DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New build for 2023
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build for 2023
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
One thing I never got around to buying for the Malibu was a really good car cover. Now was the time. I contacted California Car Cover and they sent me a couple papers with drawings to take measurements of the non stock features of the car for them to custom make a car cover. They recommended the "Super Weave" material. Cover fits really nice especially considering all of the non stock body stuff like the 9" chin spoiler, front exit exhaust, 4" cowl hood, 15" rear wing and the parachute.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:

No alternator....why?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

No alternator....why?

Couple reasons. I had a 105 amp alternator on the Malibu and it never charged well at all at idle and low driving speeds. Regulator went bad and sent it to Mark Payne for repair. We discussed changing the pulley ratio in which I found a smaller alternator pulley to increase idle rpm but still be below the alternator max rpm.

Marginal improvement at best and after several runs it spit the belt off. Pulley was a tick narrower than the old one and the belt didn’t sit down in the v-groove as far as before.

Just gave up on it, felt it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Second reason is with the front exit headers there simply wasn’t room for a low mount alternator.

Being a round tube back half I knew the car would be nose heavy so I decided to simply add a second D1600 battery out back for more reserve power.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Couple reasons. I had a 105 amp alternator on the Malibu and it never charged well at all at idle and low driving speeds. Regulator went bad and sent it to Mark Payne for repair. We discussed changing the pulley ratio in which I found a smaller alternator pulley to increase idle rpm but still be below the alternator max rpm.

Marginal improvement at best and after several runs it spit the belt off. Pulley was a tick narrower than the old one and the belt didn’t sit down in the v-groove as far as before.

Just gave up on it, felt it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Second reason is with the front exit headers there simply wasn’t room for a low mount alternator.

Being a round tube back half I knew the car would be nose heavy so I decided to simply add a second D1600 battery out back for more reserve power.

I understand. Electric Pumps and fans draw much, even at 16v.

I never charge my 12v battery at the track using a 150 amp alternator, even if I need to run the fan and pump for 4 to 5 minutes with the engine off.

But if I do charge at home, I follow Holley instructions

Holley EFI Warning Notice
• Important Battery Charger Usage!
Most battery chargers do not provide "clean" power to the vehicle and can cause voltage spikes that damage the ECU.
This is especially true of most 16V battery chargers. Adhere to the following guidelines!
‒ Never use the "cranking" setting on a charger to start the engine.
Do not set a charger to a charge current over 10 amps.
Charge the battery sufficiently, before trying to start the engine.
‒ If using a 16V battery charger, do not turn on the ECU switched power, nor start the engine with the charger on.
Make sure the charger is not charging over 18.5 volts.
‒ If the battery has sat for a long time, or is known to be discharged, it's best to charge the battery with everything
DISCONNECTED from the battery, while the battery is being charged.

https://www.moroso.com/alterna...unting-kit-bbc63867/

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Rear shocks wouldn't compress to correct ride height with the original 80# spring I installed, so had to swap to a 70#.

With these Santhuff/Landrum springs, anything lighter than 80# and they go to a beehive design coil. Little larger through the middle, kinda close to the shock sensor bodies, but still enough clearance they shouldn't touch.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What length are those springs? Could you have used next shorter length spring in same weight?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
What length are those springs? Could you have used next shorter length spring in same weight?

These are 14” long. No, cannot use a shorter spring or the spring would nearly fall out when you let the rear hang. That’s not how you get the shock to sit at a shorter ride height like we do on radial cars.

We’re now using 9 or even 11” stroke shocks on Pro 275 radial cars and those will often use a 14 or even 16” spring but to get the shock compressed correctly they will use a second light rate spring called a take up spring so the main spring doesn’t flop around at full extension.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fabman,

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Decided I was tired of sockets falling off the extension and scratching/denting the wheel while tightening/removing the rear wheel lug nuts.

A couple companies offer these but decided to make my own. $16 in two sockets and an hour on the lathe, then welding.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'll take 2

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I'll take 2

Mike Trauth Motorsports out of Kentucky makes and sells these to the public. He can be found on Facebook.

He offers various lengths, socket sizes and 6 or 12 point.

I just made this one for myself, did not want to step on his toes by selling against him.

There’s enough is this copy crap going on in the fabrication industry, I don’t like it and won’t do it myself.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yours look better

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would take one as well.. lost mine at the airport security Frown

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
there's 2 orders now Big Grin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
X3

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will take one as well.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just made this one for myself, did not want to step on his toes by selling against him.

There’s enough is this copy crap going on in the fabrication industry, I don’t like it and won’t do it myself.

2BKING Like!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
there's 2 orders now Big Grin

Everything I've seen come out of that shop has impressed me!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely. Anyone contemplating a complete build must have a clear understanding of the cost to get from start to finish. Many project cars get abandoned and sold as the owner didn’t understand the scope of the project or the cost to see it to completion

A lot of people focus on one big ticket item like the engine and budget based on that. Then they realize they need a car, trailer, pickup truck..... money for gas. You know, the rest of it.

Posts: 192 | Location: ny | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Is the extension you made mild steel or stainless tubing or other?

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Is the extension you made mild steel or stainless tubing or other?
Chromoly tubing.