DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would certainly trust a home built (not just assembled) motor over one built by 90% of the "pro" builders out there. My grandfather built (not just assembled) me 3 motors. All 3 still run. I bought a "pro" built motor after he became unable to do them himself. That motor lasted 7 runs and a rod broke on the return road. I'm certainly not saying I would save the money to just assemble one because at that point you're still counting on a machine shop to have done their job right. Given the money, I would choose to learn how to and invest in the equipment to build my own from the ground up. I simply trust someone invested in my success more than someone seeing me as a customer.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
This is bracket talk, garlits ain’t ever bracket raced!

Actually, this is not true.
I have bracket raced Don Garlits and he was nice enough to autograph the time slip after the run.

did you whoop his azz?

ep-that would be cool to have a W ticket signed by gartlits

He was in A/SA and I was in F/SA.
We both had .030 lights,but he was running .02 over and wasn't holding anything.
I have that time ticket framed.

I said bracket raced not stick eliminator which didn’t last long for him.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I even put my name on mine Big Grin

You Da Man

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well after you have ran Top Fuel it would be hard to step back and bracket race. Shawn Langdon, Spencer Massey and a few others do it but when you run the fastest cars in the world a bracket car does not have the same thrill.

We would all rather race up and go faster.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Professional builders can and do make mistakes on your motors including many big name builders. They have the tools and the technology but do not seem to care as much about your stuff as you do. They have also learned a lot from experience and many learn from those mistakes. Some will never admit they made a mistake and will always blame a failure on you.

They have to add in cost of salary, insurance, building, utilities and profit into it. Even with all of that $1000 to build a motor is not bad in my opinion if they do a good job.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Well after you have ran Top Fuel it would be hard to step back and bracket race. Shawn Langdon, Spencer Massey and a few others do it but when you run the fastest cars in the world a bracket car does not have the same thrill.

We would all rather race up and go faster.

Don't agree at all! Either you are or aren't a bracket racer, no matter what you have driven or gonna drive! Jeggie is a perfect example!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TOP38...KNOWS!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As far as drag racers go, Garlits was, is, and will always be the standard of which all others are measured.

Drag racing is drag racing, the same performance fundamentals apply.

When I sit down to watch a drag race, I'm looking for the next Garlits, not the next oil sheik with money to burn. There's nothing to be learned from him.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I even put my name on mine Big Grin

This is something Steve and have in common, we both built our own blown alcohol TD engines that run well and hold up. And we take great pride in that accomplishment.

Of course these are not your typical BBC bracket engines, and require a higher level of maintenance. We both found out that even the best 4340 cranks do not hold up at this power level with a roots blower.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^ As you should take great pride in accomplishment few will take on.

The only thing better than taking your own machine to the final, is hearing your own machine in the other lane, in the final.

Sweet sound.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M802138:
to each their own

I built all my stuff including machining the heads. I do not own a machine shop either, rather borrowed.

My peers highly respect that fact.

It is (or was?) respectable to build your own stuff regardless of what the moron says. But he's better than you/I--which is an attitude that is cancerous to this entire forum. I've been all over this country and haven't seen this guy race yet. Maybe I ain't been to the right track. But as big as his mouth is, I haven't seen anything actually back it up. I don't care how fast someone is as long as they can get to the finish line first w/o breakout. Is that not what this site is about? Or are we comparing the size like teenagers?

Very True

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
The only thing better than taking your own machine to the final, is hearing your own machine in the other lane, in the final.

Sweet sound.

No this is better but you’ll never know along with most here

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/reading-sc

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you can't afford $950 to have a PROFESSIONAL race engine builder assemble your junk, you've got no business staging your car!

Ok Click Queen;

Really! Wtf.. IMO, It has nothing to do with money. It is a choice one makes period. Everyone/shop makes mistakes, we learn. Some of us here have facilities or access to them and we are fortunate. Some do not and that’s fine. They still build killer pieces! There are some very talented guys on this forum that build big reliable power. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself and or sending it out. With an IPhone the world is at your finger tips!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong EVERYTHING is about money especially racing!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
EVERYTHING is about money especially racing!

Ask Rambo, with NHRA it's how much of it you can stand to lose.

Under those terms sure, it's gonna be cookie cutter cars & clone engines.

So where's the accomplishment? Is it in the amount of money, one can stand to lose?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed, so what if most don't win a national event? When having your pi**ing contest with Mike, why must you take a shot at everyone else?

I would venture to say there are racers at local tracks and big money racing that will never win, let alone attend a national event that can be considered "better" than many national event winners.

Back to the original intent of the post, having an professional engine builder build your engine doesn't provide a merit badge either.

P.S. - Coming from a Super Comp National Event winner and user of professional engine building services.

Posts: 34 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:

And here’s what else I know. You also ain’t going to find any home built engines in the cars of division and world champions in the throttle stop classes as well TD and TS.

WRONG ......

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:

And here’s what else I know. You also ain’t going to find any home built engines in the cars of division and world champions in the throttle stop classes as well TD and TS.

WRONG ......

^^^This guy knows

Christopher done it twice?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 710 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1320racer:

^^^This guy knows

Relaxing

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:

WRONG ......

^^^This guy knows

Mark Grame would also like to enter the chat with his 190+ mph entry

Posts: 34 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post