New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BIG Leagues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Retow I do know quite a few who big money racers and are successful at it without the performance enhancers. They are legit and well respected in the big leagues. You missed my point me and others are not interested and can do math. To each his own and more power to them. They hate their money worse than me. I was insulted by the fact that we don’t understand high pressure. You have told us time and time again how many track championships you have won. Good for you as I have won some as well. Trying to win that track championship to you was a high pressure situation because it was important to you. It was priceless to you. My world championship and multiple division championships are priceless to me. Big money racing is as important to some as track championships are to others. Pressure is pressure. I am glad those lucky few who win big $ win just as I am glad the local little league track champion is a winner.

Don’t degrade or insult me because I choose to do something different. I don’t insult those who choose to chase big checks that are split at 16 cars. To each his own.

Ep

Posts: 765 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure where this using drugs allegations come from, but seven winners of the original Million dollar race are locals who raced Sunshine for years and years, Bradenton too.

None of them are drug users, the majority don't even drink alcohol.

If you're gonna make those types of accusations on people who aren't here to defend themselves, name names, I'll do it for them. I know them all from Florida real well.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It is a known fact / running joke that the hottest big league racer in the country is a perpetual pot smoker. And it is a known fact some not all are adhd prescription drug users. It helps them focus they say. The pot calms their nerves in high pressure situations they say. It slows the race down they say. I hear it all. No everyone in attendance does not do these things but they do condone it. Please do misinterpret what I am saying. Not all and probably 99% don’t use illegal drugs. But it is funny how you hear of someone being so high they did not know what round it was but hey they are dealing with the pressure of the big leagues.

Ep

Posts: 765 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people interpreted Scott's post differently than he was trying to convey. I do not believe he was referencing "big leaguers" just that these high profile races are considered the upper echelon of bracket events. Anyone can attend any of these events, it is your decision whether to spend your money or not. I believe what he was saying is that the opinions of many on these boards that are being expressed are not the feelings seen on the actual premises of these events. Sorta similar to all these election polls that show one thing but once it comes to actual voting of the ones that it affects directly the results seem to be different.

Just my interpretation.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
It is a known fact / running joke that the hottest big league racer in the country is a perpetual pot smoker. And it is a known fact some not all are adhd prescription drug users. It helps them focus they say. The pot calms their nerves in high pressure situations they say. It slows the race down they say. I hear it all. No everyone in attendance does not do these things but they do condone it. Please do misinterpret what I am saying. Not all and probably 99% don’t use illegal drugs. But it is funny how you hear of someone being so high they did not know what round it was but hey they are dealing with the pressure of the big leagues.

Ep

Ep…knows

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ep

People say a lot of things to comfort themselves. I must not know the person.

I wouldn't put much stock in hearsay, much less repeat it in writing.

Everyone should know, only experience slows the race down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1 i would never drag any of my friends who have first hand knowledge of events at the big leagues in on anything i know, or have been told in a private conversation. i would not do that with even retow. and if you doubt anything i have said do your own investigation.

2 upper echelon is a matter of perspective is what i am trying to say. and that is all i am trying to say. someone running for 500k is just as important to them as it is retow winning his 72nd track championship at sunshine dragway in a 3200 pound car with triple chrome bumpers.

3 if you want to race big $ races have at it. but those who choose to do something different are no less passionate or invested in what they do. i love to see my friends do well at big league races, NHRA races and even local points races. winning is winning and investment is investment. a $50 entry may be as important to one man as a $2500 entry is to another. and pressure is perspective.

ep-i hope to be upper echelon some day

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 i would never drag any of my friends who have first hand knowledge of events at the big leagues in on anything i know, or have been told in a private conversation. i would not do that with even retow. and if you doubt anything i have said do your own investigation.

2 upper echelon is a matter of perspective is what i am trying to say. and that is all i am trying to say. someone running for 500k is just as important to them as it is retow winning his 72nd track championship at sunshine dragway in a 3200 pound car with triple chrome bumpers.

3 if you want to race big $ races have at it. but those who choose to do something different are no less passionate or invested in what they do. i love to see my friends do well at big league races, NHRA races and even local points races. winning is winning and investment is investment. a $50 entry may be as important to one man as a $2500 entry is to another. and pressure is perspective.

There you go. Things you do know about, first hand.

You ain't there to lose, no matter where you race.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Guys... sorry for the late reply and the early morning rousing post yesterday. It had just been on my mind the past month or so. I've had a pretty busy 3 plus weeks with my son getting married, out of town family, the OG Million, and Covid... hospital visit and all.

By now you ALL should understand it takes a lot for me to silence someone. So rule that out. I respect everyone's opinion, and also like to state mine from time to time.

Baseball is what I grew up doing pre race cars and a lot of it. I tend to reference things to that because I understand it. Hence "The Big Leagues". For those who know and those who don't about 11-12 hitters start seeing the "curve" or "breaking ball". This first time you do you swear the pitcher is cheating or worse yet trying to KILL you and you're ready to whooop his ass. Then you learn it's part of the game. Most don't know it, but the majority of players can't make the move to the "BIG LEAGUES" because they can't recognize or hit the breaking ball. It's part of the game at that level. Even more so than College or AAA. You can only get so far hitting the FAST BALL.

That being said my reference to the Big Leagues is just that. You have more things thrown at you than a local or smaller race. Why? Because these events are STACKED with World Champs, Multi Time World Champs, Million Dollar Winners, Highly Polished local level racers, Guys who are paid drivers and the list goes on an on of Who's Who and what they've done.

I by no means am saying those who don't attend or can't attend are any less of a level or caliper racer than those who do, I'm simply saying when the BIG SHOW comes to town it's 90% of guys who have staged up paying more than a house payment for an entry fee. Does this make them better? Does this make them a Big Leaguer? Well... when that's what they do on a regular basis I have to say yes.

Local level racing is a tough as it gets Period and I'd pit those guys against any traveler at their home track any day, BUT when the show travels and stakes increase to CRAZY amounts the pressure cooker is turned on.

I know there are racers who don't like the game. Hell all I use to do is NHRA race and now I don't like that game, so I don't participate. Do I think I could compete in that arena? YES. Do I think Ed or Pauley or anyone else could compete on a regular basis in The Big Leagues of Bracket Racing? Yes. If they chose to do so.

No offense ment, and no offense taken. Opinions are fine, I just thought I'd give you mine on what I see at ground level at the races I attend.

Oh and today's my BD... go easy on an old feller.

SL...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
and might i add. this conversation can go both ways. many of the upper echelon big league racers say that if you run a NHRA event you must be some kind of dumb azz. $300 entry to run one race over three days. what a joke.

so the echelon thinks those folks are just as stupid as some thinks the echelon big league racer is stupid.

we all have choices and race where and when we want. be thankful we still can

ep

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

There you go. Things you do know about, first hand.

You ain't there to lose, no matter where you race.

glad we can agree retow.

ep

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
and might i add. this conversation can go both ways. many of the upper echelon big league racers say that if you run a NHRA event you must be some kind of dumb azz. $300 entry to run one race over three days. what a joke.

so the echelon thinks those folks are just as stupid as some thinks the echelon big league racer is stupid.

we all have choices and race where and when we want. be thankful we still can

ep

There is no echelon. Echelon is contrived in your head.

People say a lot of things to comfort themselves, including big money racers.

Money isn't an echelon, there's plenty of stupid people with money to evidence it.

There is a hierarchy. In a true capitalist system, knowledge is at the top of the hierarchy, not money. But that's another conversation.

You said it before, no matter where you race, you ain't there to lose. Whoever wins the most is at the top of the hierarchy, regardless of money, if everything is on the up and up.

Knowledge

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
In a feudalistic system, echelon - rank is determined by money.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
Honestly This post says it all to me. Your so called big Leagues or your little click is like high school crap. You don't have enough money to be in our click (big leagues) So you go play with the other folks on the other side of the tracks.

I can tell you rite now. Just because someone can afford to race the big dollar races doesn't make them a better racer. They just have more money or better backing than most racers. The biggest difference is the Big Leagues has more shots to win it.

Attitudes like that is what's going to kill big dollar!!

We're going through another centralization period, just like 2008.

Last man standing wins, brought to you by the lefty's (both parties - neo-cons) who offshored this country economy to china.

Come on down to Florida, local racing will be good for at least three years.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
At the Memphis million last year a buddy of mine was paying his tab when one of the "big leaguers" was paying theirs and it was $19,000 I just can't wrap my brain around that.

sammy mathis

Posts: 67 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 60 falcon:
At the Memphis million last year a buddy of mine was paying his tab when one of the "big leaguers" was paying theirs and it was $19,000 I just can't wrap my brain around that.

Shake head

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
The big leagues are full of pot smokers, drug users and professional drinkers! Further, several of the biggest names, have NOTHING to show for their wins and late round exits because someone else is paying the tab and/or supplying the car and in some cases that’s the promoter.

That said, I’ve got the money, cars and my driver has the skills to compete in the big leagues yet I and others in the same position chose not to support certain promoters/events for all the reasons mentioned above in addition to the long rumored cheating that no promoter is doing anything about it and nobody wants to talk about that!
Which is at every race you attend to some extent….

Posts: 1262 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Guys... sorry for the late reply and the early morning rousing post yesterday. It had just been on my mind the past month or so. I've had a pretty busy 3 plus weeks with my son getting married, out of town family, the OG Million, and Covid... hospital visit and all.

By now you ALL should understand it takes a lot for me to silence someone. So rule that out. I respect everyone's opinion, and also like to state mine from time to time.

Baseball is what I grew up doing pre race cars and a lot of it. I tend to reference things to that because I understand it. Hence "The Big Leagues". For those who know and those who don't about 11-12 hitters start seeing the "curve" or "breaking ball". This first time you do you swear the pitcher is cheating or worse yet trying to KILL you and you're ready to whooop his ass. Then you learn it's part of the game. Most don't know it, but the majority of players can't make the move to the "BIG LEAGUES" because they can't recognize or hit the breaking ball. It's part of the game at that level. Even more so than College or AAA. You can only get so far hitting the FAST BALL.

That being said my reference to the Big Leagues is just that. You have more things thrown at you than a local or smaller race. Why? Because these events are STACKED with World Champs, Multi Time World Champs, Million Dollar Winners, Highly Polished local level racers, Guys who are paid drivers and the list goes on an on of Who's Who and what they've done.

I by no means am saying those who don't attend or can't attend are any less of a level or caliper racer than those who do, I'm simply saying when the BIG SHOW comes to town it's 90% of guys who have staged up paying more than a house payment for an entry fee. Does this make them better? Does this make them a Big Leaguer? Well... when that's what they do on a regular basis I have to say yes.

Local level racing is a tough as it gets Period and I'd pit those guys against any traveler at their home track any day, BUT when the show travels and stakes increase to CRAZY amounts the pressure cooker is turned on.

I know there are racers who don't like the game. Hell all I use to do is NHRA race and now I don't like that game, so I don't participate. Do I think I could compete in that arena? YES. Do I think Ed or Pauley or anyone else could compete on a regular basis in The Big Leagues of Bracket Racing? Yes. If they chose to do so.

No offense ment, and no offense taken. Opinions are fine, I just thought I'd give you mine on what I see at ground level at the races I attend.

Oh and today's my BD... go easy on an old feller.

SL...

Happy Birthday, Scott!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday brotha……

Posts: 1262 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Which is at every race you attend to some extent….

Not NHRA divisional and national events

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post