DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear shocks for 4.70-4.90 door car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear shocks for 4.70-4.90 door car
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bla, Bla... Bla... Bla, bla, bla. My buddies truck goes 4.60 very consistent but needs better shocks.

What is a logger gonna tell the OP about a bump on the track in relation to the shaft movement of the damper? Nothing.

This shows how clueless you are Top 38. A logger on a Pro Modified is used to monitor/adjust clicker setting/valving capacity to drive out of tire shake with shaft speeds as high as 60 inches per second.

Carry on with your Bla, Bla... Bla...Bla, Bla, Bla.

BTW. I've never sold a damper with a dump, I have sold dampers with 3 and 4 way adjuster but you apparently don't know how they affect damping either.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
As with anything, one part can make or break a combo but it can also be in the combo too! This is a case where a data logger with shock travel would allow you to get to the root of the issue much faster than WAG's from all on this site including me! Your car doesn't have a large sweet spot with respect to track conditions and the rear shocks are just one piece of your combo. You haven't mentioned anything about the fronts! or how the car leaves! Also you noted that the car works best on full stiff in the first 150', that's a big red flag that could mean the shocks aren't valved correctly or it's a crutch for the real issue! There is also no friggin reason you need 3 or 4 way shocks with air dumps for this combo! If you believe that then Mike Retread has the perfect shocks for you! You may need to have your rear shocks re-valved but you certainly have other issues that you need to find and address first...

As for shock maintenance, if you have a set of shocks without gas pressure, if they aren't leaking you are probably wasting your money having them serviced, if you have gas charged shocks and they don't hold pressure then I'd have them serviced. As far as entry level, mid level and high end shocks go, the faster your car is the more benefits you will see from the high end stuff. I drive a TS S10 for one of my buddies, it has a set of AFCO's from 1996 in that truck and run's 4.60's in the 1/8. The truck is very consistent. The shocks have never been out of the truck,,, however it's time to upgrade.

The car works really well on smooth tracks, most here won't race on tracks as rough as some of my local tracks. It may be as simple as they are simply too rough. There was a 4.80 dragster there the last time I was there and he loaded up and went home it was so rough.

Two things then,,,
you should address the need for full stiff shock settings

Sounds like you may want to reconsider you're choices of tracks to choose to race at

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
As with anything, one part can make or break a combo but it can also be in the combo too! This is a case where a data logger with shock travel would allow you to get to the root of the issue much faster than WAG's from all on this site including me! Your car doesn't have a large sweet spot with respect to track conditions and the rear shocks are just one piece of your combo. You haven't mentioned anything about the fronts! or how the car leaves! Also you noted that the car works best on full stiff in the first 150', that's a big red flag that could mean the shocks aren't valved correctly or it's a crutch for the real issue! There is also no friggin reason you need 3 or 4 way shocks with air dumps for this combo! If you believe that then Mike Retread has the perfect shocks for you! You may need to have your rear shocks re-valved but you certainly have other issues that you need to find and address first...

As for shock maintenance, if you have a set of shocks without gas pressure, if they aren't leaking you are probably wasting your money having them serviced, if you have gas charged shocks and they don't hold pressure then I'd have them serviced. As far as entry level, mid level and high end shocks go, the faster your car is the more benefits you will see from the high end stuff. I drive a TS S10 for one of my buddies, it has a set of AFCO's from 1996 in that truck and run's 4.60's in the 1/8. The truck is very consistent. The shocks have never been out of the truck,,, however it's time to upgrade.

The car works really well on smooth tracks, most here won't race on tracks as rough as some of my local tracks. It may be as simple as they are simply too rough. There was a 4.80 dragster there the last time I was there and he loaded up and went home it was so rough.

Two things then,,,

Sounds like you may want to reconsider you're choices of tracks to choose to race at

Bla... Bla.... Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Do you know where your 4 link is set at? Crank centerline? and corner weights? I may not be able to help, but I can tell you this is the reason for Koni sweeps and why other shocks "dump" air. What makes this interesting is that I don't think 4.90's is really a window for sweeps. I go 4.90's and have used a few pairs of Afco's on bumpy and smooth tracks. My best is a 1.062 60' and was 4.92. I'm wondering if other parts of the car need to be honed in a bit.

4 link is set at 60.2 out 6.8 up 68% AS. Have also been out to 67 and down to 53. LF 643 RF 560 LR 593 RR 603

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Two things then,,,

I appreciate the input. It just sucks that my closest track is the roughest, if I can't safely run there I won't. The shocks will be at the least re-valved.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Do you know where your 4 link is set at? Crank centerline? and corner weights? I may not be able to help, but I can tell you this is the reason for Koni sweeps and why other shocks "dump" air. What makes this interesting is that I don't think 4.90's is really a window for sweeps. I go 4.90's and have used a few pairs of Afco's on bumpy and smooth tracks. My best is a 1.062 60' and was 4.92. I'm wondering if other parts of the car need to be honed in a bit.

4 link is set at 60.2 out 6.8 up 68% AS. Have also been out to 67 and down to 53. LF 643 RF 560 LR 593 RR 603

I'd suggest to think of it in terms of the shaft in the main body. When the front tires absorb the bump on the track, what direction does the shaft move in the main body, in or out? Then the back tire.. which direction does the shaft move?

Some of this kind of stuff you gotta take upon yourself to come up with an approach. IMO somehow you need to get more shaft showing at ride height. For more digressive valving for bumpy surfaces.

This is pretty much why we didn't think we could help you properly.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

AGAIN, TOP38...KNOWS!!!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Inferno, If I had not stopped the transaction, there's a good possibility this thread would be about a damaged part I sold you, for the simple reason you would have received a damper which would have rode smooth over on bump, with the possibility of bottoming out.

A bumper on the shaft to protect against bottoming out the damper wouldn't have worked. A bumper is a stiff damper, no matter the valving.

I'd think about ways to get more shaft showing sir.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Inferno, do yourself a huge favor and disregard anything this clown who's a nobody and has done nothing, tells you.

TOP38s advice and comments are spot on and I've him/the S10 he drives that runs far quicker than your ride.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Inferno, do yourself a huge favor and disregard anything this clown who's a nobody and has done nothing, tells you.

TOP38s advice and comments are spot on and I've him/the S10 he drives that runs far quicker than your ride.

I do it all Edward. Engines, transmissions and suspension.

Anyone of just about any drag racing level can distinguish the common sense I'm speaking, in comparison to Bla... Bla, Bla Bla... Bla, Bla you're speaking crate engine boy.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
cone killer, oh please tell us the names of the bracket racers and specify what park of their junk you are claiming responsibility for building, who are competing on the BIG $ gambler's/bracket racing circuit specifically SFG, The Flings and Folk's Million as well NHRA Class racing and the class they compete.

Otherwise.....STFU!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Unlike you, I don't post peoples names on the net, crate engine boy!

I do it all, engines, transmissions and suspension.

Everything I've ever touched has won everything & anything from Super Pro championships, Big money bracket races, wally's to radial tire championship diamond rings.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You don’t because you can’t because you haven't built shyt for anybody of note bracket or NHRA class racing! You’re a fraud and a internet salesman preying on the naïve, clueless and easily impressed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a textbook reason to have dumps on the shocks.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N2Ofrog:

A dump isn't gonna fix the ultimate inhibitor in this equation, being the 2" of useable compression travel in play on Mr inferno's car.

If inferno had more shaft showing at ride height, sure you can dump dropping the car putting more bite in it down track, by lowering the IC.

You can do it using a two way clicker on compression as well.

Again, this is why I bowed out last minute doing a set of TTX's for Mr. Inferno.

Somehow we gotta get additional useable compression travel in the car, for progress.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Everything I've ever touched has won everything & anything from Super Pro championships, Big money bracket races, wally's to radial tire championship diamond rings.

You left out Cone Killer Champ too!

Just saying, don't sell yourself short! Big Grin

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You left out Cone Killer Champ too!

Just saying, don't sell yourself short! Big Grin

True, I won that war too this past weekend, when I was reinstated Bradenton, and the track official who rigged the race, was fired.

Tooth & Nail

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so now you want the internet forum world to believe that Bradenton has been investigating cone gate for 3 years and they concluded their investigation this past weekend, finding that not only were you robbed of a round win but in fact the race was rigged by a track official who was terminated due to this.

All I can say is the investigation into alleged Russian collusion by the Trump Administration to rig the 2016 election was completed in far less time and without finding a shred of evidence to the fact despite having an army of lawyers headed up by Mueller, a former FBI director and spending $30M. Seems the democrats would have done better hiring Bradenton's investigative team. You're Nuts You're Nuts You're Nuts

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N2Ofrog:

A dump isn't gonna fix the ultimate inhibitor in this equation, being the 2" of useable compression travel in play on Mr inferno's car.

If inferno had more shaft showing at ride height, sure you can dump dropping the car putting more bite in it down track, by lowering the IC.

You can do it using a two way clicker on compression as well.

Again, this is why I bowed out last minute doing a set of TTX's for Mr. Inferno.

Somehow we gotta get additional useable compression travel in the car, for progress.[/QUOT

I can't imagine needing more than 2.5" of shock movement in either direction. The air dumps don't actually lower the ride height do they? Isn't it just to soften the ride? Springs set ride height correct?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Inferno, what part of this don't you understand.... do yourself a huge favor and disregard anything this clown who's a nobody and has done nothing, tells you.