DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How to pick up .15 ET
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to pick up .15 ET
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a baby blower on it. Three years from now it'll have a Bad Brad Anderson Top Alcohol funny car hemi sticking out of the hood, riding the snowball to hell SuperPro bracket racing!!

Laughing Hard

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It ain't 75hp either. He's gotta bring the average a to b power up, at the back tire.

He's got the mph already 140.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
First that intake is too small switch to the edelbrock sv632 intake and port match. With those cubes and your cut combo it WIlL be faster on gas with a good gas carb! Is that to get you .15 in et, nope! But it will be noticeably faster! MPH equal HP , ET is how effectively you apply it!

To do what you want in the 1/8 your talking 75 to 90 HP increase so if your current engine combo is decent you don’t have a chance without NOS or boost!

TOP38...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just another thought. I believe you run a 33x15 tire, have you ever run anything a little smaller with this engine or your previous engine?

We have a set of Hoosier 18260 (32x14.5w stiff) that are our favorite tire and a set of MT 3080 tires and they are about .06 slower than the Hoosiers.There is about 2.5” difference in circumference between the two and a little weight difference So the smaller tire is a little quicker but adds about 150-200 rpm at the finish line.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I switched to the mt 30771 last year. 32x16x15 so a little shorter but they are actually a couple lbs heavier so no noticeable et diff. Have thought about trying a 33x10.5 tire but not sure if that would make it hard to get down consistently.
I was only wanting this to get into some more quick races where they are door car and dragsters together. If not gaining .15 then I'll just leave it as is. Looks like leave it alone or small amount of forced power n2o or 250 baby. Thanks for all the input.

quote:
Originally posted by 70 Mach 1:
Just another thought. I believe you run a 33x15 tire, have you ever run anything a little smaller with this engine or your previous engine?

We have a set of Hoosier 18260 (32x14.5w stiff) that are our favorite tire and a set of MT 3080 tires and they are about .06 slower than the Hoosiers.There is about 2.5” difference in circumference between the two and a little weight difference So the smaller tire is a little quicker but adds about 150-200 rpm at the finish line.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Figured I'd throw this out there. Have you thought about looking into a different converter? Don't know, maybe you've already done that.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 different ones in it and have 2 more I can try but there was very little difference in the 1st 2. They were both Abruzzi diode converters. The other 2 were built for my previous engine so doubt they would be better, 1 is an Abruzzi spragless and the other a Chance diode.
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Figured I'd throw this out there. Have you thought about looking into a different converter? Don't know, maybe you've already done that.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Don’t know why no one mentioned it but you’ll definitely pick up if you run a good gas carb setup for Q-16 or even Q-15 which is a blend of Q-16 and C-15, IIRC
A Tenth is definitely possible. Even in the 1/8th

I ran Q-15 for a while and it made noticeably more power.

My own experience with methanol vs gas was my car with a 2100 Ron’s Terminator was barely faster than the same car and engine on std gas with a 1050.

Alcohol injection or carb is sharper at the hit and 60’s better and injection may mph higher but not by much in my experience.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have considered that but I really like methanol for the # of passes I put on and double entering. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Don’t know why no one mentioned it but you’ll definitely pick up if you run a good gas carb setup for Q-16 or even Q-15 which is a blend of Q-16 and C-15, IIRC
A Tenth is definitely possible. Even in the 1/8th

I ran Q-15 for a while and it made noticeably more power.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
same old same old, still won't swap to gas Didn't think of that WhatEver

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have talked to Oakley and they say on gas would gain roughly 30 hp or tunnel ram on alky about the same 30 hp. That difference doesn't gain enough so probably just leave as is.

I been debating dry sump oil system for better oil control not ET but would there be any ET in that?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My decision is run methanol, I'm just not willing to pay $15 a gallon for fuel. It is not a must have to gain any ET. It is 1st of all a bracket car, the extra ET just gives me another class a few times a year that I could run. I'm very happy with the combo I have and fine if it doesn't get any quicker. 200+ passes a year and double enter makes methanol the right choice for me. I know your opinion on it and I respect it so please do the same for mine.

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
same old same old, still won't swap to gas Didn't think of that WhatEver

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You could spend a ton of money on carbs, tunnel ram intakes and run methanol and maybe pick up or maybe not.

I fully understand the reasons for running methanol. Makes the most sense for sure when making a lot of runs and from a fuel cost standpoint.

The best system I ran and that was when I primarily bracket raced was the Terminator with Primer Plus based off of fuel costs alone and engine staying cool no matter how many runs I made.

I believe gas would be faster once the ideal intake and carb or carbs was on there but it’s not your fuel of choice and lots of racers agree on that.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
My decision is run methanol, I'm just not willing to pay $15 a gallon for fuel.

my dragster engine makes alot more power than yours, has more compression and my gas, Sunoco Blue cost about $10/gallon

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So I guess you respecting my choice is not going to happen. So I switch and pick up 30hp, not even close to enough and now double entry is tough to keep it cool. My fuel is $3. I'm done discussing fuel choice with you.

quote:
quote:
My decision is run methanol, I'm just not willing to pay $15 a gallon for fuel.

my dragster engine makes alot more power than yours, has more compression and my gas, Sunoco Blue cost about $10/gallon

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
3150 lb cars I've inputted gear selection on here in the neighborhood, have gone high 4.80 at 140 mph.

It ain't the power as much as it is upping the average a to b power, at the back tire.

Unless you're just dying to spend money to make more hp, in order to side step the efficiency conflict.

Efficiency

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I guess you respecting my choice is not going to happen. So I switch and pick up 30hp, not even close to enough and now double entry is tough to keep it cool. My fuel is $3. I'm done discussing fuel choice with you.

WhatEver and that's why you're once again you are unhappy with your engine and why once again, you'll be building another. Laughing very hard

you're a wannabe go fast guy not a bracket racer and following the advice of retard rietow another wannabe go fast guy who runs 6.40s is perfect. Laughing Hard

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Where do I say I'm unhappy? What advice did I follow? Congrats on being so great you must be very proud.

quote:
quote:

WhatEver and that's why you're once again you are unhappy with your engine and why once again, you'll be building another. Laughing very hard

you're a wannabe go fast guy not a bracket racer and following the advice of retard rietow another wannabe go fast guy who runs 6.40s is perfect. Laughing Hard

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1)Baby blower. Think oakley has those covered pretty good.

2)wont pick up .15 but injection is worth some. Lithium batteries worth a few.

3)buy a top sportsman car

Posts: 75 | Location: nitrousville | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everyone calm down, Ed went to breast feed his driver, he'll be back to tell who's crate engine is best.

The extent of his drag racing learning... Who's crate engine is best this year Big Grin