This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/6577008086

April 09, 2018, 11:32 AM
1320racer
Fluttering popping and cracking
that makes 4 now that state it could be the converter. clapping
April 09, 2018, 11:42 AM
Corky
When the OP stated changing out all of the MSD w/ exception of the distributor......is that cap and rotor/ wires/ plugs?
Was the box replaced? If it's a red 7al3...that'd be my first suspect part. Have had 2 go bad in past years.

Corky
April 09, 2018, 11:56 AM
Footloose
Borrow a msd 6 non digital and it is done Smile Corky knows Wink
April 09, 2018, 12:50 PM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Rotor phasing?

Is this a crank trigger? I didn't see if the phasing had been checked if so.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 09, 2018, 06:51 PM
jimmyc
It is crank trigger and all that has been swapped out to, even rewired from box to the eye. What I don’t really understand is the 1st I make that day it’s fine then it starts the next pass and continues on each pass. Like it’s got to get heat soaked to do it
April 09, 2018, 07:59 PM
joe Diry
Check distributor cap button
April 09, 2018, 09:18 PM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
It is crank trigger and all that has been swapped out to, even rewired from box to the eye. What I don’t really understand is the 1st I make that day it’s fine then it starts the next pass and continues on each pass. Like it’s got to get heat soaked to do it

Then the rotor phase was checked? couple ways to do it easily.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 10, 2018, 07:03 AM
jimmyc
Yes been checked
April 10, 2018, 07:15 AM
1320racer
I'm Back converter
April 10, 2018, 08:26 AM
Sugar Shane
So change the trans and conv. Idk who who told you that you couldnt break there converter, all of them can break.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"
April 10, 2018, 08:49 AM
markemark
I agree when Shane said “With no data, man you can throw a lot of parts and money at this and may never find it”.

Even a Grid 7730 will show one the triggering In / Out pulses and rpm graphs to help decide if it’s ignition related.

If you replaced all the ignition components and related ignition wiring, it’s not ignition imho.
April 10, 2018, 09:46 AM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Shane:
So change the trans and conv. Idk who who told you that you couldnt break there converter, all of them can break.

Shane Carr

I think it was meant as humor. Maybe?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 10, 2018, 10:04 AM
SCDIV1
Change the axles too they can cause the engine to flutter, pop and crackle or maybe it's snap crackle and pop.....I forgit...

Just throwin a little humor in the mix....
April 10, 2018, 10:16 AM
Roger McGinnis
Before I changed the convertor, I would check the elasticity of the throttle cable and make sure you not getting the Ed effect (Yo-Yo). You're Nuts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
April 10, 2018, 01:32 PM
Sugar Shane
Just curious what year this “rail” was built and maybe how old the wiring is?

"Sugar Shane"
April 10, 2018, 03:26 PM
jimmyc
It’s a 02 Racetech that was converted to a swing arm car in 12. I don’t think the wiring was touched though
April 10, 2018, 05:30 PM
wvdragracer
I have to agree with Ed on this, I have had this happen & it WAS a converter each time years ago, the popping /cracking occurred & I did the same, Changed MSD, Carb, etc; all the above looking for a miss in the engine. After eliminating all that, we changed converter and it was fixed. Years later a friend was having this issue & doing the same ignition changes etc. I told him it appeared to be converter & sure enough, that fixed it. If the converter is broke & loads the engine and doesn't let it come up in rpms, it wont be happy. Its strange but can lead you to looking in the wrong areas to correct the problem. I even witnessed this issue in a mud bogger, & you would think the spinning in the mud would not show the symptoms but it was the same.
April 10, 2018, 06:17 PM
1320racer
that makes 5 now that state it could be the converter. clapping

Now who said...

"Fluttering, popping and missing is NOT the converter."

Loser clueless curly1
April 10, 2018, 06:22 PM
jimmyc
OK I’m going to change the converter and test it Friday night. I’ll report back and let y’all know if it fixed it. Been wanting to try my spare anyway so nows the time.
April 10, 2018, 07:04 PM
1320racer
being that you have installed new, replaced or checked everything else, you've got nothing to lose.