DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Altered in Super Comp?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altered in Super Comp?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
It’s a chicken/egg argument at this point because all (or at least 99%) of the best drivers are in dragsters and are carrying the speed that they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Are dragsters the best tool for the job? Probably.

Can something else be competitive? Sure.

Door cars have sure held their own the last few years in the money races it seems.

And SC is just bracket racing where everyone runs the same number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stay on topic, this ain’t about bracket racing, it’s about super comp racing and door cars ain’t doing shyt in this venue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The original poster mentioned having fun.If he has fun,then it is a success.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
The original poster mentioned having fun.If he has fun,then it is a success.

Not if it isn't approved! LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So a RED dragster, a Door car or Altered can win in Big money bracket races but only RED Dragster can win Super Comp? Right.......

What the OP is talking about is a very nice fully suspended Altered. It will work and be different and fun to drive. With the motor he has it will be pretty fast to.

A rear engine four link dragster is a good car but a good four link suspended Altered with front suspension can do same thing. Now not many do it but just because not everyone does does not mean it is junk.

Just because someone paints their car different does not mean it is junk.

Or is there some kind of rule they all have to be alike? Geez.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4143 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My very good friend has an altered and has had it for over 20 years.

It was built by Advanced Chassis and had numerous changes done by Pro Start including adding front struts and after flipping the car, the wheelbase was stretched to 140"

In my mind it is suitable to run low 8's as it has a mind of it's own when running wide open with 7 second power

With a small block running S/C it was a good car..

With a BB with 170+ MPH power.....933 hp 532 it is far less predictable.

It has been set up by chassis builders as far as 4 link settings and has been scaled. I suggested the front mini-struts since I saw some cars with them and thought it might help.

It has run high 7'60's at 172-173 but is much better racing it using a throttle stop.....It has a Max-Speed alcohol carb on it...

The owner and his son race it when they can.....BUT after 20 + years bought another car a few months ago....An older Door car suitable for S/G or S/c or brackets wide open

Bracket racing is generally 1/8th mile or maybe 1000' feet.....makes things a bit different

This past weekend I was .003 green and pedaled to a breakout loss 8.891 at 165 off 8 MPH losing to a 182-183 MPH car that I never saw until probably 1000' and he was .020 an 8.901....

I would never even sit in an altered no less race one.....and if I wasn't older than dirt, I'd be a 180+mph player myself.....

Any car can win and a great driver can win in any car with good equipment, but there is no way I'd run the slow top end method.....or an altered....

A dragster is the right car for S/C, period and I don't care what the paint looks like....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
My very good friend has an altered and has had it for over 20 years.

It was built by Advanced Chassis and had numerous changes done by Pro Start including adding front struts and after flipping the car, the wheelbase was stretched to 140"

In my mind it is suitable to run low 8's as it has a mind of it's own when running wide open with 7 second power

With a small block running S/C it was a good car..

With a BB with 170+ MPH power.....933 hp 532 it is far less predictable.

It has been set up by chassis builders as far as 4 link settings and has been scaled. I suggested the front mini-struts since I saw some cars with them and thought it might help.

It has run high 7'60's at 172-173 but is much better racing it using a throttle stop.....It has a Max-Speed alcohol carb on it...

The owner and his son race it when they can.....BUT after 20 + years bought another car a few months ago....An older Door car suitable for S/G or S/c or brackets wide open

Bracket racing is generally 1/8th mile or maybe 1000' feet.....makes things a bit different

This past weekend I was .003 green and pedaled to a breakout loss 8.891 at 165 off 8 MPH losing to a 182-183 MPH car that I never saw until probably 1000' and he was .020 an 8.901....

I would never even sit in an altered no less race one.....and if I wasn't older than dirt, I'd be a 180+mph player myself.....

Any car can win and a great driver can win in any car with good equipment, but there is no way I'd run the slow top end method.....or an altered....

A dragster is the right car for S/C, period and I don't care what the paint looks like....
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for in this thread. I’m retiring and want to run the No E thing in Texas and maybe the heritage thing w/ NHRA. And maybe S/C just a few times a season just for grins when those races are close. I’m sure I’ll be the guy that everybody lurks in the back of the lanes waiting for me to mosey up there……….

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
20-30 years ago a racer from Pa. built and raced his own cars...ALTEREDS and he built a number of them

He and his sons did very well and won races bracket racing those cars around the area.

8 second power and he probably even ran a few S/C races and I'm sure did ok....

Back then 8's was pretty fast, even mid 8's.....maybe 150-155mph....

Today in S/C almost no one is running under 170 and as I've said a million times you can't look back and forward at the same time....and I've seen the biggest names in the sport lose by breaking out when they were out in front of a faster car.....

Everyone has the cars, equipment to run close so being the chaser is an advantage pretty often.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Dial it hard and stick with it.
Back in the day we ran a Brogie roadster with a 468 bb in it. No throttle stop just a bolt under the pedal. It would only run 150-155 but we won a lot of races.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
A dragster is the right car for S/C, period and there is no way I'd run the slow top end method.....or an altered.

SCDIV1…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
For the record, Kunkel went 15 rounds in a ROW last year in Topeka last year, winning both events. Just luck I guess? Everyone KNOWS the fast cars are holding .003-.005 and count on pushing you under.OR OR OR you get your junk just stupid consistent, and count on them to make a mistake. Stinnett is a rock star no doubt, but he stumbles just like everyone else.

It's not a big secret. Can you make your junk print slips? .015 package or better? If you track winning drivers, they hit the tree, and print 60 foot times. That's how that slow Camaro does it in SG too. I forget his name.

God here hasn't finished number one either, so his opinion is no more relevant than yours.

Just sayin'

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
“God here” created his only son and taught him everything he knows about bracket and throttle stop racing. Said son has finished #1 and #2 in the division back to back as well was a JEGS ALLSTAR as well #4 in the world and regularly trailers old men like you that think they know. NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank God Ed let Kyle drive. Kyle won more in 3 months than Ed won in 3 Decades.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^Says another clueless nobody that thinks he knows. Further this thread ain’t about Ed or Kyle but if you insist, I’ll start one that will go 1000 views a week. Spitting

That said, the OP will do what the OP wants to do with his $ and time, makes no difference to me or anyone else until such time he’s in the other lane. Then we will show him why a dragster is the best tool in S/C and why my son is one of the best drivers in the class.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Damn, Ed. Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.
Laughing Hard

Posts: 4821 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What part of the TRUTH and the FACTS don’t you like old man? NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ya Ed, those door cars just aren't competitive in Super Comp.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They ain’t!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Ed has been black listed and exciled from most of the automotive web sited so I guess he's trying to get booted from DRR also.
O'IT!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back to the subject. Altereds have won in S/C and are just as competitive. In fact, Ed correct me if I'm wrong but your chassis builder won the S/C championship in 1990 in an altered. I don't disagree with the dragster as being the optimal in S/C for all the obvious reasons. However one must take into account the sheer volume of dragsters that run this class. I have no numbers to rely on but I think its a 50 to 1 ratio of dragsters to altereds (full bodied cars). The law of large numbers will tell you that a dragster will win more often. I have raced both altereds and dragsters in S/C. A number of years ago at a National event there were well over 100+ competitors on S/C, all dragsters except for one lone altered, ME. I made it to seven cars, my losing round was on me the driver, tied to squeeze the light to tight. The same scenario was played out at many divisional events, both NHRA and IHRA. Lanes full of dragsters and a few altereds and full bodied cars. The altered was a lot more fun to drive and it also got a lot more attention. My last 10 years of S/C racing was done with a dragster with some moderate success. 3 years ago I sold the car because it just became to BORING for me. Just finished my new build, a bracket S-10 to try and get the FUN factor back into racing. My .02c. BTW, Ed the distributor works great.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post