DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fluttering popping and cracking
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluttering popping and cracking
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer632:
I would check the keyway on the crankshaft
I have seen that one time an it took forever to figure that one out...

Posts: 1263 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Strange it is right underneath the pump maybe 2” below it if that. And I understand what your saying but how could it have been fine for almost 2 years then just start this crap.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My crank trigger pickup is right on top of my Ron’s pump. The wires literally are lying on the pump. Mine is run with shielded cable however so maybe that’s the difference. Never had a problem.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5318 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
Strange it is right underneath the pump maybe 2” below it if that. And I understand what your saying but how could it have been fine for almost 2 years then just start this crap.

I believe what he is saying is he thinks the pump may have become magnetized causing the crank trigger pick up to get interference.
My pump is pretty close to the pick up and I have never had any issues for what that is worth.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that the pump has a plastic pulley........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
anyone following the advice no mind buying parts from that douchebag deserves the fucing that's coming their way.

The guy is a hack at best and the definition of a nobody!

This guy has ripped off and plain fuc'd numerous guys over the years who frankly were naive at best, clueless at worst buying his bullshyt.

He was never a competitive bracket racer with his used up POS 1500 lb. former comp car in NHRA division 1 and not one racer competing in the summit ET points series at any track in this division runs an engine built by this former floor sweeper at an engine shop 2 decades ago that has since been kicked out of every local engine shop and as far away as Rochester, NY

Go over to www.realoldspower.com and ask about this snake oil salesman or ask 434 olds here, his former best friend who he fuc'd too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
and not one racer competing in the summit ET points series at any track in this division

Edwad, what do you know about competing other than run the mouth eliminator

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being 2” away from spark plug wires won’t affect crank trigger pulses even if using the none shielded type connecting wires from MSD.

You’d stand a better chance of having interference if the cable was wrapped 360* around the electric water pump motor.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bender no plastic pulley on mine it’s aluminum.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bender no plastic pulley on mine it’s aluminum.

Ok. But that rules out any kind of magnetism with the pulley

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's not the pulley, it's the gears inside. Whenever you have a belt driven fuel pump, you should have a shielded cable. You shouldn't go near the pump with the msd cable. Most likely your issue is your shifter solenoid, as it re-energizes at the same shift rpm when passing that same rpm in high gear.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
just to help prove relavance i have seen exhaust sytems cause static in radios,and it can change.not sure that is the issue though.(pump gears that is)

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1416 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
My crank trigger pickup is right on top of my Ron’s pump. The wires literally are lying on the pump. Mine is run with shielded cable however so maybe that’s the difference. Never had a problem.

I use a shielded cable too, but there is 6" or so from the pickup that is unshielded.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the supposedly magnetized gears causing interference that was posted.

BUT, I will definitely agree with the possibility of the shifter (only an electric hi amp solenoid type, NOT spring loaded electric type) causing this issue, AND only if it’s being re-energized ON at the end of the run.

If the OP can post the MSD Ignition model being used (Never seen this), what type of shifter activation (electric or air) he is using and what is controlling the shifting, perhaps all of us could learn more.

I still go back to Shanes post on page 1 “ With no data, man you can throw a lot of parts and money at this and may never find it.” . This other data is knowing everything electrical in the car on this end of the forum.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Maybe he should try shifting on time....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is a three step used for the burnout? Had a button go bad a couple years ago and would cause random misfires down track. Took close to a year to find it without any data, every piece that involved shifting and ignition got replaced! A data logger would have saved lots of time and money!
Duane

Duane Allen

Posts: 29 | Location: Sandston VA | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again...

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Now he needs to look into the engine and based on the info that was recently shared with me by someone that had an engine built by his builder, I wouldn't be shocked to read there’s an issue with the motor.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have tried shifting on time also still did it. Msd 7 AL3 and the shifter is electric.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again...

quote:
Now he needs to look into the engine and based on the info that was recently shared with me by someone that had an engine built by his builder, I wouldn't be shocked to read there’s an issue with the motor.

Thought it was the converter, after all 6 experts all said so

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Just a thought I am putting out there, based on my experience with my own car that I have owned and raced 20 years. Go ahead and rewire it. Even if you change nothing but wires and terminals. I am in the middle of doing this for the third time in said 20 years. Every 8 to 10 years my car starts acting crazy getting inconsistent and twice rewire has fixed it after checking and changing springs carbs, ignitions, etc. Just a thought.

Interesting that this came up.
A few years ago I was fussing with/checking the wiring on my nitrous car (never ending it seemed) and a local seasoned stock car racer stopped by. He got around to mentioning that he changes out every wire, connector and switch every winter.

That got my attention and a why?
He said that once they caught on to doing this that they no longer had stupid, mind cramping stuff happening 3/4 of the way into their season.

I decided that for the relatively low cost of doing so that I did the same from then on.

Granted, a circle dirt car is likely way rougher on things than a drag car but it bears consideration.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 353 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post