DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New build for 2023
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build for 2023
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:
Rife sensor block mounted to the transmission to monitor trans line pressure, converter charge pressure and trans fluid temp. Makes for a clean install.

Wise choice for sensors. The data acquisition in Holley Dominator/ HP ECU is excellent.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
When I was looking to swap the sv565 for the 2927 Super Victor, a good friend sent me this pic as a direct comparison. He went the opposite direction.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Carbon door bar protectors and carbon door panels.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Time to load up to drop the car off at the body shop. I needed some help with things like installing the moldings, installing the glass & trim, painting the wing, gluing the headlights in the front end, as well as help in figuring out why the power windows were binding a the top of the travel.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
While the body shop had the car I needed to take some time to close in the display hole in the dash as well as close in the notches in the sides for the x-bars. Carbon fiber layup/repair, not my favorite job for sure.

I sanded the outside of the dash, then had the body shop do a little body work on the outside to smooth out the repair areas, then paint with a textured paint to resemble the stock grained vinyl. We then had Chuck Buckler take the dash and do his thing with some air brushing.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
One more little fabrication project was to make a bolt on cowl cover.

Did I mention I hate bead rolling as I suck at it? lol

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
At this point the car was complete enough I could put it back on the scales to see what the car would weigh. This was with water & fuel, only things missing were my safety gear, window net & engine diaper.

Keep in mind these pics of the weights are with the car just bolted together. The scale pads haven't been leveled yet (I have scale pad level boxes), and the 4 link & anti-roll preload hasn't been set.

without driver...

with driver...

Keep in mind this thing has stock steel doors with power windows, stock steel hatch, OEM glass windows everywhere except the quarter windows, BBC/th400 and two batteries in the back to help offset the nose weight.

Looking forward to having roll up windows again, power a nice plus too.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! Impressive!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Why keep the stock configuration front suspension? Seems like a swap to a conventional style spindle mount strange strut would be a good match for the build.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Nice work. Why keep the stock configuration front suspension? Seems like a swap to a conventional style spindle mount strange strut would be a good match for the build.

When I first started the build the intention was to stay in the 8.50 index class I ran before which class rules required stock style bolt on suspension.

Only advantage to a tube front is weight. I already have the same basic spindle mount strut used on a full chassis car.

Oh and a little more room under the hood but I’m fine with how the setup came out.

I wouldn’t run a Strange strut anyway, this Santhuff is a much better piece.

Keeping stock style front suspension adds resale value IMO as it opens up what classes the car can be legal for. This is what is commonly referred to as a 3/4 chassis, SFI 25.2 spec.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fabman,

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One item I did not see on the car…. wheelie bars. Not needed??

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

All of the radial racing I've done over the years, wheelie bars are not legal. I've got the tuneup down to where the car leaves and doesn't need them. I had them for a very short time before I knew how to tune the suspension and power management and hated them. Always in the way when trying to work on the car.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

All of the radial racing I've done over the years, wheelie bars are not legal. I've got the tuneup down to where the car leaves and doesn't need them. I had them for a very short time before I knew how to tune the suspension and power management and hated them. Always in the way when trying to work on the car.

Was the rear neutral when weighing? Do you rear steer a car if needed?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Was the rear neutral when weighing? Do you rear steer a car if needed?

The rear was neutral hanging but had not been set with the driver weight. I haven’t even measured & plotter the 4 link yet. I designed the plot on the 4 link software when I built the car but haven’t measured the car to compare yet.

Rear steer is not used in a low Hp car like this.

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was looking to swap the sv565 for the 2927 Super Victor, a good friend sent me this pic as a direct comparison. He went the opposite direction.

WOW.. Never realized there was that much difference in intakes. We have the tall deck Super Victor on our 598, now I'm curious if the SV632 would be a better choice..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:All of the radial racing I've done over the years, wheelie bars are not legal. I've got the tuneup down to where the car leaves and doesn't need them. .

Is Traction Control allowed in any of those radial classes? What about in the no-prep stuff?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fabman:All of the radial racing I've done over the years, wheelie bars are not legal. I've got the tuneup down to where the car leaves and doesn't need them. .

Is Traction Control allowed in any of those radial classes? What about in the no-prep stuff?

I guess it depends on the specific class and rules. The 8.50 class I ran previously 80% of the cars ran on 10.5W slicks, I ran radials due to so many years of experience on them. The classes I run traction control isn’t legal but some of the heads up radial classes it is legal.

Traction control is used a lot in No Prep.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine does vinyl graphics and came up with the custom (but factory style) GT hood stripe to fit this Sunoco style cowl hood. IMO it's one of things that set off the look of the car and completes the factory GT clone package.