DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
ED you clearly are a clueless cricket...that chit is at the divisional and nationals as well.

The circus has the ZOO...if you ain't been...YOU gotta try it once!

The boobs out there are shaking just like HOOSIERS!!!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it's not and I'm not surprised by your defense of the illegal and dangerous activity allowed to take place at some of those events but I won't have any part of it!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why is this section called Tech Talk? Maybe should be Opinion Talk. Don't get me wrong, it's good to get feedback and opinions. But the only mention of four link bars is that ya gotta move em around. No mention of what is going on with the Hoosiers that causes them to shake. I ask a question about a high 6's car trying to go sub 1.00 sixty, and get advice for 4.50-5.0 cars.....in know. My car worked fine on Hoosiers at that speed.
I ask a question about one of the posts, and get directed back to the original post. And now we are gong back and forth about divisions vs money races. No real mention about tire pressure...other than it being wrong. No mention of wheel speed or dead hooking. No mention of shock travel data.
What a **** show.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, This thread was about a high 7 second car not a high 6 second car so why would you want his input? His car is clearly all fuced up. Further, I told you why you are shaking your tire and if I was there watching you, within a few hits I could have you all straighten out. If that doesn't answer your question then start a thread about YOUR car and your issue with tire shake and you'll get the same replies from the same people telling you that only emp-tees will fix your issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Why is this section called Tech Talk? Maybe should be Opinion Talk. Don't get me wrong, it's good to get feedback and opinions. But the only mention of four link bars is that ya gotta move em around. No mention of what is going on with the Hoosiers that causes them to shake. I ask a question about a high 6's car trying to go sub 1.00 sixty, and get advice for 4.50-5.0 cars.....in know. My car worked fine on Hoosiers at that speed.
I ask a question about one of the posts, and get directed back to the original post. And now we are gong back and forth about divisions vs money races. No real mention about tire pressure...other than it being wrong. No mention of wheel speed or dead hooking. No mention of shock travel data.
What a **** show.

The reason that MT's are MUCH more consistent on a hard leaving dragster is sidewall construction/stiffness and rubber compound.

I suppose that on a suspended car enough adjustments can be made to make the Hoosiers work just fine, on a hardtail car the adjustments are limited to air pressure, the timing curve and possibly converter selection. In some cases that is just not enough, with shake always being just a conditions (track/weather) change away.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky's car doesn't leave harder than any other dragster with over 1000 HP, they all 60 foot 1.0x

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
it's not and I'm not surprised by your defense of the illegal and dangerous activity allowed to take place at some of those events but I won't have any part of it!

You sir are blind and are a part of it at any circus race you attend...only difference is yall dont win any REAL money...

Carry on..."cuz she was shakin" (Eddie Money) just like Hoosiers and at the Zoo at the circus you wont be a part of.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bucky, This thread was about a high 7 second car not a high 6 second car so why would you want his input? His car is clearly all fuced up. Further, I told you why you are shaking your tire and if I was there watching you, within a few hits I could have you all straighten out. If that doesn't answer your question then start a thread about YOUR car and your issue with tire shake and you'll get the same replies from the same people telling you that only emp-tees will fix your issue.

I understand how the thread started, and I thought about starting another. But I didn't ask the OP anything. I asked a guy that posted on the second page about a particular 15" MT and how fast he had been on it.

As far as you knowing what would "straighten out" my car: Thus far you have offered not one single detail about what you look for, what you change, and why. Not one. "Move your bars around" isn't a useful tech suggestion.

Bender: I'm hard headed to a fault, not willing often to give up on something that I long since should have. Here we are hopefully ready to start a second season, and I find myself torn about new tires. The Hoosiers shook anything faster than 1.04. If I aired then down to next to nothing, sometimes they wouldn't. The tires aren't screwed, and have not moved. I have considered making a big move with the bars to make it leave with no extension of the shock or even some compression. It seems counter intuitive with what I have known in the past about this car and four link adjustments. But many people say if you don't get the wheel speed up early, you are doomed when the power starts coming on. My combo starts being able to make more power .5 seconds into the run or so. Just after that is usually where the shake happens. It may not be leaving dead hooked but it is pretty close.

Having a "neutral" four link setting also seems like it would make one very vulnerable to track conditions. A tight track will make it tip toward hitting the tire harder yet. A loose track would result in maybe not hitting the tire at all. It just seems like an invitation to being inconsistent. It seems like that is where the harder compounds come in. It doesn't start with a death grip on the surface and allows faster cars to get that wheel speed. And of course the stronger side wall prevents murdering the tire at the hit as well.

I have considered leaving dead hooked, settling for 1.05 sixties or so, and ramping in the power more moderately and run hard after 100'. It isn't the right way to turn times on anything that is power limited. But I do still think I could go sub 7's in the quarter with good mph.

I have considered doing a lot of things. But suffering though test laps of tire shake in an already abbreviated season seems foolish as well. Sometimes (almost) everybody isn't wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I obviously ain't racing for the $, don't need to and the NHRA would never allow what happens at most of those races and it starts with finishing the program for the day at a reasonable hour which almost always is before dark. Tell me how you stay awake, being at the track since 8am, no mind able to race at a competitive level at 2-3-4-5am in the morning.

Tell these competitors that at 16 cars they are all marching to the bathroom where they will submit a supervised piss sample and that if it tests HOT for anything they are DQ'd and then those left standing will get back in their cars, turn the power on, put the car in gear and run through their starting line stage/launch sequence, hitting every button while hooked up to an ignition tester run by TECH and let the chips fall. I'm betting if you announce that upfront car count is way down and if you didn't, you'll end up with less than 16 cars in the round of 16.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a **** show.
Just blame it on SCOTT....LOL

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bucky's car doesn't leave harder than any other dragster with over 1000 HP, they all 60 foot 1.0x

The fine line that most seem to run into shake is sub 1.04. Trying to get sub 1.00's I have not run into one person that has had success with the traditional Hoosier compounds. They are the new compounds on tall steam rollers.

I was among those who thought I could get any tire to work given enough suspension adjustments. Until I tried to go faster than 1.04. That has been sobering.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:
What a **** show.
Just blame it on SCOTT....LOL

In general, the tech discussion has gone downhill here for a good number of years. Some key players who had experience building and tuning their stuff for decades, left for one reason or another. So now when some members get involved, there are many posts, but with little tech value. When certain players aren't around, there just aren't many posts period. It's a loss either way.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, if you don't have an issue at 1.05, you shouldn't have an issue 60 footing .01 quicker. What specific Hoosier tire are you running at what psi? What RPM are you launching at?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Bucky, when you get back at it, give the MT's a try if you haven't yet. I'll bet you'll like them....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bucky, if you don't have an issue at 1.05, you shouldn't have an issue at 1.04. What specific Hoosier tire are you running?

Well it isn't like flipping a switch. Some days you get by at 1.04 with a quiver. Other track conditions have every other run ruined about 1.04 or faster. I have no reason to argue with you nor be any sort of disrespectful. But when people try to go very low 1.0's or sub 1.00's, a lot of the things they knew to be true go out the window.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, I'm trying to help you, not argue. I know many racers running low 1.0s and quicker on Hoosier. If you don't want my advice on your issue, just say so.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As far as 15" MT options:
Anyone run fairly hard on either of these tires? Screwed or not? Beadlocks or not?

3080 33.0.15.0-15s, 105 roll, x8 compound

3084s 33.0/16.5-15s, 105 roll, L8 compound

I generally prefer a smaller tire, but I gotta listen to those who have used them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Sorry, can't help you with those tires.

IMO you should run the Little Bubba, but not without beadlocks. They are a tall tire though.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If he's going to 16" wheels, he has many tire choices including the right Hoosier tire.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I guess I forgot to say 16" wheels would be required with the Bubbas. I think he should be on 16's no matter what tire he chooses.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2