DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tree Sensing Devices - The New Hot Topic
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree Sensing Devices - The New Hot Topic
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just saying the ARC module is not by far a magic box I guess. There are products being used by many racers that can do FAR more than a grid and ARC module and no one bats an eye. Yet the Grid and ARC seem to get all the hate..

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1022 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
I would assume Mr. Beard is referring to a Grid as the magic box. No more magic than some of the digital programmable 7 boxes just more user friendly. And they have been around for 2 decades.

What? Where do you get any of that out of the simple factual statement "The ARC Module is illegal in bracket racing." -=facepalm=- The Grid is not magic. It's an ignition box. The ARC Module is the slew rate controller.

Yes, I'm well aware that there are other boxes that are illegal. It's in the rulebook. It was just an example.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5767 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

quote:
So now they are cheating but you can buy an ignition that can basically do everything the Matty box did and more.

The ARC Module is illegal in bracket racing.

Easily purchasable. How often is it even checked for?
I might not be a good racer, but I’ve never even had my car looked at by someone. Hundreds of grand up for grabs and it’s just assumed everyone is honest

I’ve had the Grid Can-bus plugged into four times in the twelve years I owned it, at tracks looking at the Slew Module Timeout setting for the 7761 arc module being used. It’s a tattle-tale device that basically shows good or bad in a color response.

Then right next to my Grid is a Holley ECU that has a more powerful capability for traction control if the licensed software is purchased and installed.

Fueltech, BS3, Motec, Haltech, MS have traction control capabilities as well.

I assume everyone is legal if/when using these ignitions.

Posts: 2633 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

quote:

quote:
So now they are cheating but you can buy an ignition that can basically do everything the Matty box did and more.

The ARC Module is illegal in bracket racing.

Easily purchasable. How often is it even checked for?
I might not be a good racer, but I’ve never even had my car looked at by someone. Hundreds of grand up for grabs and it’s just assumed everyone is honest

I’ve had the Grid Can-bus plugged into four times in the twelve years I owned it, at tracks looking at the Slew Module Timeout setting for the 7761 arc module being used. It’s a tattle-tale device that basically shows good or bad in a color response.

Then right next to my Grid is a Holley ECU that has a more powerful capability for traction control if the licensed software is purchased and installed.

Fueltech, BS3, Motec, Haltech, MS have traction control capabilities as well.

I assume everyone is legal if/when using these ignitions.

I am probably reading into what you are saying too much. But, you assume that every single person who uses the ignitions listed are using them in legal ways and that not one single person out there bracket racing is using the illegal capabilities?

Posts: 850 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
I am probably reading into what you are saying too much. But, you assume that every single person who uses the ignitions listed are using them in legal ways and that not one single person out there bracket racing is using the illegal capabilities?

Because it’s known that these ignitions have the capability, I believe that alone has already made others suspicious of how they are being used. That user already is being marked as possibly being illegal. This alone could/will help deter cheating.

I’ve seen 7531 boxes in several bracket cars and never gave it a thought that they were using the slew feature.

Yes, I feel those bracket racing today and "doing well" are legal no matter the ignition choice.

Posts: 2633 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
There are others being used that have not been made illegal nor does anyone give them a second thought.

If you know, you know. Not hard to figure this **** out.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 781 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots pf cars out there have 7531 boxes being used in bracket racing. I have sold two of them that are doing just that. I used them in a heads up car I had 15 years ago. Are they using the slew rate function who knows. I don't think so but that's the end users decision and likely no one would ever question it. After all they are two decades old and it not a grid Roll Eyes

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1022 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:

Because it’s known that these ignitions have the capability, I believe that alone has already made others suspicious of how they are being used. That user already is being marked as possibly being illegal. This alone could/will help deter cheating.

I’ve seen 7531 boxes in several bracket cars and never gave it a thought that they were using the slew feature.

Yes, I feel those bracket racing today and "doing well" are legal no matter the ignition choice.

I still don’t think you answered my question

You do not think there is 1 single bracket racer in the entire country who is using this function? Not 1?

Posts: 850 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea and that's why a "footbrake" racer form Ohio is doing so good in a big dollar races all over over the midwest and south, no one goes .00x on the dial x times over a week and its not just him, but pay your $$ and play it's the world we created just gotta have a better mouse trap.

Posts: 615 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:I still don’t think you answered my question. You do not think there is 1 single bracket racer in the entire country who is using this function? Not 1?

Could very well be more than one person, I don't know. Has anyone been found using illegal capabilities in legal devices at ET races and winning? All the ECU’s I listed prior are NHRA legal.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I see three problems with the current system that favor the use of illegal electronic systems / equipment.

(1) There is literally no real initial "Technical" Inspection. The only items inspected are your NHRA Membership, that your Competition license is current and that your seat belts and Chassis Certifications are still in compliance.

(2) The size of the purse is incentive (risk/reward) to do whatever knowing there is very little chance of getting caught. Where there is a will, (money) there is an incentive to try.

(3) The entire NHRA Appeal Process and the way it's structured is actually an incentive to cheat. The inspection is very expensive and very specific, your appeal must identify exactly what the Tech Inspector is going to inspect. In effect it limits (restricts) the area that is to be inspected.

To make this an even bigger problem they are now adding legalized gambling to the process. If you thought it's a problem now it's only going to get worse. A new type of "competitor and spectator" is about to show up at events. Greed will prevail.

Bob

Posts: 3166 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I see three problems with the current system that favor the use of illegal electronic systems / equipment.

(1) There is literally no real initial "Technical" Inspection. The only items inspected are your NHRA Membership, that your Competition license is current and that your seat belts and Chassis Certifications are still in compliance.

(2) The size of the purse is incentive (risk/reward) to do whatever knowing there is very little chance of getting caught. Where there is a will, (money) there is an incentive to try.

(3) The entire NHRA Appeal Process and the way it's structured is actually an incentive to cheat. The inspection is very expensive and very specific, your appeal must identify exactly what the Tech Inspector is going to inspect. In effect it limits (restricts) the area that is to be inspected.

To make this an even bigger problem they are now adding legalized gambling to the process. If you thought it's a problem now it's only going to get worse. A new type of "competitor and spectator" is about to show up at events. Greed will prevail.

Bob

^^^^^ this!!

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
So here we are, shifted off topic.
I don't care about any ignitions and accessories, EVERYONE has a car that will run dead on, we're looking for those that might be using a device to help them on the reaction time.
I personally feel that there should be NO RULES in regard to the vehicle equipment.

Still haven't been presented with any substantive evidence that such device(s) exist.

Prove me wrong?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1799 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I don't care about any ignitions and accessories, EVERYONE has a car that will run dead on, we're looking for those that might be using a device to help them on the reaction time.
I personally feel that there should be NO RULES in regard to the vehicle equipment.

Still haven't been presented with any substantive evidence that such device(s) exist.

Prove me wrong?

Dave is right here, we know the technology exists to read the tree but I still believe it would be very hard to hide and very inconsistent due to camera flashes or not directed exactly on the tree right.

Should someone ever get caught I hope they make it known who did it, how they did it and what to look for to catch them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4217 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
TTT, LOL!

2BKING
Relaxing

quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I'll just leave this right here.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2721 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

Prove me wrong?

Chat gpt gave me what it said are step by step guides to create the product and even wrote the code for me in about 3 seconds this morning

It picked the brain: https://store-usa.arduino.cc/p...gEAAYAyAAEgKtbfD_BwE

And the photodiode: https://www.mouser.com/Product...DEAAYASAAEgLHmPD_BwE

It picked the brain and diode specifically for drag racing and even told me
How to connect it to the delay box

Not sure how many have used chat gpt

Also, I have no idea if this works or not. I also have no idea if it would be any more accurate than a human being at the race track with a car shaking and rattling.

Is it possible though? Absolutely

If you don’t want to believe it’s possible, especially in todays world of Ai, that’s on you

If you don’t want to believe there isn’t 1 single drag racer cheating with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line, that’s also on you.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
More than small enough to fit in a current delay box or...2"x3/4" would be fairly easy to hide for sure. Don't see why it would not work, just a light sensing diode and trigger mechanism. Seems easy to hide given the size. Guess the only question is how well does the photodiode see an LED light from 15' away

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used to do stuff like that at my last job. The photodiode will respond to any light source bright enough. We used them in machines and had to shield them from even the plant lighting.

First thing you'd have to do is shield it from the stage lights, and any other light in it's view, then be able to accurately aim it lane to lane.

Personally, I believe that most of the guys killing the tree are just making hundreds of passes a year and they are that good.

Posts: 79 | Location: park forest, il | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
More than small enough to fit in a current delay box or...2"x3/4" would be fairly easy to hide for sure. Don't see why it would not work, just a light sensing diode and trigger mechanism. Seems easy to hide given the size. Guess the only question is how well does the photodiode see an LED light from 15' away

First, the standard tree is 40 to 42 feet from the stage beam. Pre-stage beam 92" up from the surface. NHRA specs.

Add to that the numerous illumination sources at play, and the question of how the device interfaces with the vehicle undetected just doesn't all add up for me.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1799 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
TTT, LOL!

2BKING
Relaxing

quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I'll just leave this right here.

I still fail to see any significance to this.

Left lane tightened the stripe as much as possible without flat spotting the tires, the right lane knew he was screwed, no matter what, and ran it out the back.

Until Scott can divulge the information that would make it make sense , it means nothing.
I've seen stuff like this happen on a weekly basis, from the announcer's deck, and in the book of screwed up runs, this ain't nothing.

I've watched an experienced S/P racer stage with his back tires, and the equally experienced S/P racer in the other lane, go red to him. Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375