New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Tech - Part 2
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
There have been countless lawsuits arising from racers who were injured or lost their lives at a track. In this litigious society we live in today, just about any injury can bring out in the open a myriad of attorneys just looking for reason to sue. Oftentimes they win and it sets a precedent for future claims. I question how an organization like the NHRA can allow for such a loophole to not enable proper tech inspection. But what do I know? I’m certainly not an attorney nor do I know the inner workings of the organization.

Read more at https://dragracingactiononline...12/no-tech-part-two/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Many years ago Bob Maxey and I were watching time runs at Atco, before scoreboards, when the friend I had come with crashed at the finish line. I ran the whole way and was the first to get there and he was out of the car on the ground dead. That quick. Seat belt was all that was required and back then they snapped into a loop at the floor---it looked to me like the snap portion had failed when the car rolled. They impounded the car and everyone started covering their a$$ as far as liability was concerned. At that time Atco had a pretty good tech and that car had passed it and was a well built car.

Posts: 6247 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Many years ago Bob Maxey and I were watching time runs at Atco, before scoreboards, when the friend I had come with crashed at the finish line. I ran the whole way and was the first to get there and he was out of the car on the ground dead. That quick. Seat belt was all that was required and back then they snapped into a loop at the floor---it looked to me like the snap portion had failed when the car rolled. They impounded the car and everyone started covering their a$$ as far as liability was concerned. At that time Atco had a pretty good tech and that car had passed it and was a well built car.

That is kind of thing I was referring to in my other post. We have a BS two year rule on seat belts but often the installation is a problem.
Have seen them bolted to a unibody type floor pan, up too high on back belt or going through sharp seats or panels.

The litigious Society we live in dictates much of everything today.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
JFC, If you can’t afford to have your belts recerted every 2 years, you have no business staging your car!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Who said anything about the money involved?
Well, besides you I mean.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s always about money especially with broke dyck racers

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don’t care how many pieces of paper they have you sign, or how much tech they do… at the end of the day the track is unfortunately still on the hook for the same lawsuits

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, you can’t sign away your ability to sue for negligence and damages. Joe Sway was found liable for millions in damages.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
It’s always about money especially with broke dyck racers

FUC that...It just irritates me removing/replacing the damn things when there's obviously nothing wrong with them...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
then park your shyt, problem solved

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
OR.......you could mind your own fuc'n business.

For once.

Dave

F J B

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
safety is my fuc'n business and if you chose to ignore the rules and regulations set forth by the NHRA, I'll make sure to inform the track manager, promoter and the NHRA.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Thanks for the laugh today. I know safety is important but when is the last Big money race you have attended. Tech inspection and rules goes right out the window as there is no tech inspections. Dragster guys refusing to wear neck collars or not hooking up the hans device straps and then cutting the thumbs out of gloves so they can feel the trans button better is standard practice. Seen guys take all the padding out of the neck brace so they can say they were wearing it. Seen fast door car drivers with shorts on and a fire jacket. NHRA nor IHRA cares as big money races are considered a private event and have their own set of rules.. All that tiny fine print at bottom of the flier no one reads..

You would have to turn in 90% of the dragster racers.. But then again who would listen as most of the time the promoters don't care as the safety part falls on the track and the track says the promoter does not want to chase people away. Its all about the $$$ even after you warn the racer to have his safety equipment on the promoter says to leave alone as this person runs with this group and if he leaves so will a bunch of other and never come to the event again.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John DiBartolomeo:
There have been countless lawsuits arising from racers who were injured or lost their lives at a track. In this litigious society we live in today, just about any injury can bring out in the open a myriad of attorneys just looking for reason to sue. Oftentimes they win and it sets a precedent for future claims. I question how an organization like the NHRA can allow for such a loophole to not enable proper tech inspection. But what do I know? I’m certainly not an attorney nor do I know the inner workings of the organization.

Read more at https://dragracingactiononline...12/no-tech-part-two/

There are times when it isn't even the racer or family bringing the suit. Their insurance companies who are paying the medical bills often will see that there is another entity involved and will try to share the burden or shift it to them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6441 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turk:
Ed,

Thanks for the laugh today. I know safety is important but when is the last Big money race you have attended. Tech inspection and rules goes right out the window as there is no tech inspections. Dragster guys refusing to wear neck collars or not hooking up the hans device straps and then cutting the thumbs out of gloves so they can feel the trans button better is standard practice. Seen guys take all the padding out of the neck brace so they can say they were wearing it. Seen fast door car drivers with shorts on and a fire jacket. NHRA nor IHRA cares as big money races are considered a private event and have their own set of rules.. All that tiny fine print at bottom of the flier no one reads..

You would have to turn in 90% of the dragster racers.. But then again who would listen as most of the time the promoters don't care as the safety part falls on the track and the track says the promoter does not want to chase people away. Its all about the $$$ even after you warn the racer to have his safety equipment on the promoter says to leave alone as this person runs with this group and if he leaves so will a bunch of other and never come to the event again.

Agree and that’s why I will not support certain promoters and their races.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So your car never stages next to a car with anything out of cert?

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not at an NHRA Divisional or National event. if I know about it the NHRA will know about it! Rules are for everyone and I nor the NHRA cares about whether you agree with them nor whether your broke dyck has the coin to comply.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't appreciate your insults. I was nearly pointing out that nobody ever knows if all cars were checked. You have raced at plenty of metal guardrail non seat belt enforcing tracks I am aure.....do I think it's important HELL YEAH!! I race at place that belts are rarely if ever checked. Weren't even checked at BF. BUT I BOUGHT NEW ONES ANYWAY. Since it is impossible to have a reasonable debate with you without your ignorance shining through. Carry on.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
The 2-3 year certs are a money grab for the manufacturer.

Factory seat belts have a UV coating on them so they last the lifetime of the vehicle. The seat belts having to be replaced every 2 years, you can thank Bill Simpson for that one. He refused to put the UV coating in the belts because he would only sell one set per car.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We are far safer due to Bill Simpson and Without his innovation many more racers in all forms of Motorsports would be dead, paralyzed, seriously injured and burned. Thank you Bill Simpson for all that you did for driver safety in Motorsports. clapping Not worthy USA

quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I don't appreciate your insults. I was nearly pointing out that nobody ever knows if all cars were checked. You have raced at plenty of metal guardrail non seat belt enforcing tracks I am aure.....do I think it's important HELL YEAH!! I race at place that belts are rarely if ever checked. Weren't even checked at BF. BUT I BOUGHT NEW ONES ANYWAY. Since it is impossible to have a reasonable debate with you without your ignorance shining through. Carry on.

You asked sarcastically and I replied appropriately. now what part of the truth and the facts don’t you like?

Further it’s been 12 years since I have raced on a track with Armco guard rails and will not ever again.