DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission temps.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission temps.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bozman:
So when I look at the Allison site they list a ton of different fluid approved for the Allison transmission. What is the difference in the Transynd fluid? I see they are all TES295, and some are TES468 approved. I presume this is like the difference between anyone's 20W50 motor oil and VR1 (IE I know the VR has additional Zinc), just wondering where the difference is that everyone is seeing.
We have run Cat HYDO for a long time for the same reasons mentioned here but it does tighten the converter up about 250RPM. This sounds interesting and would like some more information.

Also, where is the best place to purchase Transynd?

I'm interested in this question as well, is the Castrol, Mobil etc EXACTLY the same as the Allison Transynd. If I understand correctly Castrol makes the Allison labeled fluid so I think it would at minimum be the same but maybe I'm wrong. I would obviously like to save a few bucks if one was cheaper and the performance was identical.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you want to best you have to pay.

Transynd and Mobil 1 Delvac are the only two trans fluids that have been meet the criteria of Allison's TEC-295 spec and passed that I am aware of. Others have claimed they are as good but haven't submitted their fluid for testing to that spec.

Per Tom...

" Mobil 1 Delvac It's good stuff. Equivalent performance to TranSynd. I personally worked with ExxonMobil to test it and approve it for Allison."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...oSI&feature=emb_logo

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like there are more than that touting 295 and this looks like an allison website but sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the actual company or marketing levels, looks legit. Thanks for the video, looks like it was made 5 years ago, they may have had multiple spec submissions and approvals by now.

https://allisontransmission.co...ds/on-highway-fluids

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is he still with the company? Sounds like he would be the guy that would know without question. Thanks.

BG

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tom, has been retired from Allison since '09

as I already stated...

I'll stick with the original and what I have used for 17 years, Allison's Transynd

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Okie dokie.

BG

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70297

I use this cooler in both cars with FTI fluid and it can be hot lapped all day long and never see higher than 170, usually runs about 130ish. With the high gear deal it has seen 220 running 20 minutes apart but it's about 190-200 with any realistic time between runs.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have doubled both cars for years and the trans in the 565 dragster has been in the car for 5 seasons with one trans fluid change, we use only BTE Trans fluid. I know they don't make it, don't care. Never see anything over 180 no matter what we do. Like engine oils, we use New and Used oil analysis through Schaeffers Oil to monitor what we have.
As long as you like what you use, then keep using it if you have no issues. Taking the S10 up for 17 rounds in a day showed me what I needed to know about BTE Trans Fluid. Plenty GOOD!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
17 rounds you da man! That's a sweet day at the track right there.

I agree the BTE is good it's a semi synthetic Lucas. Good stuff.

BG

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I will use the Allison Transynd fluid as it does appear to be best

of course you will, you first read about it from me right here years ago.

You're welcome.

I agree with Steve. I should have used it years ago when you first posted about it. I won't use anything else again, that's for sure. My friend who owns a RV repair biz uses the "knockoff" but I will stay with the original. Gotta pay to play....

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
The spec is A295.
It means it is approved for use in Allison transmissions as an alternate to Allisons own Transynd fluid.
In the real world they cannot deny any warranty related claims to having the incorrect fluid as long as you can prove the A295 rating. A few players have had their formulation approved. Shell Spirax being one I know of.
Formulation between all the players will be close, enough that Allison would approve them for use as a substitute.
I have forever used "F" and got about 600 runs @over 1000hp and 2800# when the planetaries started to spall.F does not have "cushion" in it, it has lubricity but no resistance to friction or impact. It was never developed for what we use it for, but it performed great as far as clutch wear. Last freshen I switched to the Spirox A295 and do not have it back apart for any reason so the jury is out. However the "seat" says it does not seem as hot on the tunnel, I dont put a fan under the car anymore, but no actual temps or proof to say it it better.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The spec is TES-295, it was written by Tom Johnson of Allison and was the performance spec Castrol used to develop Transynd.

quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I will use the Allison Transynd fluid as it does appear to be best

of course you will, you first read about it from me right here years ago.

You're welcome.

I agree with Steve. I should have used it years ago when you first posted about it. I won't use anything else again, that's for sure. My friend who owns a RV repair biz uses the "knockoff" but I will stay with the original. Gotta pay to play....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I used to run Transynd because my old boss let me take it from work, once per year. Since leaving, this is what I run now, and it's pretty much the same fluid. Looks and smells exactly the same. I just serviced the trans in my truck, had about 65k on it, with this fluid, and it looked the same coming out of the trans as it did coming out of the bottle....I was brutal to my stuff on my move too, had a cooling issue on my move back from florida and trans never saw below 225* from florida to colorado, back to florida, and back to colorado again, towing two different trailers. Trans works as it always has. Cooling issue has been repaired now, and trans doesn't see above 175* any more.....

Ed is right on this, even I'll agree, there isn't a better fluid available. Here's the link for the Amsoil version that I run:

https://www.amsoil.com/p/torqu...nsmission-fluid-atd/

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mark, just keep in mind that Amsoil is not TES-295 tested nor approved

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
It does meet the spec though, and also the TES 389 spec....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Amsoil says it meets the spec, not Allison who is the author of the spec for their transmissions and built the test stand used to test all that applied.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
It does meet the spec though, and also the TES 389 spec....

How much $ is the Amsoil per qt?

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Mark Goulette

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://allisontransmission.co...ds/on-highway-fluids

Click on each TES to see who’s approved.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
So Amsoil IS NOT on the approved list and retail is cost much more than Castrol Transynd, why would someone want to use it then?

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post