DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission temps.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission temps.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
every season

That has always been my program unless there is an issue with any fluid I have used in the past. I have a brand new PG being built which will become my primary and the one I have now will be backup. The new one is getting Transynd from the start.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Once again, who all is recording transmission temps and what are you getting?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I like to see around 180-190. My setup is probably overkill. I do log transmission temp. I run two b&m super coolers in front of the radiator along with oil thermostat. I feel the thermostat has made the car more consistent along with its alot easier to get heat and maintain heat in the transmission. It will go from 180-190 in the course of the pass and will usually be back to 180 by the time I get back to the pits. I also run b&m trick shift if it matters.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Banjo and I do plan on using the thermostat line control like you use. I think it is a good idea to get it up to temp quicker and keep it in the right range.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I usually get mine to about 170* before a run - logging pan temps on racepak.

During a run it will only go up about 5-10* - it will really climb while driving back to the pits to about 190* as it cools things off. Then start to decrease. I always double enter and run a derale cooler with dedicated fan.

The temps are never a problem to get down and if I am pressed for time I use a JONES pump which circulates the fluid....again back to a 170* start point. The jones pump and cooler will bring the temps down about 1* every 4-5 seconds once it start decreasing. Or 12* per min. So within about 3-4 Minutes of it running I am back down to desired.

use B&M trick shift per Rossler recommondation. Rossler Glide.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
some here need to work on their program. My trans fluid temp is always 125-130 when staged, whether 1st round or final round. No reason for it to be 170 when staged no mind higher. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
some here need to work on their program. My trans fluid temp is always 125-130 when staged, whether 1st round or final round. No reason for it to be 170 when staged no mind higher. Roll Eyes

Rossler recommended temp, easy to maintain when double entered and no signs of anything detrimental.

Maybe some need an accurate temp guage Wink

No way you're doing that in later rounds with <15 cars in each class and classes back to back. Single entered sure with a jones pump or equiv. Getting mine back to temps during those times is not even a concern and only when less than 5 cars do I run the jone for more than a few minutes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ski_dwn_it,

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's not a contest of who can stage every round with the coolest transmission, that's a low experience level approach. A high experience level approach takes into account all variables. If you're on methanol, you're always working to keep heat in the engine, a warmer transmission is the correct approach.

On gasoline a cooler transmission is the correct approach.

One size doesn't fit all.

I stage 160 to 180 every round, manage temp by observing a trans temp guage, with a fan blowing on trans cooler/ methanol.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
It's not a contest of who can stage every round with the coolest transmission, that's a low experience level approach. A high experience level approach takes into account all variables. If you're on methanol, you're always working to keep heat in the engine, a warmer transmission is the correct approach.

On gasoline a cooler transmission is the correct approach.

One size doesn't fit all.

I stage 160 to 180 every round, manage temp by observing a trans temp guage, with a fan blowing on trans cooler/ methanol.

exactly Wink

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
quote:

Rossler recommended temp, easy to maintain when double entered and no signs of anything detrimental.

quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
What's the ideal temp range for trans fluid?

So, I'll ask the same as above again. I don't care why you think the temp should be this or that. Ski is at least using a well respected trans company recommendation.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When I was told a spragless converter runs transmission 10 to 15 degrees warmer, I said "good".

But then again I realize it's not a contest of the coolest transmission on the starting line, unless you're on gasoline.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
What's the ideal temp range for trans fluid?

So, I'll ask the same as above again. I don't care why you think the temp should be this or that. Ski is at least using a well respected trans company recommendation.

To expand upon things and what has been said, you need to find a temp that you can easily and consistently get to each run. You aren't going to hurt anything until you start getting above 225* and more than likely 240* per Rossler. Seals will start getting taxed at that level.

The point of it being at the same temp is for fluid viscosity and getting your program dialed in for reaction time and down track consistency. If you leave at 120* first 3 rounds becuase there is an eternity between runs and get into the later rounds where they call for you to round-robin and your only getting 15-20 minutes - then you are never getting back to that 120-130 without a jones pump or a lot of starting and stopping /fan cooling and spraying things off with water etc. And likely your converter is going to be hotter (unless Jones or equiv pump is used).

The whole point is to get it to a manageable state. I don't want to be in the semis and running around like an idiot trying to get cooled down while my opponent is telling the starting guy he is ready to go ASAP. I would rather be thinking about my gameplan and where I am going to be at intervals of the track....I love to see guys scrambling around that I need to race - because likely they are doing everything they shouldnt be...just builds my confidence.

So there really isnt a wrong answer - where you can effectively get it....and keep it. Build the rest of the program (reaction time/dial in) around that window.

Make a few passes within 15 minutes on a good hot day and see what you can manage.

If its 190 you can get to and not see over 225* I would not worry - might wanna just change the fluid more often but that isnt going to hurt anything.

Different fluids will make a difference in temps seen. I ran ATI and saw about a 20* cooler temp all things equal. It definitely changed things but it also caused leaks that other fluids never caused. No change in performance but definitely ran cooler and cost more.

I will add that most of the time I am putting heat into my trans to get it to desired temps along with engine as I move up the lanes. That is far easier and less stressful than trying to get it cool.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ski, thanks for sharing some temp info from Rossler.

I pretty much try & average around 150* & it doesn't matter if I'm on gas or welfare (E-85) fuel. If I was running Alky, I would look to run it with a little higher average temp. This works for me; is it right/wrong? I don't know, but I'm not going to do is preach it. I'm not going to stage at 125*-130* or at 170* on gas or alky. I consider that low range of heat given is too little, but I would like to hear the trans guys or even the fluid Manufacture's opinion.

I race in some of the most high heat conditions most of the year. My home track is the Strip Las Vegas & most races are during the day The car gets double entered & goes to the later rounds consistently.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
No way you're doing that in later rounds with <15 cars in each class and classes back to back.

Want to bet?

Trans fluid temp is easy to maintain when double entered and no signs of anything detrimental.

Double entered and "deadly all weekend"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2EEF-hLI0

Mikey show up and line up anytime against my Firebird with your junk and your day will be over in less than 6 seconds!

Again, some here need to work on their program. NahNahTounge

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Bingo,

When ambient Temps are 100+ degrees, it a lot easier to maintain 180 degrees then 130. Especially with multiple entries. I also run a thermostat on my engine to maintain the same temp.

My thought process is have an excess of cooling capacity and regulate the temp.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We don't see 100+ degree days often in the north and south east but we do see many 90+ degree days with 90% humidity, been there done that and my trans fluid temp is still 125-130 when staged EVERY round, 1st or final and just to break some more hearts and spirit of those that think they know whose programs need work...I don't have an external trans cooler in the firebird, rather my trans fluid runs through the cooler in the OEM radiator. NahNahTounge

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The reason I posted this thread was to see what temps you guys are running. Building a new car and want to design it right.

Part of the secret to consistency is maintaining the same temperatures of everything possible. Transmissions have a lot of moving parts and clutches things that expand as they get hot. That is why we monitor them in the first place.
I also want it simple and not have to hook up expensive remote cooler between every round or any of that junk unless there is no other option. We know the transmission can work with temps from 125* to 225* I choose to keep it in the middle range and have the transmission up to good working temp. My transmission never gets hot but I think it is a good idea to use the thermostat like Banjo does to get it up to working temperature faster before it ever starts going through the cooler. I see no benefit running at 125* but have no problem if you do it if you think it helps your program.
This is Texas and I have raced many days around 100* and up to 118*. When it is over 100* the last thing I want to do is be running around hooking up stuff to cool the transmission. I think keeping it 160* to 180* is more realistic and where I want it right or wrong. I drive my car to the staging lanes and back to my pit which is another reason I want this set up right.

But then I also get my water temp up to a certain temp before I ever pull into water box for same reasons.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Another FYI for those that think they know...on my normal daily commute home tonight, a 1 1/2 hour/50 mile drive, the trans fluid temp in the Allison 1000 trans in my GMC 3500 Denali Duramax never rose above 125 degrees and most of the trip it was right around 100 degrees.

Further, when I'm towing 14,000+ lbs. hours upon hours for 100s and 100s of miles, the trans fluid never sees 180!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trans fluid temp is easy to maintain when double entered and no signs of anything detrimental.

Double entered and "deadly all weekend"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2EEF-hLI0

Mikey show up and line up anytime against my Firebird with your junk and your day will be over in less than 6 seconds!

Again, some here need to work on their program. NahNahTounge

How many rounds did you go that weekend? Easy to keep temps cool when you go out early. NahNahTounge

Posts: 14 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post