Notify
Tools

No Tech - Part 2
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
My opinion is the seatbelts deal is nothing but a money grab /NHRA kickback.

I think it should be 10 years or any obvious wear and tear or crash.

Still they are not going to change the rule so we just keep changing the belts.

Yep -- I have a car right now with brand new pro 1 belts in it. Its sat in the corner for 2 years, and will sit out until next season. Why are the belts unusable due to the tag being expired? They've literally never been clipped together....

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The more I read about this subject the more I am compelled to make a comment about the "Two Year" safety belt inspection issue.

As I understand it, the NHRA's reasoning/position for rectifying safety belts every other year is due to the amount of time the car sits exposed to the sun. Their position is that the sun is responsible for the deterioration of the belts so therefore they should be re-belted and re-certified every two years. As I think about it it certainly does reduce my confidence in the quality of the material, and for that matter the belt.

While I appreciate the income these inspections create for the Manufacturer's it bothers me that the material lasts for such a brief period while exposed to the elements. I, for one store my car (a roadster) in a trailer and out of the sun for about 98% of the year. For the life of me I can't find any benefit in requiring them to be re-built every two years.

I believe that I represent the vast majority of drag racers, this is simply an income stream and in reality not a safety benefit.

It's time for the NHRA to make a change.

Bob

Posts: 3124 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
5-year, or 10-year belts will be priced accordingly by the remaining manufacturers.

You ever think it might be connected to the safety equipment manufacturer's liability insurance coverage?

The way y'all are carrying on, I can't figure out why one of you doesn't start a sanctioning body, or a seat belt company. Make $$$$.

Do we really want to die for a $150 hill folks? Roll Eyes

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1724 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was a tech inspector for years for my local track and nhra Div2. I held both bronze then later a silver sfi certificate. That said some of you would probably be surprised at how bad some peoples belts really are. A lot of the less than two years old. I don’t even want to talk about some of the mountings and hardware used. Just say I saw a LOT of sketchy stuff done in building a lot of cars. Some of which at first glance you would think is a nice well built car.

Posts: 509 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:

Yep -- I have a car right now with brand new pro 1 belts in it. Its sat in the corner for 2 years, and will sit out until next season. Why are the belts unusable due to the tag being expired? They've literally never been clipped together....

Send them back to Jeff, and they will recert them.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KWig:
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:

Send them back to Jeff, and they will recert them.

I agree there Jeff will take good care of you. with that said he did not make the NHRA rules. I do not care what anyone says I think the seatbelt rule is a NHRA kickback money grab.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4129 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Does the IHRA get the same kickback? They have the same rule and more tracks.

Posts: 1497 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've sold several 2 year old sets to roundy round guys that would use them for a couple more years. And why is it that I could race my car with original stock seat and 30 year old belts but as soon as I put a race seat in I have to buy belts that are only good for 2 years ?

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I've sold several 2 year old sets to roundy round guys that would use them for a couple more years. And why is it that I could race my car with original stock seat and 30 year old belts but as soon as I put a race seat in I have to buy belts that are only good for 2 years ?

$$$

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4324 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
The money we spend on these cars are we really *****ing about seat belts? Lmfao....

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1406 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
only the broke dycks!

Happy New Year Brian

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Like the broke dycks that buy offshore cars to save money.... Full Moon

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4496 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
The money we spend on these cars are we really *****ing about seat belts? Lmfao....

I get what you are saying. But where does that argument end? You can use that on literally every part on the race car, particularly safety parts. Should we replace the belts annually? Why not? The cost is small compared to the rest of the car right?

I am kinda torn about the tech thing. On one hand, we can't have a slew of deaths in our sport, and not expect it to impact our tracks and our costs. It will. So we can't let anything go. And we also can't let things go that would impact the car in the other lane. But focusing on the things that pay the biggest dividends seems like it would be practical. Are the belts in good shape and being worn correctly? (I knew a fella who perished in a crash he should have certainly survived, because he wore his belts loose.) Is the chassis in solid condition overall? Is there an oil containment device? Is the helmet appropriate? Is the car built to avoid fires and is the driver afforded some protection if a fire happens? And will the balancer or flywheel injure an onlooker?
Hit the peaks and be done with it. Maybe an annual tech that is done by someone who can tech them for regional tracks?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
only the broke dycks!

Happy New Year Brian

You got that right...lol

Happy New Year Ed

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1406 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

I get what you are saying. But where does that argument end? You can use that on literally every part on the race car, particularly safety parts. Should we replace the belts annually? Why not? The cost is small compared to the rest of the car right?

I am kinda torn about the tech thing. On one hand, we can't have a slew of deaths in our sport, and not expect it to impact our tracks and our costs. It will. So we can't let anything go. And we also can't let things go that would impact the car in the other lane. But focusing on the things that pay the biggest dividends seems like it would be practical. Are the belts in good shape and being worn correctly? (I knew a fella who perished in a crash he should have certainly survived, because he wore his belts loose.) Is the chassis in solid condition overall? Is there an oil containment device? Is the helmet appropriate? Is the car built to avoid fires and is the driver afforded some protection if a fire happens? And will the balancer or flywheel injure an onlooker?
Hit the peaks and be done with it. Maybe an annual tech that is done by someone who can tech them for regional tracks?

Morons will always be part of life and racing is included... You can watch videos on youtube on countless accounts making passes without proper saftey gear... **** a guy that use to post here a ton his son has a no prep s-10. Last week throttle hung in testing. No fire suit no gloves.. Truck runs low 5's in the 1/8 could of been real bad if 1 thing goes bad... But its on his youtube account for the world to see. I dont want anyone to get hurt especially if a few hundred bucks of gear would of saved you. Just stupid we have all seen **** go bad at the track and it happens way to fast. You can't fix stupid ,but i will keep buying belts and gear they want me to so i can race. I would love to see a year long tech sticker from nhra and ihra that lasts the year..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't fix stupid ,but i will keep buying belts and gear they want me to so i can race.

Nope and the lanes where ever you race are full of STUPID. So will I and new Simpson belts will be ordered soon for the 2022 season.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I send mine back to Crowe every 2 years. I still have the set recerted last year sitting in the seat. We haven't been out so I haven't installed them yet. The way it's going I might just install them when I sell the truck. It's either quit racing or move to another state. Commiefornia is shutting us out. Only good thing is what we have doesn't depreciate.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How much good does a new belt do when the driver is half hanging out of the cage at the finish line? I notice on the New Year Nationals coverage there is no finish line camera.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Just my two cents:

I firmly believe that in 2022 there will be a tremendous drop in NHRA membership and chassis certifications, especially in California. I also believe that the two year "Seat belt" inspection rule has to be eliminated or minimally extended to four year inspections. The chassis cert rule is also nothing more than an income stream for the NHRA, I don't see it adding any positive value/impact on safety.

Fuel Racers are going to have a tough time funding their purse structure due to the drop in National Event Sportsman attendance coupled with the National Covid mandates. Imagine 90 plus degrees temperatures and you are forced to wear a face mask in public all day, come on, get real!

What happens when Lucas Oil drops their LODRS sponsorship? Auto Club is gone and Lucas Oil is soon to follow.

Flame away, but that's my absolute feeling.

Bob
After 20 years of membership, I did not renew mine last year. All the tracks I race at are either IHRA of Independents. NHRA sucks so much money out of you with a license/membership I just couldn't bring myself to renew it. IHRA has such a better bracket program.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Just my two cents:

I firmly believe that in 2022 there will be a tremendous drop in NHRA membership and chassis certifications, especially in California. I also believe that the two year "Seat belt" inspection rule has to be eliminated or minimally extended to four year inspections. The chassis cert rule is also nothing more than an income stream for the NHRA, I don't see it adding any positive value/impact on safety.

Fuel Racers are going to have a tough time funding their purse structure due to the drop in National Event Sportsman attendance coupled with the National Covid mandates. Imagine 90 plus degrees temperatures and you are forced to wear a face mask in public all day, come on, get real!

What happens when Lucas Oil drops their LODRS sponsorship? Auto Club is gone and Lucas Oil is soon to follow.

Flame away, but that's my absolute feeling.

Bob
After 20 years of membership, I did not renew mine last year. All the tracks I race at are either IHRA of Independents. NHRA sucks so much money out of you with a license/membership I just couldn't bring myself to renew it. IHRA has such a better bracket program.

I've been an NHRA license holder since 1998 and never once have I been asked to show it. I have never ran a National event, so I cannot speak to that portion, but I have ran several divisionals.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post