DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Dragster Tires that shake less
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Honestly I often take what your opinion is about tires with a grain of salt because you are completely against MT's it seems, which is a tire that almost universally cures shake problems for others. And I say that with respect. Even hard core Hoosier guys eventually cry uncle. I don't want nor need a steamroller on this car either. It isn't a low 6's car. High sixes reasonably.

Bucky, I'm not completely against any component BUT in the case of emp-tees, they have a history of not holding air, the bubbas chunking and just in general poor quality control. I've previously stated in another post that I'll never say never again. Who knows, they may end up on my next/new car but for now, I have no reason to switch from Hoosier. My dragster makes over 100HP more than the OP and has none of the issues he states but again, I know how to setup a car and I wouldn't use the tire he is.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have moved bars all over the place. What stops shake when you look at what the shock it doing. Or what causes it? Too much bite seems to be the consensus and not enough wheel speed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, for the typical bracket dragster, cars that run 4.50s-5.00s tire shake comes from one or all of the following...

1. too low air pressure
2. too long burnout
3. not enough water in the box.
4. wrong tire/compound

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What about faster than 4.50?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
all could apply as well. I chose 5.00s to 4.50s because most bracket dragsters fall into that range Again, one of if not the fastest TD in the country runs on Hoosier and the current TD and TS NHRA World Champions do too so clearly shake is not an issue when the car is properly set up, the correct Hoosier tire for the application is selected, the tire is run with the correct air pressure, the burnout is not too long and there is sufficient water in the box.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The world champ runs in high gear...has enough power to run 5.70s...60ft is very slow for ET.

Cmon man be honest...they all shake with massive power...something old ED has no clue of.

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR TIRES WITH LESS SHAKE on a dragster...its currently called something other than Hoosier.

Hoosier clearly has pressure on them to step up for the "average" bracket dragster tire and possibly will continue development...time will tell, I cant speak for them...

Goodyear's clearly on track with the most recent tire being tested by a handful thru out the country.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They seem to have two compounds that are harder, and those are the ones that people are having luck with. Those compounds are not offered in many sizes. So a VERY limited selection. Which is why I asked to begin with how fast Jake had gone on the 3084s. Or anyone for that matter. 60' wise.

Actually the 10.5 MT in a 15" that I tried at 7.20's worked really well. Just moved around in the last 50', but I didn't have a wing then. I have my doubts whether they could consistently go faster than 1.03 sixty or under 7 seconds without some pucker. So kind of thinking of the 3084s. And was also wondering if folks were beadlockng, screwing or nothing at all for that tire.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Torqin just doesn't have a clue. The fastest S/C car in the country, running 195 MPH on the stop and the 2019 World Champion too runs Hoosier.

Hoosier has no pressure on them not with the fact that their tires are on more drag cars, more NHRA Division and World Champion's cars than all others combined and not with the fact that again, their tires are on the TS and TD world champions cars again, the quickest and fastest of the bracket classes.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
You blind? Tell ya what...believe what you want...when you want and I'm good with it...

We have to meet one day...we could disagree for days on many things I am sure!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agree on that

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
They seem to have two compounds that are harder, and those are the ones that people are having luck with. Those compounds are not offered in many sizes. So a VERY limited selection. Which is why I asked to begin with how fast Jake had gone on the 3084s. Or anyone for that matter. 60' wise.

Actually the 10.5 MT in a 15" that I tried at 7.20's worked really well. Just moved around in the last 50', but I didn't have a wing then. I have my doubts whether they could consistently go faster than 1.03 sixty or under 7 seconds without some pucker. So kind of thinking of the 3084s. And was also wondering if folks were beadlockng, screwing or nothing at all for that tire.

Check out the 3080 tire. Is the same x8 compound at the little bubba's.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The 2018 TD NHRA world champion tested Hoosiers early this year with no success, couldn't stop them from shaking.

As has been said Danny Nelson runs high gear only and leaves very soft. As do SC cars, going on the stop right off the line.

For a dragster that wants to be quick to 60' consistently MT is the tire of choice. Look no further than the PDRA Elite TD class (The quickest TD cars around) for proof of that. Last year 4 of the top 5 and 8 of the top 10 in points running MT. Despite Hoosier being a major PDRA sponsor and offering several of these cars tires to test.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

For a dragster that wants to be quick to 60' consistently MT is the tire of choice.

I know Bryan Keller disagrees, who just might be the quickest and fastest in the country.

But this thread wasn't about TD, it's about a 4.80-90s bracket dragster

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Bryan is one of the quickest. Jody Stroud has been 3.62 with an . 888 60' on Hoosiers, but he does his fair share of shaking, I believe Bryan has a better handle on the shake, but still has issues with it. That being said, I have never shook on MT's in hundreds of passes.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bryan is the quickest, you just don't know Wink and he is because like me he knows how to tune a chassis, not afraid to turn or move the bars up and down as well adjust the extension and compression of his shocks. Big Grin

But again, this thread was never about TD. Nope it was about a 4.80s-90s bracket dragster.

Now with that out of the way, so let me see if I've got this right...the 2 quickest Top Dragsters in the country run on Hoosier tires as do the current NHRA World Champions in TD and TS and it's the tire that is run by more drag racers in more classes than all others combined yet we've got at least one here whose uniformed and biased opinion is that "Hoosier clearly has pressure on them to step up" Laughing very hard

Newsflash...they are already on top!!! clapping

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
You sir are clueless

Your not in the know, your not at big money paying races. Your only at the circus that pays nothing to even win a championship.

Meanwhile your entitled to your own opinion and ideas of reality...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Well that may be true about a car with suspension, but Bryan's car is a hard tail. Pretty sure there are no bars or shocks to adjust.

I have nothing against Hoosier tires I've run them with great results on every car I've owned, just not on a fast TD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the circus is some of those big money races where there is no tech, no rules but there is alcohol, drugs and racing until 5:30am!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RktX4lbe_g4

Funny how the truth can do that. Wink

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
SEND IT....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post