DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What are you changing with your racing program this winter?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you changing with your racing program this winter?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
sold my great old car and bought a new one, SO alot of work to do this off season...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1523 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of looking for some reliability in our combinations. My son's car was pretty reliable for the most part. But it had a few things here and there that ended a race day earlier than we intended. I think we have that one sorted out. I will probably build the engine that is on the stand as a backup for his. It's cheap. All LS stuff in his car. Stock block and bottom end. Easy low 5's car that really doesn't seem to hurt stuff.

Mine I just want to be able to bring with and race every time we go to the race track. I was trying to go faster so I could get into the q16's. Well the local track eliminated all but one of the events for that, so it doesn't make any sense to push it now. If I can qualify for the one so be it. I have eliminated all suplimental fuel and will be running one set of injectors and just boosting enough to edge them into 80 percent duty cycle. Probably less in reality.

I underestimated how much shorter the race season is for us when my son misses the first and last part of it due to being at college. He's been having to hit it pretty hard at school and coming home for a race just isn't always realistic.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My plan is to finally get my truck out running some bracket stuff and S/ST. Been awhile for me there for sure and this thing has been a LONG time coming. Also taking my 64 apart for some paint and little engine changes. Maybe a more occasional S/C appearance as well.. Just cause.

Here is the truck

And the 64 Savoy, yes it is all steel yes it weighs 3644lbs and yes it can run the number Smile

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 992 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Sold the TD and done with the NHRA thing.
Going to give the local Saturday night index racing a try
A little project I am working on this winter

Steve LOVE the Lambo orange. We have done a couple cars that way awesome color. I decided to try something different with blue cars for some reason this time.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 992 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
My plan is to finally get my truck out running some bracket stuff and S/ST. Been awhile for me there for sure and this thing has been a LONG time coming. Also taking my 64 apart for some paint and little engine changes. Maybe a more occasional S/C appearance as well.. Just cause.

Here is the truck

And the 64 Savoy, yes it is all steel yes it weighs 3644lbs and yes it can run the number Smile

Not worthy Not worthy

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very nice Al!

Since I moved one mile to Atco 23+ years ago to be close to the track that closed it doors in the middle of the night, I kinda lost interest.
And the fact that Len Capone was a horrible track owner that kicked me out because of posting a picture of his poor management skills. I was banned by the ******* because he's an ass!

If I get the motivation, I'll go through the car thoroughly,make street friendly and add a Christmas tree air freshener!

I got $1000 worth of tires in contractor bags in the basement. No desire to race anymore though.

I made my first pass in 1985, and got kicked out because I wasn't 18 years old by the state police. That's when they dropped hand written time slips down a tube from the tower.

PS: Len Capone is an a55hole!

Best of luck to everyone else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've made several up-grades in the past two months.

(1) I replaced the AN-12 cooling fittings and lines with AN-16 fittings and lines. This significantly increased the water flow through the entire cooling system. In the past overheating on really hot days was a problem, not any more.

(2) I fabricated a polished aluminum tube grill that fits across the previously blunt fiberglass nose piece on my roadster. That allows external cool air to pass through the radiator also helping to cool the engine water.

(3) I fabricated and mounted a bracket for a 16 volt alternator under the drivers front side of the engine block. I also welded two tabs on the front of the frame to accomodate a 25 pound weight bar on the nose of the car. That in turn accomplishes three issues; first I don't have to rely on charging the battery between rounds. Secondly I needed additional nose weight on the car to help reduce the wheel stands without strickly relying on the wheelie bars. Third it added more weight to the left front corner of the car. That allowed me to reduce some of the pre-load in the four link. These simply weigh management changes, although increasing the overall weight actually made the car quicker.

(4) My next addition is going replace the lever style parachute release with a button activated CO2 system.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
What am I changing? I’m moving from footbrake to top bulb racing with my slow truck. I’ll stick an old Dedenbear RTD-7 in it and see what happens. In 20 years of footbraking I’ve averaged a 65% round win average but feel the itch to change things. Truck runs low 7s in the eighth - maybe the fast cars will be challenged to judge the closure rate. We’ll see.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allred:
What am I changing? I’m moving from footbrake to top bulb racing with my slow truck. I’ll stick an old Dedenbear RTD-7 in it and see what happens. In 20 years of footbraking I’ve averaged a 65% round win average but feel the itch to change things. Truck runs low 7s in the eighth - maybe the fast cars will be challenged to judge the closure rate. We’ll see.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Once I rewire a friends dragster and my other three cars are ready to go I'm going to rewire my Vega with the hopes of secure some more jobs. Canbus keypad/module in a custom aluminum enclosure, dial boards, grid, air compressor, new master disconnect system, removable delay box/long throw button and full working lights.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 471 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
Once I rewire a friends dragster and my other three cars are ready to go I'm going to rewire my Vega with the hopes of secure some more jobs. Canbus keypad/module in a custom aluminum enclosure, dial boards, grid, air compressor, new master disconnect system, removable delay box/long throw button and full working lights.

Sounds awesome. Love to see pictures

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m moving from footbrake to top bulb racing with my slow truck. I’ll stick an old Dedenbear RTD-7 in it and see what happens. Truck runs low 7s in the eighth - maybe the fast cars will be challenged to judge the closure rate.

I think that’s a good choice given you’re the slower vehicle the majority of the time in box. If you are the faster vehicle, many tracks will give you the normal tree if you indicate it on your dial in box. Then just block your opponents side of the tree if visable.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Steering wheel and t-brake button(s) are in play.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1676 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2435 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve, what outside diameter are those front tires? If 25” or 26” what do they measure for height off the car? Last time I purchased Hoosier 25" fronts they were only 24-3/8" tall off car... I was mad. I have 25" GY now and they leak worse than a MT.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Steve, what outside diameter are those front tires? If 25” or 26” what do they measure for height off the car? Last time I purchased Hoosier 25" fronts they were only 24-3/8" tall off car... I was mad. I have 25" GY now and they leak worse than a MT.

They are 25x5x15 and measure about 24.5 with 35psi in them and they hold air just fine

Posts: 2435 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Thanks Steve, this is helpful. I’m going to try 26” Hoosier next knowing this. I replace my fronts every 5 yrs even though they have tread on them. I watched a recent 1/8 mile bracket race where a racer had a front right tire failure after the finish line going 115 mph and rode the Jersey wall until stopped causing considerable damage. One could see what looked like the tire fail after finish line in the video.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm going to finally rewire my wagon if somebody doesn't buy it soon. I bought a Leash Electronics panel, a Leash Nitrous Relay Board and Racewire solutions switch panel last year and never got around to it building my new shop. Shop is almost complete, epoxying floor soon, so I can finally move into it. Add a nitrous kit, and change to a K&R with z-force to replace my old Ike shoebox. I just bought a 53 5-window to build as a street ride, so I may do none of it and work on my old truck.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
This thing looks interesting. Its not been approved by NHRA YET!

https://precisionreaction.com/

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 710 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
This thing looks interesting. Its not been approved by NHRA YET!

https://precisionreaction.com/

Interesting indeed!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3165 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post