New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Tech - Part 2
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have several tracks around us that don't tech cars at all, and most of the racers that run those bad mouth the nicest facility we have around us because they go by NHRA rules. I have just always thought it was funny that a person can afford to have a $20,000 plus racecar, but can't afford a $200 NHRA license (that is nothing but paperwork for a racer now that physical is not required) and $150 every couple years on belts! Heck jackets and pants last many years and helmets too! I'm a broke dyck budget racer and can still afford to keep my stuff up to date no problem!

Posts: 153 | Location: St.Louis | Registered: May 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not to start ****, but wasn't there an incedence at Bradenton this past weekend. I didn't see the round but heard the annoncers talking about it. It sounded like he/she wasn't wearing gloves at got bounced because of it. Could have sworn that they said the car was on fire the day before as well.

I've seen utube videos from BMP of cars going faster than they should yet they let them run.

Discuss.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

The 2" seat belts are now safer due to how they interact with the body (hips specifically) and the ability to work with HANS devices better. Years ago when the webbing was the weakest link they went to a three inch wide belt. Nowadays the webbing is much stronger yet the pundits at SFI and NHRA don't have a clue.

I think those are 7-point restraint systems.

we have 7 way harness in our dragster and the only 2" wide sections are the crotch strap and the 2 extra leg belts ..

Posts: 787 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
It’s always about money especially with broke dyck racers

FUC that...It just irritates me removing/replacing the damn things when there's obviously nothing wrong with them...

And there is the problem. There obviously IS something wrong with them. I had to educated as well.

Question: Which is harder on seat belts.......A door car vs. an open wheel car. The killer for seat belts is UV rays. It weakens the threads over time. It is not the fabric that fails, but the threading that holds it together. It's just not that expensive. If you buy the right product (for example.....RCI Platinum belts), you get a free recert after two years.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents:

I firmly believe that in 2022 there will be a tremendous drop in NHRA membership and chassis certifications, especially in California. I also believe that the two year "Seat belt" inspection rule has to be eliminated or minimally extended to four year inspections. The chassis cert rule is also nothing more than an income stream for the NHRA, I don't see it adding any positive value/impact on safety.

Fuel Racers are going to have a tough time funding their purse structure due to the drop in National Event Sportsman attendance coupled with the National Covid mandates. Imagine 90 plus degrees temperatures and you are forced to wear a face mask in public all day, come on, get real!

What happens when Lucas Oil drops their LODRS sponsorship? Auto Club is gone and Lucas Oil is soon to follow.

Flame away, but that's my absolute feeling.

Bob

Posts: 3156 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How often does the Navy replace seat belts in an F18 fighter? Just curious.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:

I'm retired Air Force 26 years & currently work for a defense contractor. My primary air frame is the HH-60 Blackhawk but work on other air frames also to include the F-16. I really didn't want to get involved with the different criteria for harnesses.

In my opinion the NHRA 2 year replacement isn't needed.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

I'm retired Air Force 26 years & currently work for a defense contractor. My primary air frame is the HH-60 Blackhawk but work on other air frames also to include the F-16. I really didn't want to get involved with the different criteria for harnesses.

Knew you would know!

I am hearing only if they are damaged or worn. Cargo nets do have a service life.
That said, three to four would be fine to cover Ins requirements and I am pretty sure they make the rules also.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Knew you would know!

I am hearing only if they are damaged or worn. Cargo nets do have a service life.
That said, three to four would be fine to cover Ins requirements and I am pretty sure they make the rules also.

I would have to check the Technical Order (T.O.) but I'm sure the belt time change is 10 years. Before that if they were damaged, worn or didn't meet T.O. data; this applies before 10 year time change also.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
So you send seat belts back for recert, does that somehow improve the material or is it the same but with a new cert tag?

Posts: 6247 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
It is purely a money grab / extortion.
If passenger car belts that are exposed to sun and UV light every day, are perfectly safe for years, (if not decades), race harnesses that spend 90% or more of their days inside a trailer or shop are/should be fine for at least 5 years. (Or they aren't made as well as the should be).
And you can BET that if passenger car belts degraded significantly after 2 years, NHTSA and the ambulance-chasing lawyers would have auto manufacturers recommending periodic replacement, (if not mandating it).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1077 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nichols:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
It’s always about money especially with broke dyck racers

FUC that...It just irritates me removing/replacing the damn things when there's obviously nothing wrong with them...

And there is the problem. There obviously IS something wrong with them. I had to educated as well.

Question: Which is harder on seat belts.......A door car vs. an open wheel car. The killer for seat belts is UV rays. It weakens the threads over time. It is not the fabric that fails, but the threading that holds it together. It's just not that expensive. If you buy the right product (for example.....RCI Platinum belts), you get a free recert after two years.
Absurd! You mean to tell me they can't use or create threading resistant to UV rays? Absurd!

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My opinion is the seatbelts deal is nothing but a money grab /NHRA kickback.

I think it should be 10 years or any obvious wear and tear or crash.

Still they are not going to change the rule so we just keep changing the belts.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
So you send seat belts back for recert, does that somehow improve the material or is it the same but with a new cert tag?

Every set I have ever sent for resert has come back with new webbing, sometimes they have came back with new hardware too

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every set I have ever sent for resert has come back with new webbing, sometimes they have came back with new hardware too

Speaking of belt recerts,i sent mine back in october and they still havent got them done yet!!

Posts: 1433 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

Speaking of belt recerts,i sent mine back in october and they still havent got them done yet!!

You need to find a new belt company then...

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
My opinion is the seatbelts deal is nothing but a money grab /NHRA kickback.

I think it should be 10 years or any obvious wear and tear or crash.

Your opinion is just that and means nothing to anyone, least of which the NHRA. Further no one cares what you think either.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
JFC, If you can’t afford to have your belts recerted every 2 years, you have no business staging your car!

"Your opinion is just that and means nothing to anyone, least of which the NHRA. Further no one cares what you think either." Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Loser Imakehp...a former balancing hack that don't make shyt and don't contribute nothing to this forum.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loser1320racer: Imakehp...a former balancing hack that don't make shyt and don't contribute nothing to this forum.

"Your opinion is just that and means nothing to anyone, least of which the NHRA. Further no one cares what you think either." Laughing very hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post