DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Home built engines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home built engines
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I like owning most of the responsibility too. Respect to you sir.

406 sbc TT
6.96/194

Does that 406 sbc TT indicate you are running twin turbos? Take care. Tom Worthington

Yes

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Mark...

1. That is not what I said. What I said is if you can’t afford $950 to have your engine assembled by a professional you have no business staging your car because....

You can’t afford to fix it when you blow it up. and

2. It’s the year 2021, 75-80% and probably more have professionals build their engines. $950 is the equivalent of pennies in this sport.

Ed, a lot has happened in my life over the years....both life and financially. I CAN afford to pay it, I CHOOSE not to. I enjoy doing my own stuff. I work with my cylinder head guy, Billy Godbold at Comp, and my engine guy here to develop my combo. If it blows up, I'll fix it, just like I have in past years....although now I've learned from some past mistakes and take effort not to make them again....

$950 isn't a lot by todays standards, but look at it from this prospective: That's a lot of fuel, race entries, or other stuff......If a person doesn't have the skills or tools to do so, I completely agree, let a Pro do it. But if they do, why not?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The difference between racers having engines built by others and Ed having engines built by others, is painfully obvious.

Ed pretends to be an engine expert.

What does it mean to call someone a poser?
The noun poseur is defined as "a person who pretends to be what he or she is not.

Ed is a know nothing poser.

When Ed says Truth and facts, he's really means to say Lies and Bullchit.

It's what lefty's do, invert reality.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Posts like this show how much disconnect there is in this country or in this sport. This is still about bracket racing isn't it?

Posts: 1468 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I like owning most of the responsibility too. Respect to you sir.

406 sbc TT
6.96/194

Does that 406 sbc TT indicate you are running twin turbos? Take care. Tom Worthington

Yes

Outstanding! Big Grin Are there pictures available? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Posts like this show how much disconnect there is in this country or in this sport. This is still about bracket racing isn't it?

I thought I knew what the purpose of bracket racing was, but now I'm wondering. Confused Must be my age. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Bracket racing and life in general is not only about the money...it seems to Ed it is...there are plenty of folks who have a plenty of money but simply enjoy the satisfaction they receive from assembling their own stuff...money has nothing to do with it...that's all I have to say about that...

To judge anyone based on their personal choices or financial habits is childish in my opinion...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a new engine & transmission project today, I'm real stoked to get to work on. Beautiful 70 Nova frame off resto street racer, Fab 9 small tire car 540 BBC.

Serious street racers. Looking around at camshafts all day for a set of BB2XTRA. Whoever spins the tires best, wins.

Can't wait.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Serious street racers.

Serious or street "racer". You only get to pick one. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Serious street racers.

Serious or street "racer". You only get to pick one. Take care. Tom Worthington

I don't know much about it myself, I've never watched a single episode of street outlaws. I did have a promoter contact me about Florida street outlaws, and ask if I'd be interested. I told him the same, I didn't know anything about it. I still have the promoters number, so I'm gonna put a word in for this Nova, they'd love it.

I've known these guys 20 plus years though, they've always been hard core street racers.

They've out run some names from this area in Florida, you'd recognize.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed’s professional engine builders worked really well for him last year when he kicked the rods out of the Firebird at the first race and it sat for three months while Ed had no ability to fix his engine nor a spare. Some high level racer Big Grin

It was OK though, he took the dragster out and lost first round 4 out of 6 races.

Great season Ed clapping

Big Grin

Posts: 721 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Ed’s professional engine builders worked really well for him last year when he kicked the rods out of the Firebird at the first race and it sat for three months while Ed had no ability to fix his engine nor a spare. Some high level racer Big Grin

It was OK though, he took the dragster out and lost first round 4 out of 6 races.

Great season Ed clapping

Big Grin

HMMMM That ought to do it! Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Those who stir the shyt pot should be made to lick the spoon...

Ed's builders all eventually smarten up and kick his ass to the curb, not worth the bullshyt and drama.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

not one, my $ is green and good EVERYWHERE! Further, Alan at the Raceshop wanted to build my new 648, as did Sunset, as did Oakley, as did Huntsville.

Meanwhile...

2018 NHRA Division 1 S/C Champion
2019 NHRA Division 1 S/C Jegs Allstar
2019 NHRA Divsion 1 S/C #2
2019 NHRA S/C #4 in the world

all with a PROFESSIONALLY built engine by Huntsville Engine! NahNahTounge

and 183N...consistent 1st round runner up at the only division race he has competed at in S/C for the last 8 years, Lebanon Valley with the same result over and over again. Laughing very hard Loser 183N

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Great H/P numbers 1320racer. 1300 in bracket form is way up there normaly/asperated speaking. Its alot and good job on the selection of components for that build. Mike Rietow I like the cam you have selected as the 112 L/S works good in those 4.250 motors. Also the 288/296@.050 will work will gas, alky,or e85 and not be too finiky on which converter is behind it. (All this is just my 2 cents worth.)

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wrong

not one, my $ is green and good EVERYWHERE! Further, Alan at the Raceshop wanted to build my new 648, as did Sunset, as did Oakley, as did Huntsville.

Meanwhile...

2018 NHRA Division 1 S/C Champion
2019 NHRA Division 1 S/C Jegs Allstar
2019 NHRA Divsion 1 S/C #2
2019 NHRA S/C #4 in the world

all with a PROFESSIONALLY built engine by Huntsville Engine! NahNahTounge

and 183N...consistent 1st round runner up at the only division race he has competed at in S/C for the last 8 years, Lebanon Valley with the same result over and over again. Laughing very hard Loser 183N

Oakleys would have ran "pull out to pull out" with that PAR engine.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 709 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I agree

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Great H/P numbers 1320racer. 1300 in bracket form is way up there normaly/asperated speaking. Its alot and good job on the selection of components for that build. Mike Rietow I like the cam you have selected as the 112 L/S works good in those 4.250 motors. Also the 288/296@.050 will work will gas, alky,or e85 and not be too finiky on which converter is behind it. (All this is just my 2 cents worth.)

Yes sir , I'm gonna discuss with Kirk today at Bullet, about a 114 ls for some added traction control on the street, to see what he suggests. I think this cam will have us right where we wanna be with valve train to the converter to wheel speed.

I have several converters 6600-6800 stall behind this kind of power.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Below is our old spare motor totally machined & built by me. It was nice having access to the equipment after hours & weekends of a machine shop. Plus, the satisfaction of doing it myself; you have no one to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. The motor was refreshed at home recently & is all bagged up. The new crank was sent out for an internal balance.

That being said: Our other 2 motors are professionally built. If I still had the access/sponsorship of a machine shop. I would be doing it myself.

quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I built/machined this 383 sbc in the late 90s. It really is a budget piece of work. It has about 3,000 passes, run a best of 10.40 something & won us plenty of $$$.

Here's a basic run down of the motor:

Cast iron, stock 1 piece seal, hard-blok filled to bottom of water pump.

Cast iron, Sportsman 2 cylinder heads, ported by me.

Cast crank been thru 2 going on 3, they crack, but haven't failed.

Cast hypereutectic Keith Black pistons, this is the 2nd set; they haven't failed.

Rods, Scat H beam

Roller cam

I'm changing a few things while the engine torn down. It's getting a refresh with a new cast crank. plus, I'm finally somewhat converting it to internal balance. As far as I know, it has to be external on the rear with a one piece seal crank. If it can be internal balanced, I'll have it done.

I'll have about $700 into when it's done & will probably be bagged/storage hopefully for the rest of my life. It has been a great/cheap motor, it was shifted @ 6K, but went thru the traps @ 7K +. It still amazes me.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2569 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:

Tom i can only think of a handful of guys that i know that actually build there own stuff anymore. I think Ed is pretty close on numbers of guys who builds there stuff..

Heck, if I'd have been smart enough and quick enough, I'd have bought that 396 you had for sale several years back. Smile Who built that one? Take care. Tom Worthington

Tom that was a great motor last one that we built.. Like i said i Don't have the time nor the will to build my own anymore.. Mark Moreland does all my work he is fair and a great builder. And when i get my work i have zero worries about anything he does. Worth every penny for me... Like i said i know a lot of racer very few are building there own stuff..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post