't slow it down enough to run 8.90's consistent. It was a wild ride.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure an open top car could find a lot of success with a good driver. Sitting up about 2 feet higher would give you a great view of the finish line. Dragsters are cheaper and easier although boring as fuc...

JMHO of course

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Eddie, go look what won Pomona Winternationals in 2001 and finished top 10 in world points. Alan Firestone won in a Berreta in 2000 at a national event. Door cars are competitive and with the right mph like my Cavalier (182) very competitive. Problem is to move 2300 pounds in a door car it takes big HP. If there are 100 cars in SC at an event there are maybe 3 or 4 door cars at most. Odds are a dragster will win. Get a calculator Eddie and do the math. Never mind, that's 3 to 4 % chance a door car will win.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
One door car last week at Maple Grove running S/C

John Asta going well over 180

1300+ HP sunset engine....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 years ago I sold the car because it just became to BORING for me.
My sentiments exactly. Just want there to be some fun again. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
WINNING cars never become boring nor for sale often!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC4400:
For the record, Kunkel went 15 rounds in a ROW last year in Topeka last year, winning both events. Just luck I guess? Everyone KNOWS the fast cars are holding .003-.005 and count on pushing you under.OR OR OR you get your junk just stupid consistent, and count on them to make a mistake. Stinnett is a rock star no doubt, but he stumbles just like everyone else.

It's not a big secret. Can you make your junk print slips? .015 package or better? If you track winning drivers, they hit the tree, and print 60 foot times. That's how that slow Camaro does it in SG too. I forget his name.

God here hasn't finished number one either, so his opinion is no more relevant than yours.

Just sayin'

RIP

Kunkel Finished #9 in national points last year and was D5 Jegs all stars rep. Must not be too terrible.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just think how much better he would’ve been in a suspended dragsterSmile

I can also run a GRID or stick with my points ignition setup. Lol

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This topic kind of reminds me of the vaccine thread honestly. Some are so convinced that their way is the best way, the only way, that they cannot accept that others have different motivators and conclusions that led them to their own, and different decisions.
Why not just mandate suspended bbc dragsters for super comp?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
This topic kind of reminds me of the vaccine thread honestly. Some are so convinced that their way is the best way, the only way, that they cannot accept that others have different motivators and conclusions that led them to their own, and different decisions.
Why not just mandate suspended bbc dragsters for super comp?

Not to mention all the crashing S/C door cars and altereds putting a burden on our medical systems.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stupidity runs rampant in this thread, spewed by those that think they know, those that have never competed in the class, those that have never tried to run an altered in this class and those that think what ONE driver did 2 decades ago supports their stupidity. BlahBlah

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
There are more dragsters in 8.90 than any other chassis type because they are the best tool for job.

The rise in door car victories at the big money races is because in the last 5+ years they have essentially been ran separately for most of the race. That has also led to more people adding a door car to their stacker and more single door car guys showing up. Take that away and you will be back to dragsters dominating those races as well.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
This topic kind of reminds me of the vaccine thread honestly.

This forum is only for entertainment purposes anyway. No one is going to ask a legit question, for fear of being tarred and feathered.

It's hard to believe it still exists with the new Facebook groups honestly.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are more dragsters in 8.90 than any other chassis type because they are the best tool for job.The rise in door car victories at the big money races is because in the last 5+ years they have essentially been ran separately for most of the race. That has also led to more people adding a door car to their stacker and more single door car guys showing up. Take that away and you will be back to dragsters dominating those races as well.

This is 100% correct and I think at most of the SFG races you are guaranteed to have a door car in the final because they are ran separate until the final so of course you see door cars winning more.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mikey wasn't there a FOOT BRAKE car in a $100,000 final at Darlington last week? Slick way of getting into the late rounds avoiding all the dragsters and fast door cars, run no/box foot brake.
Back to the subject, my friends Corvette roadster has had the most MPH at about every NHRA race he has raced this year, high 170s I think, and he is running S/G. Spending the money!!!!!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Go right ahead if you have a hankerin to build an altered and run it anyway you like...fast top end, slow top end, Big power, Small power....All your choice...

.370 tree 8.900 is the Dial....

NHRA will welcome you as long as you play by their rules and pay the entry fee.

You don't even need to be vaccinated or wear a mask.....just a helmet and a fire suit....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
With even the slightest head wind, a door car or altered running 1/4 mile can never compete with the consistency of a dragster due to the aerodynamic disadvantages.

Just is what it is.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Omg, Holytown. Dragsters are the dirtiest vehicles on the track, Altered's, Roadsters and Door Cars are next. With door cars the cleanest by far. I never factored the wind in my door cars unless it's over 20 mph.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SCDIV1…KNOWS!

Larry Scarth…CLUELESS!!