DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    "Good Morning Drr" 11,000 strong and growing,stop in a say hello.
Page 1 ... 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 ... 785
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Good Morning Drr" 11,000 strong and growing,stop in a say hello.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
try changing out the battery have seen it twice over the years=-loose plate car will start fine but breaks up on launch

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 412 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Vetman it has 2 new this year Interstate batteries and a 100 amp alternator. When it would not run Sat we took my batteries out and put them in my friends car when 1 of his failed. So we had them out and put them back, gave all terminals a little brush stroke while we were at it. But thanks as I am open to all suggestions.

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Hey Fern,

I won't even venture a guess as to what could be wrong. You've been at this longer than me, albeit just 1 year, so I know you will figure it out.

I remember years back my boy and I did a fresh rebuild on our 402 BB. We put a complete new Excell ignition system on. We couldn't get the thing to fire. After foolin with it for hours we put the original spark plugs back in it fired right up. I threw the Excell crap in the trash. Ya never know. You Da Man

Posts: 4819 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Worked on it some yesterday, nothing. Got a Dr appointment at VA this afternoon But will work on it awhile this morning. Its there and maybe I'll find it

Posts: 6216 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Hawks
posted Hide Post
Good day guys hope I find you well Fern don’t fuss lol. I finally made it back been on the move a lot lately but I’m slowly getting back to some kind of regular stuff. Floyd I’m hungry.lol. Read back a little ways seen Chuck has checked in good to see you guys names y’all take care I’m right smack dab in the middle of my third nap today just woke up and thought wonder what the boys are doing on Drr. See y’all later. USA

Posts: 5080 | Location: Cana va. | Registered: December 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
It's about time you came back, Mike.
Remember, you started this thing and then abandoned us and went to fb.

Posts: 4819 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon, good to see everyone checking in. Been getting some rain here lately, but it would have to rain for a month to get us caught up with the drought we are in! Fern A lot Of racers out here I have trouble with the Crank sensor, Most are door cars too. That’s why I never changed from the original MSD distributor , But that hasn’t been trouble for either . A new rotors that MSD has been selling are not very good. I’ve been eating up the caps because of it.

Have a good evening everyone ! Dancing Cat

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Still not fixed. Talked to MSD but that wasn't much help. Mostly wanted me to change wiring that has been working for 10 years. Why would I change from a number 1 welding cable from the battery to the front lug to a number 10 wire when the box has number 12 from the factory? Oh well I'll keep trying. I wanted to either buy a new box or send this one in to be checked/fixed but they didn't seem to think that would do any good.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Fern,
I've got one of those MSD testers just sitting in the garage. It's yours if you want it.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Well for awhile I thought it was fixed after changing the crank trigger pickup. Sounded good in the garage so Sat hauled it to Darlington and it just didn't go. Burnout sounded good but when I hit it to go down the track it just fell flat. I am really fustrated with this. I mean the car ran perfect, parked it for an hour and it won't fall out of a tree. It just feels to me like its got a dead cylinder but they all check out good. Baffled.

Replace the box with a known good one. Been there done that. Mine were the 7AL -2 boxes and they tested good with MSD tester but boxes were bad. This sounds to me like a bad box.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Curly I think you are right---but I really expected better advice from MSD. Kind of treated me like I didn't know squat. I been doing this for 60+ years and know a little bit, but can always learn more.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curly I think you are right---but I really expected better advice from MSD. Kind of treated me like I didn't know squat. I been doing this for 60+ years and know a little bit, but can always learn more.

Several years ago MSD led me on a wild goose chase. They are useless! I had Hoosiers at the time and car went into severe tire shake at the hit. Broke transmission and several other things. After that I had intermittent ignition issues. I called MSD several times and they kept telling me if I tested it with the ignition tester and it tests good the box is good. They told me stuff like change crank trigger wire, plug wires, plugs, fuel system Blah, Blah, Blah. Wild goose chase. Car would run 5.06 wheels up and smooth, next pass 5.49 banging, popping and missing. Finally I changed out the box and that fixed it. I spent way too long on a wild goose chase because of them. I have had 2 more fail since then. Note mine are 7AL-2 but still sounds like your box.

Change your box. If MSD says your box is Good, change your Box. Kind of like if Government says you do not need a gun, you need a gun.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well I don't need any more guns as I already have far to many. But the example you describe is what I experienced. I have already changed everything but the box, everything. I have checked every ground and connection in the electronics. Nothing. Then they suggest doing it all over? I ordered a new box. Lets see if that works. Thanks for the reply Curly.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Fern
Got my fingers crossed. Who did you order the box from? How soon will you have it?
Hope this solves all your problems.
Sounds like you've done everything except jack up the radiator cap and roll a new car under it.
You Da Man

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Good evening everybody, I’ve gotten 3 inches of rain since last post. So I haven’t done much except watch the rainfall. Right now 73° 78% humidity I’m going to start raining again at nine tonight and rain all the way through 5 AM and then start up again tomorrow at noon. Yep Fern it’s the monsoon season, that’s why we don’t have any racing down here until the first week in September. Fern I hope your new box gets there soon that fixes your problem. I can’t race right now as I’ve been waiting for my new Mickey Thompson’s. I’ve had them on order since June 15 and still waiting. Just got a call yesterday saying it should be 10 or 12 more days .

You all have a great Sunday

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I don't need any more guns as I already have far to many. But the example you describe is what I experienced. I have already changed everything but the box, everything. I have checked every ground and connection in the electronics. Nothing. Then they suggest doing it all over? I ordered a new box. Lets see if that works. Thanks for the reply Curly.

Too many Guns? I am confused. How can that be? I do not understand. That is like having too much Money. Or too much Love. Or too much Horsepower. Lol.

I think the new box will fix your problem. Let us know.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You are right Curly. I have given a few away but still buy more. Don't shoot them much, just look at them. Some have never been shot. Box will come next week. Nick I know well the rain deal down there but I think you have a lot more now than 60-70 years ago when I lived there. I treasure my memories growing up in Tucson. Floyd I got it through Amazon, Same thing less money. They have become my friend as in so many cases their price is 1/2 of what I can get it for from the local chain stores.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Fern,
Wow! I never thought about Amazon for speed parts. I've always gone to Summit or Jegs. I'll have to check that out.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are right Curly. I have given a few away but still buy more. Don't shoot them much, just look at them. Some have never been shot. Box will come next week. Nick I know well the rain deal down there but I think you have a lot more now than 60-70 years ago when I lived there. I treasure my memories growing up in Tucson. Floyd I got it through Amazon, Same thing less money. They have become my friend as in so many cases their price is 1/2 of what I can get it for from the local chain stores.

Be careful, some have said there is Cheap Chinese Counterfeit MSD parts. Not sure how true that is is.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Curly you’re so right about the MSD stuff, those Chinese can fake anything I’ve been noticing on Facebook Honda generators going for $79 you know they’re not real !!!