DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fluttering popping and cracking
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluttering popping and cracking
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem. The reluctor wheel and pickup in my msd dist were badly corroded and the gap was way off. Cheap parts to change

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
when it ain't the valve springs, ignition or fuel, it's the converter!

Good call. Now go put miracle grow on your chest and get them moobs up to a d cup for bikini season

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought he was a D cup already, oh no that's D bag sorry!

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I thought he was a D cup already, oh no that's D bag sorry!

Tim knows! clapping

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swingarm:
Had a similar problem. The reluctor wheel and pickup in my msd dist were badly corroded and the gap was way off. Cheap parts to change

Crank trigger I believe. No reluctor or pickup in distributor to worry about.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
:
For the record I only suggested converter because several other parts had been tried or replaced and its an easy part to try, convertors can do weird things.

as did I

But you pounded your chest about it. Like a BABOON. I’d call you a monkey’s A$$ but it would be too mean to the monkey.

FastLane Knows!! Laughing Hard

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2581 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky you are correct on the crank trigger.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Any chance you are running Mickey Thompson tires? Could be that if so.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Any chance you are running Mickey Thompson tires? Could be that if so.

With rim screws......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well as I thought the converter did not fix it. Still chasing my ass I quess.

I can't make you a guarantee, but if you go back and look at what I suggested, your issues might be fixed.

I ran into exactly as you are describing. 5 race cars and 30 years of racing.

Most rides do not segregate the shifters solenoid out of the wiring equation, and most don't know that the solenoid has the most draw in the entire electrical system. You don't have to feel an issue to actually have an issue with a shifter solenoid. You'd be surprised at what you might see on a time slip when you take the load off the ignition. I've witnessed gains shown on a time slip, yet not felt or even heard by the driver.

You can break/tax an ignition system a few ways, as each one is problematic. Sprag, stator tube, shifter solenoid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strange Magic,

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a belt driven pump.

Just spotted this above statement.

Bizarre occurrences with belt driven pumps and crank trigger wires. I've witnessed more then once, with msd crank trigger wires, pick up interference from the belt driven pump when the wires are run close to the pump. The reason why you'll never see msd transducers or wheels on any engine out of my shop, is because of the failure rate and issues. They ARE NOT shielded cables, where as other manufactures are. When the belt driven gears become magnetized, and they do at times, it's an issue. Wrapping tin foil around the crank trigger wires has proven at the race track during trouble shooting, to have worked. Re-routing also has helped. Never seen on an electric pump, but I have witnessed this on belt driven pumps.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strange Magic:

Most rides do not segregate the shifters solenoid out of the wiring equation, and most don't know that the solenoid has the most draw in the entire electrical system.

Agreed ...... exactly why you'll never see an electric shift on anything we build ..... air only.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strange Magic:
quote:
It is a belt driven pump.

Just spotted this above statement.

Bizarre occurrences with belt driven pumps and crank trigger wires. I've witnessed more then once, with msd crank trigger wires, pick up interference from the belt driven pump when the wires are run close to the pump. The reason why you'll never see msd transducers or wheels on any engine out of my shop, is because of the failure rate and issues. They ARE NOT shielded cables, where as other manufactures are. When the belt driven gears become magnetized, and they do at times, it's an issue. Wrapping tin foil around the crank trigger wires has proven at the race track during trouble shooting, to have worked. Re-routing also has helped. Never seen on an electric pump, but I have witnessed this on belt driven pumps.

You know Strange.....this would have been a great tip for me about two months ago!
I may have to look at that. Do Hall Effect sensors have the same issue with the pump belt at times?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Strange I’ll check into this. I guess I missed this in the read somewhere along the way.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had my first crank trigger go out this weekend....it had my racepak doing tricks....

Posts: 1264 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Corky
posted Hide Post
My bet is the belt driven pump is the culprit, as stated a few pages ago.
Smile
Hope it fixes it.

Corky

Posts: 338 | Location: Waynesville, Ohio | Registered: August 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is a pump from Ron’s injection. James Monroe told me that if I can turn it by hand it’s working. There is no restriction in the fuel system lines and I had 9 lbs pressure going down the track. I have lowered it back down also, that was to high I know before y’all at it. It’s all going into my friends car on Thursday night. If it does it in his cas we will change the fuel system over to him electric pump and try it again

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
This is a pump from Ron’s injection. James Monroe told me that if I can turn it by hand it’s working. There is no restriction in the fuel system lines and I had 9 lbs pressure going down the track. I have lowered it back down also, that was to high I know before y’all at it. It’s all going into my friends car on Thursday night. If it does it in his cas we will change the fuel system over to him electric pump and try it again

How far away from the crank trigger sensor / wiring is the Rons fuel pump?

Posts: 2484 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know Strange.....this would have been a great tip for me about two months ago!

I do understand it is tough to stay focused through most of these posts due to some azz clown who riddles each and every page like it's cancer, but if you got him on block, you'll be able to pick up some good tips. Shame on the moderator for allowing this window licking tard to be on every page of every single post herein drr.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would check the keyway on the crankshaft

Posts: 4 | Location: Johnstown | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post