Find
Notify
Tools

The BIG Leagues
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
There's been a lot of b!tching and moaning, whining and critiquing of racers at Big Money events this year. Not exactly sure what has brought this on as it also seems as though it's by the onlooking racers more than anyone. I attend a lot of these events (fortunately) and I don't hear or see much of the complaining at the event level.

I've had my own run ins over the years and I'm sure I've done a few thing unintentionally and intentionally due to circumstances. Seen it all. Quick tree staging, bulb flickering, slow staging, hard dumping, ET Dial changing, gas ripp'n and the list goes on including a lot of BS mind games.

BUT... In my opinion, this is the BIG LEAGUES. Do I condone any of it? No, but do I hate on my fellow racers for trying to gain an edge on the biggest stage I feel racers like us can compete on? No, I've just had to sharpen my game to prepare for the things that happen in the other lane. This is the BIG LEAGUES and we are racing with the most innovative thinkers in the game.

We pay a LOT of money to compete in these events. There is a LOT of money on the line. Emotions are HIGH to say the least at these events and racers sometimes don't make the wisest of decisions when placed in a pressure cooker. But that being said, you better be ready for the gauntlet when the BIG SHOW rolls into town.

SL...

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What kind of purse would you be running for without LITTLE LEAGUERS in attendance?

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
What kind of purse would you be running for without LITTLE LEAGUERS in attendance?

It’s their choice to enter that arena, or not.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Makes you ask who is in charge in the "big leagues"?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The point is it ain't the BIG LEAGUES if half of the players are LITTLE LEAGUERS.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Whining about what? What are we talking about specifically here?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Biggest issue I have had with the so called big league races is if you don't make it down to 8 cars your pretty much just donating IMO. But then again if your not in it you can't win it either... You never know when it may be your day so if that's your thing you have to keep trying

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whining about what? What are we talking about specifically here?

Exactly… LETS HEAR IT !

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
The point is it ain't the BIG LEAGUES if half of the players are LITTLE LEAGUERS.

EXACTLY and far less than half! maybe 10% aka “big league” racers really have the skills and cars to get to the round of 16 and when the little leaguers finally wise up and or run out of money, then will see a lot less big leagues racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think he's saying, if you don't have the wherewithal - money to pay to get into the big leagues, you don't know how it is in the "pressure cooker", as only just an "onlooker".

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 60 falcon
posted Hide Post
What he's saying is all us little leaguers spent 22 pages talking about the actions of a big leaguer and unless we spend the money to buy our way into the big leagues then keep our opinions to ourselves Big Grin

sammy mathis

Posts: 67 | Location: iowa park, texas | Registered: October 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Whoever has the wherewithal - money for the most entry's wins.

Evidence for this idea comes from the fact you can be considered the best ever by so-called experts, and not have any statistics which point to you even being the best in your own neighborhood - home track.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 60 falcon:
What he's saying is all us little leaguers spent 22 pages talking about the actions of a big leaguer and unless we spend the money to buy our way into the big leagues then keep our opinions to ourselves Big Grin

I don't want to assume and let's not put words in his mouth.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He should be calling out cancel culture and the woke culture.

The cancel culture promotes cancelling individuals by running smear campaigns, ending their careers.

And the woke culture promotes boycotts of institutions.

Completion of anger management was a rational punishment made by the NHRA. It fit the crime.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
When you have a large group of racers that travel and race weekly for the majority of the year at big money races they will definitely have an advantage. And yes that makes them big league racers. Most people can't commit to that much racing in a year. If you can't afford these races maybe they aren't for you whoever you may be.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Walter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
When you have a large group of racers that travel and race weekly for the majority of the year at big money races they will definitely have an advantage. And yes that makes them big league racers. Most people can't commit to that much racing in a year. If you can't afford these races maybe they aren't for you whoever you may be.

Absolute truth here. The more you race, especially the same car, the better you get at going rounds.

Mark Walter, Senior Chaplain
JAMA Racing Ministry

"A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash." Proverbs 15:14
"Laus Deo!"

Posts: 299 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 60 falcon:

LOL! You nailed it for his 1st paragraph. clapping

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's the way I read it lol

Straightline Innovations - Performance Parts -Enclosed Trailer Screws

Posts: 64 | Location: Charlotte, Tn. | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The idiom the "big league" is derived from American baseball, where the major leagues are the highest professional field of play.

Now imagine showing up for a Major League baseball game with $5,000 to qualify yourself to play.

And the promoter of the game says to you, welcome to the "bigs".

Give me a break, words have meanings. Words are not just for promoting money making endeavors.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with your post but to me , it seems like unless you enter races paying more than say $250K we are not allowed to have an opinion.

If you only want the want the big leaguers to race, it will only be a five round race. Easy peasy.

I do notice that many " Big Leaguers" that used to post here no longer do.
I'm sure they lurk but dont post except for one that I can think of.

I just don't see what the reasoning behind your post. If you are trying to alienate your members/customers you might have done that.

I've never entered a race over $100K if it matters. I remember racing the first 50K races at Atco and Cecil in 90s/early 00s. I think Peter won both. Does that allow me to be an *******? Can I be grandfathered in?

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post