DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission temps.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission temps.
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Fluid aside, the best addition I made was a BF cooler with a large electric fan and shroud, but when I was going rounds, a 1 gal garden sprayer and water worked wonders.
I used RP Syndrolic 32 when hooked up. Then did some lab tests and found an inexpensive version. Came in handy when RP tightened up. I added an additive to the oil and it was better then RP. Lab testing of samples guided my testing.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12161 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
So Amsoil IS NOT on the approved list and retail is cost much more than Castrol Transynd, why would someone want to use it then?

In all fairness it shows who met their spec. I have no idea what Amsoil builds and I’m sure Colorado’s fine with it. I want to get some of the 668 to try though. They also have an off-road spec for the really big 5000-9000 series. Testing never stops. Always a better mousetrap..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
This is the transmission cooler I am considering or one similar. After I get the body off will get one that fits best in the location I want.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13700
With a thermostat control for the fan tied to ignition.

Will probably use one of these to help get transmission up to proper temps quicker.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25719

Bought the new Hughes pan that is angled in the front to help with ground clearance. Will add the data logger sensor and thermostat sensor to the pan.

Should give it a simple and reliable temp control.

As for the transmission fluid have already said I will go with the Allison Transynd. Will also say this according to the Alison web site they have 12 different brands that meet their specifications. Now I plan on using the Alison but if they were out I would not hesitate to use one of their 12 other recommended brands.
Note, I have not had many transmission problems but building a new car might as well design it right.

My original question is still the same. What temperatures are you seeing on loggers?

What temperatures do you think starts to give problems being reaction time or wear and tear on transmission?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd put a plate style, modern and durable. B&M have gotten out of hand for what they want for their plate style with fan, they want $400 now.

I'd put my own fan I picked, low draw around 600 cfm, on this one. This will get her done.

If you can keep it 180 degree's every time down, it'll up your game.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Run the fan when you come back to your pit from a run. When the cooler is cool to the touch, spin the engine over to put the cool oil in trans and new hot oil in the cooler.

If you put the 29,200 BTU, when you do that twice, it'll cool the transmission 20 degrees. 3-4 minutes each cycle, if the fan is any good.

I keep mine 180 every time up from 1st round to the final. 6th and 7th round as the time diminishes between rounds I'd run the trans cooler fan, cool to the touch twice, it would take it to 180 from 190-195 in 8 minutes. Spragless converter.

My trans cooler fan blows through the radiator too. It's not right on the trans cooler.

You'll have a guage on the dash , you can look at, and a fan blowing on the cooler. Whatever ya gotta do to keep it 180. You'll be shocked how quick you can cool it. It'll be more difficult to warm it to 180, than cool it. I just deck my on the converter, no leave chip a few times, when I drive it around to warm it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
This is the transmission cooler I am considering or one similar. After I get the body off will get one that fits best in the location I want.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13700
With a thermostat control for the fan tied to ignition.

Will probably use one of these to help get transmission up to proper temps quicker.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25719

Bought the new Hughes pan that is angled in the front to help with ground clearance. Will add the data logger sensor and thermostat sensor to the pan.

Should give it a simple and reliable temp control.

As for the transmission fluid have already said I will go with the Allison Transynd. Will also say this according to the Alison web site they have 12 different brands that meet their specifications. Now I plan on using the Alison but if they were out I would not hesitate to use one of their 12 other recommended brands.
Note, I have not had many transmission problems but building a new car might as well design it right.

My original question is still the same. What temperatures are you seeing on loggers?

What temperatures do you think starts to give problems being reaction time or wear and tear on transmission?

I
Fluid flash is 235c 455deg
Could read temp close to converter discharge. My truck with it under big extended load sees 200. No issues. I’m using Mobile Delvac approved in Truck, Never tried it in the race cars, ATI Super F has not been an issue and after 200 runs 6.70-6.80 looks like new inside. HMMMM

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Starting January 1st, 2021 Allison 668 will be factory fill at Allison.

From Allison.

TES 668 builds on the previous TES 295 transmission fluid spec in a number of key areas, such as oxidative stability, anti-wear performance and friction modifier durability, according to Allison. These factors improve the quality of the shifts and reduce the noise, vibration and harshness experienced as the fluid ages. Better friction performance provides more consistent clutch application—even across temperature variations and load sizes.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Starting January 1st, 2021 Allison 668 will be factory fill at Allison.

From Allison.

TES 668 builds on the previous TES 295 transmission fluid spec in a number of key areas, such as oxidative stability, anti-wear performance and friction modifier durability, according to Allison. These factors improve the quality of the shifts and reduce the noise, vibration and harshness experienced as the fluid ages. Better friction performance provides more consistent clutch application—even across temperature variations and load sizes.

Big Torque numbers in the new trucks need a good fluid. I’ll get some.

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Per Allison...

'TES 668 builds on the proven 20 year record of TES 295® fluids by delivering the same great
performance with a modern additive package. TES 668 also provides a streamlined approach to aftermarket approvals which allows broader
availability of approved fluids to end users. Due to the high level of quality, TES 668 meets the needs to be used in combination with the
Allison Extended Transmission Coverages (ETC)"

The way I read this is Allison changed the testing criteria for the aftermarket for easier approval the result of which is the TES-668 spec.

Again, I'll stay with the original that I have used for 17 years.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Found these. We need a petroleum engineer on here. Interesting. Cost savings initiative. Idk.
Group 3 base inclusion which I assume is cheaper to produce than group 4 PAO and some interesting comments on group 3 technical vs marketing perspective. Lube blog has some interesting content as well.

https://www.lubesngreases.com/...ounces-new-atf-spec/

https://www.truckinginfo.com/1...20and%20load%20sizes.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Allison VET center in Indy. Bet you have never seen that .... yep spin those Stand up 24.5's

Live test cells...

https://www.truckinginfo.com/1...testing-into-the-lab

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
this seems really cheap for a full synthetic that meets the TES 295 spec.

https://ultra1plus.com/transmi...ersal-synthetic.html

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There’s a big difference between a manufacturer’s claim and having been tested by Allison and approved as having met their TES-295 spec.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Since Amalie has been mentioned, I'd stay away from it, at least the regular stuff. I put it in my car and the fluid broke down after about 75 passes and it made the converter low gear flash 300 RPM higher when it got hot, strangely without affecting much else. Here's a link to the thread including a graph when I was dealing with the issue.

Changed to the FTI fluid and the problem went away.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fluid is Fluid!
LoL
Laughing Hard

[IMG]69782424-746b-4698-a0fd-40ab606c0b56-2-dc2f3ad83a71f658e179696433026d7c[/IMG]

PS
I changed out a TCI tube cooler because of damage to a B&M plate cooler and my trans temp increased by 10/15 degrees. Low HP so never even sees 185 degrees,used to be 165

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I used to run Transynd because my old boss let me take it from work, once per year. Since leaving, this is what I run now, and it's pretty much the same fluid. Looks and smells exactly the same. I just serviced the trans in my truck, had about 65k on it, with this fluid, and it looked the same coming out of the trans as it did coming out of the bottle....I was brutal to my stuff on my move too, had a cooling issue on my move back from florida and trans never saw below 225* from florida to colorado, back to florida, and back to colorado again, towing two different trailers. Trans works as it always has. Cooling issue has been repaired now, and trans doesn't see above 175* any more.....

Ed is right on this, even I'll agree, there isn't a better fluid available. Here's the link for the Amsoil version that I run:

https://www.amsoil.com/p/torqu...nsmission-fluid-atd/

im using amsoil also, but there racing fluid... zero issues

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I remember once I tried the synthetic version of the Royal Purple Syndrolic 41, and managed to over heat it. You can’t imagine how bad that crap smelt. PU

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12161 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Fluid is Fluid!
LoL
Laughing Hard

[IMG]69782424-746b-4698-a0fd-40ab606c0b56-2-dc2f3ad83a71f658e179696433026d7c[/IMG]

That’s about where I’m at with it. I’ve been running Napa’s house brand Type F for years in both cars.

I don’t warm up or cool the driveline. Just race it and it works. If I saw any difference between runs #1 and #2, I’d change my routine.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
There’s a big difference between a manufacturer’s claim and having been tested by Allison and approved as having met their TES-295 spec.

Ed, how often are you changing the Transynd in your dragster?

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
every season