DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fluttering popping and cracking
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluttering popping and cracking
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that makes 4 now that state it could be the converter. clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Corky
posted Hide Post
When the OP stated changing out all of the MSD w/ exception of the distributor......is that cap and rotor/ wires/ plugs?
Was the box replaced? If it's a red 7al3...that'd be my first suspect part. Have had 2 go bad in past years.

Corky

Posts: 338 | Location: Waynesville, Ohio | Registered: August 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Borrow a msd 6 non digital and it is done Smile Corky knows Wink

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Rotor phasing?

Is this a crank trigger? I didn't see if the phasing had been checked if so.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is crank trigger and all that has been swapped out to, even rewired from box to the eye. What I don’t really understand is the 1st I make that day it’s fine then it starts the next pass and continues on each pass. Like it’s got to get heat soaked to do it

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check distributor cap button

Posts: 30 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: August 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
It is crank trigger and all that has been swapped out to, even rewired from box to the eye. What I don’t really understand is the 1st I make that day it’s fine then it starts the next pass and continues on each pass. Like it’s got to get heat soaked to do it

Then the rotor phase was checked? couple ways to do it easily.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes been checked

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm Back converter

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So change the trans and conv. Idk who who told you that you couldnt break there converter, all of them can break.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree when Shane said “With no data, man you can throw a lot of parts and money at this and may never find it”.

Even a Grid 7730 will show one the triggering In / Out pulses and rpm graphs to help decide if it’s ignition related.

If you replaced all the ignition components and related ignition wiring, it’s not ignition imho.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Shane:
So change the trans and conv. Idk who who told you that you couldnt break there converter, all of them can break.

Shane Carr

I think it was meant as humor. Maybe?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Change the axles too they can cause the engine to flutter, pop and crackle or maybe it's snap crackle and pop.....I forgit...

Just throwin a little humor in the mix....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Before I changed the convertor, I would check the elasticity of the throttle cable and make sure you not getting the Ed effect (Yo-Yo). You're Nuts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just curious what year this “rail” was built and maybe how old the wiring is?

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It’s a 02 Racetech that was converted to a swing arm car in 12. I don’t think the wiring was touched though

DRR Trophy
Picture of wvdragracer
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ed on this, I have had this happen & it WAS a converter each time years ago, the popping /cracking occurred & I did the same, Changed MSD, Carb, etc; all the above looking for a miss in the engine. After eliminating all that, we changed converter and it was fixed. Years later a friend was having this issue & doing the same ignition changes etc. I told him it appeared to be converter & sure enough, that fixed it. If the converter is broke & loads the engine and doesn't let it come up in rpms, it wont be happy. Its strange but can lead you to looking in the wrong areas to correct the problem. I even witnessed this issue in a mud bogger, & you would think the spinning in the mud would not show the symptoms but it was the same.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mannington WV | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that makes 5 now that state it could be the converter. clapping

Now who said...

"Fluttering, popping and missing is NOT the converter."

Loser clueless curly1

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
OK I’m going to change the converter and test it Friday night. I’ll report back and let y’all know if it fixed it. Been wanting to try my spare anyway so nows the time.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
being that you have installed new, replaced or checked everything else, you've got nothing to lose.