DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How to pick up .15 ET
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to pick up .15 ET
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I have a 632 with profiler 174X heads and sniper manifold (cnc ported from profiler) running on methanol with 1450 single carb. 14.8:1 compression .890 lift before lash, shifting at 7500. It's in a chassis door car runs high 4.90's to mid 5.0's @ 138ish depending on the weather. How much gain if any would you expect from porting these? I have also considered going to a tunnel ram if that would help. If I can't pick up a solid .15 then I may put a small shot on it. I've just never been a nitrous guy. I've been down the head and intake porting road before on another set of heads. In that case I did nothing for ET but this is a different engine setup and different head/intake combo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: inferno camaro,

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I have a 632 with profiler 174X heads and sniper manifold (cnc ported from profiler) running on methanol with 1450 single carb. 14.8:1 compression .890 lift before lash, shifting at 7500. It's in a chassis door car runs high 4.90's to mid 5.0's @ 138-139 depending on the weather. How much gain if any would you expect from porting these? I have also considered going to a tunnel ram if that would help. If I can't pick up a solid .015 then I may put a small shot on it. I've just never been a nitrous guy. I've been down the head and intake porting road before on another set of heads. In that case I did nothing for ET but this is a different engine setup and different head/intake combo.

A Bo Laws carb is worth a little. A 1.69 and a 5.13 gear is worth a little in the middle around the shift.

I only been telling ya that 5 years. Big Grin

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I run the Profiler 174x heads and they flow really well out of the box, IMO any port work to them or manifold will be a waste of money and will not gain much of anything. To pick up .150-.200 in a fast door car like you have is going to have to come from some sort of boost

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's fast everywhere but in the middle. That costs momentum, mph.

Ya might be able to kick it in the azz a lil harder out of the gate less efficient converter in low gear -1.69 too.

It'll definitely carry momentum better at the
shift.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes you have. I don't think I have the rpm to go 5.13 Running 4.86 now crossing at 7450 around 9 % slip. That is as hard as I want to twist it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
I have a 632 with profiler 174X heads and sniper manifold (cnc ported from profiler) running on methanol with 1450 single carb. 14.8:1 compression .890 lift before lash, shifting at 7500. It's in a chassis door car runs high 4.90's to mid 5.0's @ 138-139 depending on the weather. How much gain if any would you expect from porting these? I have also considered going to a tunnel ram if that would help. If I can't pick up a solid .015 then I may put a small shot on it. I've just never been a nitrous guy. I've been down the head and intake porting road before on another set of heads. In that case I did nothing for ET but this is a different engine setup and different head/intake combo.

A Bo Laws carb is worth a little. A 1.69 and a 5.13 gear is worth a little in the middle around the shift.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is what I'm thinking too.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I run the Profiler 174x heads and they flow really well out of the box, IMO any port work to them or manifold will be a waste of money and will not gain much of anything. To pick up .150-.200 in a fast door car like you have is going to have to come from some sort of boost

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes you have. I don't think I have the rpm to go 5.13 Running 4.86 now crossing at 7450 around 9 % slip. That is as hard as I want to twist it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

7700 140 mph

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
And you don’t think you’re going to twist it harder with spray

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
IMO, those heads are very good for what they are (24º) ….for gasoline.

I would consider a fuel change first, especially since you are running naturally aspirated on alcohol. I would think one tenth there and possibly a cam change (you didn’t mention what you had) for a few more little numbers and then look for a place to get some weight out if possible. If your only looking for .15, that’s an easy job for the NOS and it wouldn’t be much of a threat to anything…..but most defiantly go to gas first…..

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Despite making more horsepower on the dyno with alcohol, we ran roughly .05 quicker by switching to gas on our 632 head hunter motor.

Most likely to pick up any more it’s going to require weight and or nitrous.

Posts: 793 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I told you and dad you would Wink

Deja vue, the OP wasn’t happy with his last engine and wanted more power while refusing to run gas, that’s why he got this engine and now it isn’t good enough. Roll Eyes

That said, the OP’s engine was built by Phil Oakley, that’s he should be asking, not seeking opinions here. My opinion is he ain’t going to find a Tenth and a half with this combo without spending thousands and countless hours swapping parts and testing. Time to sell this one and start over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Deja vue, the OP wasn’t happy with his last engine and wanted more power while refusing to run gas, that’s why he got this engine and now it isn’t good enough. Roll Eyes

That said, the OP’s engine was built by Phil Oakley, that’s he should be asking, not seeking opinions here. My opinion he ain’t going to find. Tenth and a half with this combo without sounding thousands and countless hours swapping parts and testing. Time to sell this one and start over.

Not afraid to admit you were right on that Ed. PAR also told us it would pick up on gas despite dyno numbers on his dyno

Not sure if the OP has an aluminum block or not. If no aluminum block then that along with switching to gas is probably worth a solid tenth or a tad more

As far as porting goes. After porting heads/intake I have seen no gain to potentially 0.02 in gain. The 0.02 in gain may have just been more in my head to make me feel better about the situation

This message has been edited. Last edited by: racerdude2054,

Posts: 793 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've stated here many times that if your heads are sized correctly for your engine, porting them and your intake is a waste of $$ no matters who is doing the work. Been there, spent the money and also saw no improvement...ZERO!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Other question is are you trying to pick up .015 or .15 big difference you’re post says .015 you state both

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
4.9x year round.

Gasoline is faster, we saw that firsthand on a 23 434 I did for a Super Pro doorslammer that dipped in the 5.50's on gasoline.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My last engine was .10 faster on methanol than gas. I ran it in 114 gas, E85 and methanol and was quicker and faster on methanol. I would have built a 12* headed engine but they are too tall to fit under the hood. Looks like a small shot will be the solution.

quote:

That said, the OP’s engine was built by Phil Oakley, that’s he should be asking, not seeking opinions here. My opinion is he ain’t going to find a Tenth and a half with this combo without spending thousands and countless hours swapping parts and testing. Time to sell this one and start over.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think your car is a perfect candidate for a TBS 250 mini blower with the goal you have and have some room for more if desired. A little thicker head gasket and you should be able to run 2-4 psi and easily run 4.70-4.80’s. The 4.86 gear will have to be switched to a 4.30 gear.

When we installed the 250 on dads car, he was adamant about it fitting under the hood. So we had to install a new scoop to clear everything. The biggest challenge was finding one long enough. The nose on his beretta slopes down so the hood itself would hit the front pulley. Your Camaro may not have that concern.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do have an aluminum block.

quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:

That said, the OP’s engine was built by Phil Oakley, that’s he should be asking, not seeking opinions here. My opinion he ain’t going to find. Tenth and a half with this combo without sounding thousands and countless hours swapping parts and testing. Time to sell this one and start over.

Not afraid to admit you were right on that Ed. PAR also told us it would pick up on gas despite dyno numbers on his dyno

Not sure if the OP has an aluminum block or not. If no aluminum block then that along with switching to gas is probably worth a solid tenth or a tad more

As far as porting goes. After porting heads/intake I have seen no gain to potentially 0.02 in gain. The 0.02 in gain may have just been more in my head to make me feel better about the situation

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
.15, must have fat fingered it.

quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Other question is are you trying to pick up .015 or .15 big difference you’re post says .015 you state both

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
My last engine was .10 faster on methanol than gas. I ran it in 114 gas, E85 and methanol and was quicker and faster on methanol.

it wasn't, you just think it was because your testing was invalid, no weather data, no control car in the other lane.