DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fluttering popping and cracking
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluttering popping and cracking
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A buddy posted a video of him starting his dragster for the first time. Someone else noticed an arc that flashed from the cylinder head and down along the frame in the trans/ starter area. Looked like a lightning bolt of an arc. Engine started right up sounded fine. Injected running on primer plus. Maybe a bad ground or loose ground. The arc was no little 1 inch jump. It flashed across the diagonals at the mid plate area. Just pointing out how easy it is to have a crazy ground issue on a pipe rack. I have dedicated ground cable from frame lower frame rail to cylinder head, battery cable size not some little whimpy wire.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
It's a pipe rack. How hard can it be to change the convertor? Wanna try it in my car? Better have a LOT of time to waste. At times I wish I had a pipe rack!

Mike, I can R+R a convertor in my 3rd gen in under 2 hrs by myself. Buy a lift.

Takes me 1/2 hour to remove the full exhaust.

Then have to get the driveshaft out which is a PITA due to the diagonal link for the ladder bar rear.

Now for the wonderful trans lines.....

Lokar dipstick usually behaves.

Converter bolts ok.

Some of the trans bolts aren't bad. Some are......... Frown

Shifter linkage VERY close to the collector. Three inch would have been much easier than 3.5.

And I can't have a lift in my town.......

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:

Good to see you've graduated to just watching the circus ....... it's a much better place to be.

Smile

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do run a alternator, it has been unhooked and it made no differenc in it. I’ve ohm the wires for the crank trigger and the coil from the box all the way to both ends. I have replaced them also they weren’t bad but I said screw it might as well replace them there old.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a spare carb if I did I’d try it to.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Man I don't miss leaning over fenders and wrestling with trans under a car. I can change a trans between rounds if I am somewhat prepared with a spare. I may show up to the next round a little wet, but I show up!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Man I don't miss leaning over fenders and wrestling with trans under a car.

X100000000

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
I don’t have a spare carb if I did I’d try it to.

Surely someone has a carb you can borrow for a few passes?

Have you tried a different ignition box?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4036 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes have tried another ignition box. Will see tomorrow if the converter fixed it. If not at least I’ll find out what it runs with it on the first pass lol. I’ll try to find a carb to borrow also if needed

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I want to hear how this ends. And you can't have a lift in South River, NJ?

Posts: 16 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:
I want to hear how this ends. And you can't have a lift in South River, NJ?

Had a 10" thick concrete pad poured in front of my garage, then was told the lift has to be inside the garage. Well, too much stuff in there, no land to expand on, so a 4 ft scissor lift is all I can have since I can hide it, and Delaware/PA here I come!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well as I thought the converter did not fix it. Still chasing my ass I quess.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Have you changed the battery?

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 255 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
well at least you tried your spare. Did it make a full pass?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Welp!

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
and I still say it COULD be the converter if it ain't the valve springs, ignition or fuel and 4 other experienced racers agree you loser. Spitting

NahNahTounge

Razz

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Battery has been tried. And no it didn’t make a full pass

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
MSD wire harness come backwards sometime-ask me how I know Tip PC I also would look for broken rubber grommets going thru firewall frame etc. Hard to find i tiny strand of wire touching something. Man I wish you were not so far away. I have raced for over 35 yrs and I really think it is something easy. Just hard to find. I have been a mechanic for 37 yrs. and I have fixed some of the so called best mechanics jobs. Many on this site do really work on there own stuff and will try to steer you right but some are lets just say internet mechanics. Feel free to PM if you think I can help. I will try hard. Sorry your thread got filled up with stupid crap Frown

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not the converter no way!!! Your spare are must of been bad better try another one.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lol green1. Maybe I’ll borrow one lmao. Going to take it all apart again I guess nothing else to do. Turkey season does start here tomorrow, maybe I’ll just go hunting.