DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For some of these kids, being able to share the track with the big cars is all about being able to be in the lanes with racers they look up to and saying they got to race with them. I am all for it but the tracks that do blend the jr program and big cars enforce the towing rule and offer a safe place for them to pull to at the end of the track while waiting to be towed back. If the jr's are allowed to drive thru the pits back to the trailers then yes, this becomes a safety issue.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Cadamore
posted Hide Post
I was going to drop the subject as some get easily upset but I have to add this to the mix. I know it was a very odd day with a lot of down-time but due to the fact I lost early I watched the later rounds in one of my favorite places, half track. We are REAL LUCKY we didn't lose a race car or two. Cars and dragsters both are spinning up on end of the track and I mien bad. A couple of dragsters reved up like they were on ice. And no it wasn't just the oiled left lane it was both. If something as simple as getting the Jr.s finished earlier helps prevent someone from wrecking I am all for it. I know your kids are the joy of your life and they should be but if it comes at such a high cost is it really worth it?

Posts: 155 | Location: Freeport | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
They don't let the Little League baseball players play in the 7th inning stretch at PNC Park either guys. Hey...I respect the JR program as much as any of you..believe it or not maybe more. I had thought of selling my ride and buying a couple of JR's and running a program for less privileged kids to get to the track and see the sport we all love. But it comes down to safety and that is for both the JR's and the big cars...just my opinion.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of JordanPR22
posted Hide Post
I am selling my pitbike. Its completely new, just needs a few more things to be finished. If anyone is interested message me on here or email me. Spread the word if you can.

Thanks

hondahaase22@yahoo.com

Jordan Haase
PR22
MiROCK # 2253

2009 Honda CBR 600RR
1982 Kawasaki GPz 550
team HARD racing - 1320 Psychos

Brock's Performance - GMS Racing Engines - Z&M Cycles - M&M Leather - JW Kustomz

FOREVER 53

Posts: 165 | Location: Irwin, PA | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I agree with what your saying Shawn, PRP does make the jrs stop in a safe place and then be picked up by a tow dolly, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes kind of clogs up the Lt side return road. Buts it's still the best spot to get them off the track and hooked up as per the Ihra rules.

Eric, I understand what your saying, but last time I checked weekly bracket cars weren't multi million dollar earning "players" that have thousands of people that pay way too much for a ticket come out to watch. Not a great comparison IMO - even though the 13 people setting in the stands may agree with you.

John I see what your saying about getting the higher powered cars down the track earlier could be safer no doubt about that. I guess I get offended too quickly, as it often the Junior classes takes so much of a beating (not just at PRP but at many tracks) for being the biggest "problem" at the track.

I can see where running as many classes as possible at the same time may make be more sense to the track because I would think it would lessen the payroll, and other operating expenses to keep everything together, and I believe Greg was trying to get a little exposure for the Junior classes - to those people in the stands that may have not ever even seen a junior before, and maybe pick up a few more racing families....We sure need them, not too many new people coming into this game whatever age demo you look at. Unfortunately we cant have it all.

Some people the early start screws them up, others the late start does. I'm pretty fortunate to not have to work on Saturdays anymore, so it doesn't mater too much to us, as we'll be there whatever time the gates open, trying to enter as many classes as we can handle.

I have a question for you some of you guys.........you ever think about installing a diaper? I know we all think its going to run forever, but how much time would have been saved, and there for had been safer for the high powered cars had even 3 or 4 out of the 6 cars that broke last weekend had diapers on them? ....just something to think about

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
I run one on my car, and Pat has one on his dragster,too.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Diaper on my car also...

Steve...that may have not been the greatest comparison and in no way am I saying I'm a professional.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I actually talked with Greg this morning about the diaper thing. They sell them at Jegs for like 125.00 or so. I told Greg he should make cars that run say 10.49 or faster need to have one. Stock them in the track store if someone needs one. Give them one weekend to race without one and make them have one the next race day. A 10.49 or faster car is usually a 15,000.00 hot rod. You can spare a little extra for the added safety and to show respect for other racers for not messing up the track. Not that anyone does it on purpose. Thats not what I ment.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would bet a phone call to Joe West at J&J would get diapers at your parts store and at a price that should be affordable for any racer.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at those Bob. There is another post in the tech section mentioning them also.

I got burnt with the Lummit store brand junk this winter, kind of a little gun shy on buying box store brand junk anymore, but others seemed to like them.
I've never seen one,do the cheap non SFI ones do a decent job on a rod exiting? They would have to help some, you would think?

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I have one on mine. I would think it would hold the oil and most of the parts in. I hope not to find out.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Per...s/555/50210/10002/-1

I think thats the one on my car. Might be the JJ also, I can't remember for sure. They look very close in design to me.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
I actually talked with Greg this morning about the diaper thing. They sell them at Jegs for like 125.00 or so. I told Greg he should make cars that run say 10.49 or faster need to have one. Stock them in the track store if someone needs one. Give them one weekend to race without one and make them have one the next race day. A 10.49 or faster car is usually a 15,000.00 hot rod. You can spare a little extra for the added safety and to show respect for other racers for not messing up the track. Not that anyone does it on purpose. Thats not what I ment.

This is a really good idea. You want to know what the irony of this idea is?

There will be guys who will whine about having to buy and install a diaper, but they are the same guys who whine about how long the cleanups take.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
Bob, does your car have factory motor mounts? I am trying to figure out how I could get one on my car, but it looks like it would be tricky at best. Especially being a rear steer (center link behind the crossmember) there isn't much room in there. If I had motor plates and rack and pinion it would be on there already. I was quoted over $500 for a DRE that would be custom fit for the motor mounts and stuff. Love the idea, just trying to figure the best way of doing it on a stock front end car.

Jones Transmission Pumps
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you are running into an issue with the stock mounts, I know that Mike Carroll just fit his camaro with a diaper from JJ Performance. Joe took the time to explain to Mike what he needed to do to customize his diaper without having to spend big bucks. You can find the JJ Performance contact info in the business directory here.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I have stock mounts and it fits just fine. It's pulled down a fuzz where the mounts are, but usually the junk comes out below that. It didn't just snap on. I had to fight with it to get it right, but it's a nice clean install. Just a side note, some tracks require mufflers to run, and most ot the time that costs more than an engine diaper.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd love to see diapers become mandatory, at least on 10.00 and quicker cars. And it has nothing to do with the cleanups, that would just be an added perk. I put the roll bar in when I was still running 13s, because I wanted the safety. When the 455 grenaded in October, I was just glad I was at the top of 1st gear, and not 3rd. My car doesn't see many street miles anymore, and I will also have an electric water pump, so any heat retention a diaper might cause won't be an issue.

I know my carnage was a bit unusual, but for what it's worth, the rod kicked into the pan, opening a hole above the crossmember, right before the pan's transition into the sump, and 2 of the freeze plugs came out. I put water down on the track, and I think a diaper would have caught at least most of it. The oil didn't start leaking until I had been pulled over and it started returning to the pan. The water may have been too much, but I would have been pulled over more, if not all the way, if it would have overflowed.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Cadamore
posted Hide Post
Bill Huey got the one for my Daytona years ago for me but maybe its time to fit one up on the Duster. The only issue on my car is one of my Headmen header tubes is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch from the Milidon oil pan. Stock front mopar suspensions are a real pain because of the steering link. A lot of those guys build a containment pan instead of running a diaper.

Posts: 155 | Location: Freeport | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro 301g
posted Hide Post
I think the IHRA rule is 9.99.. I have one also and thought it was stupid till i lost an engine. Well worth the cash. Yes they are a pain to deal with.. What isnt on a race car anyway..

Abruzzi Converters Advance Auto Parts
Wiseco Pistons
Dart Blocks
Ronald McDonald House Akron

Posts: 629 | Location: Home | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
I ran a 6.73 with a 1.00 60 ft. Traction was AWESOME. I can't remember the track ever being that sticky.

Does anyone think that if tomorrow is cancelled, Greg might have a test and tune/gamblers race on Sunday.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Getting ready for Nitro Jam, or you heading somewhere before then? Is that a personal best? That's flying!!
not worthy Double Thumbs up

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post