DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Fontana Dragstrip Closed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fontana Dragstrip Closed
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bakersfield double divisional will be October 13-16

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Bakersfield double divisional will be October 13-16

Well Hello Mike! Hope you and family are well. Good to hear from you. See you there sir.
I never gave up Mike! I said it here and on Classracer , we needed Bakersfield and I hope they need us. I hope they make out money wise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4510 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7110:
Race tracks don't jive too well with Communist utopia progress. I find it nothing short of miraculous that two National events were run at Pomona this year. How much longer can that last?

It’s not a political issue. I’ve seen many tracks go out of business in Fla. the polar opposite of California, as far as political ambitions.
It’s more about urban growth and land value. Same concept that’s decreasing farming too.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
SO I see that Sonoma got axed again for divisonal racing. Nice to see Famosa is in the ix but hate to see Sonoma gone.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
It’s not a political issue. It’s more about urban growth and land value. Same concept that’s decreasing farming too.

This^^^

the most diehard track owner who's killing it at the gate will sell his track or sign a long term lease for other use in a NY minute if the right offer is presented.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is so very true. Land is getting out of sight for cost. If the location is right, the offer will be too, its a no brainer.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
SO I see that Sonoma got axed again for divisonal racing. Nice to see Famosa is in the ix but hate to see Sonoma gone.

Yeah I took the bait.
Nobody is happy that a Centrally located, state of the art Facility is not having a Divisional race for the Second year in a row!
I think as a dues paying association member we are owed an explanation as to why.

We have supported that facility since the early 70’s!

Hats off to Bakersfield staff and NHRA for getting us a double there. All is not a loss. I’ll take my racing there.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4510 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
With NHRA charging the tracks a fee for the privilege of holding a divisional race, I am sure that is part of the problem, tracks are just not making enough if any money on them with a minimal if any amount of people in the stands. A track as big as Sonoma cost a lot of money to just open the gates also plays a part.

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
With NHRA charging the tracks a fee for the privilege of holding a divisional race, I am sure that is part of the problem, tracks are just not making enough if any money on them with a minimal if any amount of people in the stands. A track as big as Sonoma cost a lot of money to just open the gates also plays a part.

I realize that but it’s a hard pill to swallow. Do we wait till this all blows over or will it?
Do we put this all on covid?

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
NHRA charges tracks a lot to host their races

My local small track tried having the NHRA Open Series races quite a long time ago

The track I believe had to sign a 3 year deal and it was $15 grand ? That amount I don't know exactly but its a lot for a little track to pay just to host an event

No way they could fit the NHRA crowd and their rigs in there and some spectators and the track has a short shutoff so many people would not go there and didn't

They probably lost their shirt on that deal and it had to be nearly 20 years ago already

It might have worked running 1/8th mile but the track had to many negatives going against it

They are still open and really doing pretty well considering the times we're in

Location is not desirable for much of anything else......Can't really build anything there due to flooding and being in a wetlands flood plane area.

Sod Farms and open farm land right next door and the surrounding area...

I Made my first ever run down that track well over 50 years ago !! Ran there once last year.......

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

I realize that but it’s a hard pill to swallow. Do we wait till this all blows over or will it?

Do we put this all on covid?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
It's all on the NHRA bean counters. They can't see anything but dollar signs.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post