DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear shocks for 4.70-4.90 door car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear shocks for 4.70-4.90 door car
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N2Ofrog:
Sounds like a textbook reason to have dumps on the shocks.

A dump isn't gonna fix the ultimate inhibitor in this equation, being the 2.5" of useable compression travel in play on Mr inferno's car.

If inferno had more shaft showing at ride height, sure you can dump dropping the car putting more bite in it down track, by lowering the IC.

You can do it using a two way clicker on compression as well.

Again, this is why I bowed out last minute doing a set of TTX's for Mr. Inferno.

Somehow we gotta get additional useable compression travel in the car, for progress.[/QUOT

I can't imagine needing more than 2.5" of shock movement in either direction. The air dumps don't actually lower the ride height do they? Isn't it just to soften the ride? Springs set ride height correct?

Yes, dumps lower the car down track.

The amount of high pressure on the deck lid/ wing determines the ride height at speed.

If you wanna clean up the drivesaft graph, you want the tire under the car at speed (lower ride height), for bite downtrack.

Then you have bumps to absorb to factor in. If you have 2" of shaft showing, a good rule of thumb is subtract 1/2". You don't wanna bottom the damper out at speed.

When you get some shaft showing (useable compression travel), you'll most likely find a slightly longer IC more affective.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
[/QUOT

I can't imagine needing more than 2.5" of shock movement in either direction. The air dumps don't actually lower the ride height do they? Isn't it just to soften the ride? Springs set ride height correct?[/QUOTE]

I'm a KISS(keep it simple stupid) kind of person.

The shocks on my car, like most, dump rebound- most cars like the stiff rebound on the launch to keep the tire planted for a period of time. Having the dumps gives me a couple of options: tune the launch/when I want the car to get up on the tire and soften the ride down track for bumps, etc. When I dump the shock graph shows the car going to, or slightly above, ride height. My shocks have use a total of less than 1" of travel.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N2Ofrog:
[/QUOT

I can't imagine needing more than 2.5" of shock movement in either direction. The air dumps don't actually lower the ride height do they? Isn't it just to soften the ride? Springs set ride height correct?

The shocks on my car, like most, dump rebound- most cars like the stiff rebound on the launch to keep the tire planted for a period of time. Having the dumps gives me a couple of options: tune the launch/when I want the car to get up on the tire and soften the ride down track for bumps, etc. When I dump the shock graph shows the car going to, or slightly above, ride height. My shocks have use a total of less than 1" of travel.[/QUOTE]

That is what most shock guys I've talked to say. Almost non use over an inch of travel. Does the dump make a big difference in keeping the car settled down track?

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That would be the equivalent of digressive valving on rebound. My TTX's separate down track, car looks jacked up at the stripe.

That approach would work if inferno's car will handle ok with less bite down track. What's the deck lid and spoiler look like? Post a video we can see lid and spoiler.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N2Ofrog:
[/QUOT

The shocks on my car, like most, dump rebound- most cars like the stiff rebound on the launch to keep the tire planted for a period of time. Having the dumps gives me a couple of options: tune the launch/when I want the car to get up on the tire and soften the ride down track for bumps, etc. When I dump the shock graph shows the car going to, or slightly above, ride height. My shocks have use a total of less than 1" of travel.

That is what most shock guys I've talked to say. Almost non use over an inch of travel. Does the dump make a big difference in keeping the car settled down track?[/QUOTE]

It is smoother going over bumps, rough transitions, etc. If the track is smooth, I don't feel any difference if I dump or not. Only issue I've run into is if I dump too early on greasy track, it will try to light the tire up and/or shake--if I think the track is hot or greasy, I won't dump until after I get into high gear.

While the shock graph looks totally different, I've not noticed any difference in mph whether I dump or not, or between more or less wicker bill on the wing.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Infenro, it comes down to handling. You may be able to sail yours down through there with less weight on the back tires, dump on rebound. Looking at N2O frogs aero in comparison to yours, is the variable.

Riding high in the back will also buy you a little useable compression travel too (fine tune using IC adjustments). Might be the hot ticket.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the guy that has been helping tune my car. He drives a top sportsman car and runs the JRI with dumps. He says his moves a total of an inch on a pass.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just talked to the guy that has been helping tune my car. He drives a top sportsman car and runs the JRI with dumps. He says his moves a total of an inch on a pass.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

How much increase you gain in separation down track depends on when you dump rebound and instant center - anti-squat percentage.

The only downside if there is any, is if it works well, it'll tell you it could have been done with digressive valving or a 2 way clicker on rebound, no timer, air & accessories onboard.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://youtu.be/6M0vNIkKMhQ

Ya'll must have some fast door cars up there Super Pro racing. You're behind red!! Confused

Decisions, decisions. I'll bet these have digressive valving, Strange knows . Koni's are liberal in the digressive valving department too - Jerry Bickle

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ya'll must have some fast door cars up there Super Pro racing. You're behind red!! Confused

Decisions, decisions. I'll bet these have digressive valving, Strange knows . Koni's are liberal in the digressive valving department too - Jerry Bickle

He is a 5.70's car

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
so now you want the internet forum world to believe that Bradenton has been investigating cone gate for 3 years and they concluded their investigation this past weekend, finding that not only were you robbed of a round win but in fact the race was rigged by a track official who was terminated due to this.

All I can say is the investigation into alleged Russian collusion by the Trump Administration to rig the 2016 election was completed in far less time and without finding a shred of evidence to the fact despite having an army of lawyers headed up by Mueller, a former FBI director and spending $30M. Seems the democrats would have done better hiring Bradenton's investigative team. :

I'm not gonna say how it all went down because I don't kick people when they're down.

I will say he was the temporary track manager for the race in question and someone higher up asked him about this video, if it were true, and didn't like the answer he gave (attitude), so they fired him, reinstated me. There's some other stuff that happened too, I'm not gonna say.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

He is a 5.70's car

I get it now, that's a competition run, not a time shot. I was thinking time shot. Around here you can't take video that close, during competition.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My other thought was to put a valve body in that will set in high gear. That would slow the car down and I should be able to soften the shocks and not have an issue launching. Plus it would give a way different look during the race.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
so now you want the internet forum world to believe that Bradenton has been investigating cone gate for 3 years and they concluded their investigation this past weekend, finding that not only were you robbed of a round win but in fact the race was rigged by a track official who was terminated due to this.

All I can say is the investigation into alleged Russian collusion by the Trump Administration to rig the 2016 election was completed in far less time and without finding a shred of evidence to the fact despite having an army of lawyers headed up by Mueller, a former FBI director and spending $30M. Seems the democrats would have done better hiring Bradenton's investigative team. :

I'm not gonna say how it all went down because I don't kick people when they're down.

I will say he was the temporary track manager for the race in question and someone higher up asked him about this video, if it were true, and didn't like the answer he gave (attitude), so they fired him, reinstated me. There's some other stuff that happened too, I'm not gonna say.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="378" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dVd0aQ9FkTk" width="672">[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Does this mean we won't have to ever hear about this BS or see another post of yours with these pictures and videos attached?????????

Didn't think of that

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
good luck with that happening WhatEver

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Does this mean we won't have to ever hear about this BS or see another post of yours with these pictures and videos attached?????????

When things trend to bad is good and good is bad, it's worth fighting for.

It's overcoming this country. A year from now or less it'll dawn on you and all the other sheep, you'll will see it then, but by then it'll be too late.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's overcoming this country. A year from now or less it'll dawn on you and all the other sheep, you'll will see it then, but by then it'll be too late.

It really was a simple question! And a simple "NO" answer would have worked... You may now carry on...

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It really was a simple question! And a simple "NO" answer would have worked... You may now carry on...

The better question is, are you gonna disobey unlawful orders starting today, or are you gonna remain complicit in the destruction of human freedom?

The more relevant question.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Didn't think of that

the answer is obvious, his bullshyt will continue

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post