New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BIG Leagues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i would say there are more rules at my local track on a saturday night than at a big leagues race that last a week.

i am with 1290. not saying nothing is taken by racers at nhra events but will say if it is found out you will probably be tossed not congratulated.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Definitely would be tossed and suspended just as you will be fouled and warned at a minimum for wheel turning when staging, I know because I witnessed it first hand at Indy.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If it says in the rule book you can't turn the wheel in the stage beam, you can't.

If it doesn't, you can legally.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Autostart is set according to the rules, to detect staging infractions.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
It states in the rule book your last movement must be in a forward motion. Not sideways or angle left to right or whatever games those clowns are playing.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
It states in the rule book your last movement must be in a forward motion. Not sideways or angle left to right or whatever games those clowns are playing.

Autostart is set to detect a change in physical location, in the beams. This is the definition of movement.

Words have meanings.

As a starter,you can't throw a guy out just because you see something you've never seen before, and you don't understand it. When autostart is there for the purpose of detecting starting line infractions.

Do I think turning the front wheel is cheezy?... Sometimes, but sometimes it's a idiocy deterrent.

Either way, what I think doesn't matter. Objective fact is what matters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the record the turn of the wheel is only to recognize location when it turns the bulb on by the tires laying over and then off when standing back straight. The final staging motion is achieved forward to turn it on completely. Nobody stages completely by turning the wheel. How this movement is interpreted prior to the final staging motion is up to you. The same function can be achieved with a solid bump forward and back.

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
quote:

For the record the turn of the wheel is only to recognize location when it turns the bulb on by the tires laying over and then off when standing back straight. The final staging motion is achieved forward to turn it on completely. Nobody stages completely by turning the wheel. How this movement is interpreted prior to the final staging motion is up to you. The same function can be achieved with a solid bump forward and back.

I know location is extremely critical. But that being said the majority of racers have no problem rolling forward until the second light comes on. But to each his or her own. I know I won’t get caught and timed out by it.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You’re delusional if you think that same stuff isn’t happening at nationals and divisionals.

I'm sure drinking is pretty common at both but one big difference here is NHRA has and still does "random" drug testing at their events. If you ever see this at a Big League race it will be the last one that promoter ever puts on because his next one will look like a ghost town.
Big League race promoters know this and that's why drug testing will never happen at these races.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
quote:

If that turn of the wheels triggers autostart, wouldn't that technically be the motion that caused your "staging motion"? It's irrelevant what was done by that driver at that point, the "final motion" that caused your stage light to come on and trigger autostart is the one that counts. Now, would the turn of the wheels be considered a forward motion? I really can't say, one front wheel went forward, one went backwards and the rears didn't move at all. That would be an interesting question.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Turning the wheels is not a forward movement. He should have been tossed the 1st time he did it. It is a very deceptive, unsportsman like, piece of s--t move. The flaw in the timing system should also be fixed.
Whether you are racing for an NHRA World Championship or $1M, that move has no place in a fair drag race.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the last motion must be forward, why do we have stage lock?

Posts: 528 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
didn't you guys know that avoiding and or doing the wheel flip is all part of running the gauntlet.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:

Mostly for turbo cars really. Rocking in the beams staging

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
An anti-christ figure has come onto the scene and taught the hook or by crook ways of the elite.

This is who to be aware of.

The great deceiver.

Everything else is childs play in comparison.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
Turning the wheels is not a forward movement. He should have been tossed the 1st time he did it. It is a very deceptive, unsportsman like, piece of s--t move. The flaw in the timing system should also be fixed.
Whether you are racing for an NHRA World Championship or $1M, that move has no place in a fair drag race.
His final movement is forward though…

Posts: 1266 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The movement the rule book mentions, is the same as autostart detects.

In the grand scheme of things, you're debating semantics discussing the turning of the wheel as movement.

Waste of energy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:

Completely disputable as both drivers have to opportunities to stage BUT CHOOSE not to. If you choose NOT to stage someone MAY turn the wheel on you and YOU WILL be staging shortly or be red.

Won't have this issue with me as I cant wait to race someone and will be staging as soon as I possibly can.

Best way to avoid someone turning the wheel on you is stage YOUR car when the top bulbs are lit. Its unsportsmanlike to everyone behind you to watch people refuse to stage their cars...pathetically waiting on one another.

JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:

To prevent angry shallow stagers whose car won't sit still in the beams from charging the tower demanding a re-run. Period.

Turbo Bobcat skid steer staging isn't really a thing at bracket races.

Put the M-F'er in the beams, you won't have a problem.
I've made over 3500 runs and never had an issue.
Never had to bump up my idle to get the car to set, never had to apply service brake to hold it, never had an issue.
But I don't win much....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1705 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:

Completely disputable as both drivers have to opportunities to stage BUT CHOOSE not to. If you choose NOT to stage someone MAY turn the wheel on you and YOU WILL be staging shortly or be red.

Won't have this issue with me as I cant wait to race someone and will be staging as soon as I possibly can.

Best way to avoid someone turning the wheel on you is stage YOUR car when the top bulbs are lit. Its unsportsmanlike to everyone behind you to watch people refuse to stage their cars...pathetically waiting on one another.

JMO

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is my take as well. If you aren't ready to stage, and don't want to be rushed, don't turn on the top bulb until you are ready. If two top bulbs are on, IMO it's time to stage the damn car. If you feel like you have to be last to stage every time, then you have set yourself up to be played with. Hell I drive a turbo car, and I know better than to have a staging routine that sets you up for failure. That's just dumb. Seems like both are willing participants in those deals. If you get tricked into timing out with this deal, it's your own fault and nobody else.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post