DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Politics and more Politics    Will Government ever try to grab guns in us
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Government ever try to grab guns in us
 Login/Join

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your head.......

All lead for bullets will have to come from overseas! This move will also make the cost 100 LL (100 low lead aviation fuel) UNAFFORDABLE. Approximately 2 g of lead is added to each gallon of aviation fuel!

There are numerous alarming reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here's one of them.

Government through the EPA just shut down the last lead smelting plant in the US. They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can't get ammo, you are out of luck.

Now, all domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US. Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more.

With the US no longer producing lead, all supplies will now have to come from China, Australia or Peru, with the overwhelming emphasis on China.

The smelting plant has known since 2010 this was coming. They couldn't stop it and no one else rose up to stop it either. The business had been in production for 120 years and now goes the way of our auto industry.

The military's obsession with ammo was related to security and supply. They knew this was coming too, so they bought up all they could get before the plug was pulled. Screw the average American. It's as Chris Muir said, he's not as worried about where the bullets will come from, as much as how the government will deliver them and I'm right there with him on that one.

You can Google this if you don't believe it, or read this article: http://www.thenewamerican.com/ usnews/constitution/item/16881-EPA-closure-of-

EPA Closure of Last Lead Smelting Plant to Impact Ammunition Production

www.thenewamerican.com

In forcing the country's last lead smelting plant to close, the Environmental Protection Agency is making a severe impact on the manufacture of ammunition. By Joe Wolverton, II, J.D.

The last-lead-smelting-plant-to-impact-ammunition-production < http://www.thenewamerican .com/usnews/constitution/item/16881-EPA-closure-of

Long term what this means: Your investment in ammo may be your best investment. Guns will be plentiful but ammo will be another story. How does $3.75 a round (that's for one bullet) for a 9mm work for you? Box of 50 would only cost you $187.50

One good reason to save up a few bullets, not shoot them all up. I sometimes wonder how many bullets would be enough. How many could I effectively use before I was overtaken? Would I be able to scavage some from the whoever I shot or were shot? I used to be good, not so much anymore, but I think there would be a limit on just how long I could hold them off. Maybe save the last one for me.

Posts: 8960 | Location: Cooper, Texas | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Something else to think about.. When this happens and we have to import the lead for our bullets, what will happen when war breaks out? I'm not talking about the war between the people and the government, I'm talking war between us and some other country.

If you remember back in WWII we converted our factories to building war fighting equipment, can't do that now since there are no more factories. So where is the lead gonna come from to manufacture bullets when the enemy takes control of the smelting plant, and ours has been shutdown and is unserviceable from lack of use?

I do think there are copper bullets being used now though. But I think it takes almost the same procedures to get copper.. EPA will catch that looph ole before long..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So where is the lead gonna come from to manufacture bullets when the enemy takes control of the smelting plant....,

That is a point that has concerned me for a long time now. Not just lead for ammo, what if it's China or a friend of China's (likely). Where will our general military supplies come from? From where will the stuff come to fill Wal-Mart shelves? Don't think a bunch of xls. spreadsheets and meta data if going to do us a lot of good.

Hey, I'm thinking of re-introducing the Lone Rangers silver bullets. Then, if push comes to shove, you would have trading of bullets and silver all in one package.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Hey, I'm thinking of re-introducing the Lone Rangers silver bullets. Then, if push comes to shove, you would have trading of bullets and silver all in one package.

THANKS...

Now I know what to do with all those tiny silver spoons my mother in law collected...

Rolling

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So my stupid stock pile is going up in value? Guess picking up a pound of powder,box of projectiles or cpl box's of primers every time I stop by gun store might just payoff after all.

Now just need a progressive press,this old single stage works but it is slow.Hard to do over 4 or 5 hundred at one sitting.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
So my stupid stock pile is going up in value? Guess picking up a pound of powder,box of projectiles or cpl box's of primers every time I stop by gun store might just payoff after all.

Now just need a progressive press,this old single stage works but it is slow.Hard to do over 4 or 5 hundred at one sitting.

More patience than me. I have a hard time staying put enough to do twenty five, but they are good.

Posts: 8960 | Location: Cooper, Texas | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just starting out doing reloading.

Need to know what powders to use for 9mm,115 grain bullet, 45 acp 230 grain bullet, 380,havent looked into what I'll shoot yet, and 223 w/ 55 & 62 grain bullet..

Any recommendations on starting point?

Dave

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
Reloading

Buy a good reloading manual. I use the Sierra and Hodgdon books.

Sierra makes the best bullets in my opinion.

I use Hodgdon powder almost exclusively. .223

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BD,

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
The talk about what if war came about and there were no lead factories.

At the start of ww2, the goverment contracted with Austin Brothers Bridge company to move a steel mill from Pennsylvania to Lone Star, Texas.
One year later, the steel plant was in high production, with mining of one of the nations largest iron ore deposits underway.

They used to be able to get a lot done in a very short amount of time.

Another example is the U.S.S. Yorktown rebuilt from a wreck to operatinal status in three days. From Coral Sea to Battle of Midway, where she was finally sunk.

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
Besides, there will never be a large protracted war again. Only regional, hit and miss confrontations.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD:

KEY words...."used to be able"

Skills are lost, willingness to work, sense of patriotism.
We used to have people who were proud to be American. Now we have people who are proud to be hyphenated Americans and the nationality in front of the hyphen comes first.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD:
Besides, there will never be a large protracted war again. Only regional, hit and miss confrontations.

I always thought that. Then came Desert Storm and I remember what it took to ramp up for that little regional war. It took us 3-6 months to get our equipment ready and troops trained up. We were still repairing equipment as it rolled off the ships.

We had been conditioned to think we would draw equipment from POMCUS sites in Europe. I remember a young Lt. getting the info from our Bn Cmdr that we were taking what we had... You should have seen the deadline report go from 90% readiness to under 70%. *******s were lying until they discovered they were going with it.

Dave

DC: From what I know now. The equipment is worn out, civilians are doing the repairs, and troops have no idea how to work on it (at least that hasn't changed).

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
WWII veteran overhearing someone say that "You can't bomb an ideology."
This is his reply.

"The hell you can't. Because we did it. These Muslims are no different than the [Imperial] Japanese. The Japs had their suicide bombers too. And we stopped them. What it takes is the resolve and will to use a level of brutality and violence that your generation can't stomach. And until you can, this **** won't stop. It took us on the beaches with bullets, clearing out caves with flame throwers, and men like General LeMay burning down their cities, killing people by the tens of thousands. And then it took 2 atom bombs on top of it. But if that was what it took to win we were willing to do it. Until you are willing to do the same...well, I hope you enjoy this ****, because it ain't going to stop.”

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD:
The talk about what if war came about and there were no lead factories.

At the start of ww2, the goverment contracted with Austin Brothers Bridge company to move a steel mill from Pennsylvania to Lone Star, Texas.
One year later, the steel plant was in high production, with mining of one of the nations largest iron ore deposits underway.

Another example is the U.S.S. Yorktown rebuilt from a wreck to operatinal status in three days. From Coral Sea to Battle of Midway, where she was finally sunk.

We used to have an abundance of operating factories and people knowledgeable about how to run them.

Canted: Powerfully accurate statement from the vet you quoted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
WWII veteran overhearing someone say that "You can't bomb an ideology."
This is his reply.

"The hell you can't. Because we did it. These Muslims are no different than the [Imperial] Japanese. The Japs had their suicide bombers too. And we stopped them. What it takes is the resolve and will to use a level of brutality and violence that your generation can't stomach. And until you can, this **** won't stop. It took us on the beaches with bullets, clearing out caves with flame throwers, and men like General LeMay burning down their cities, killing people by the tens of thousands. And then it took 2 atom bombs on top of it. But if that was what it took to win we were willing to do it. Until you are willing to do the same...well, I hope you enjoy this ****, because it ain't going to stop.”

not worthy not worthy

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought that. Then came Desert Storm and I remember what it took to ramp up for that little regional war. It took us 3-6 months to get our equipment ready and troops trained up. We were still repairing equipment as it rolled off the ships.

Yes, true, but the shooting only lasted a couple of days.

DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post

Pretty much sums up the Greatest Generation.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The trick to reloading a lot.Resize cases while watching TV.Prime them same way,I have a hand held primer also.Box on left un primed,prime and throw in box on right.Charge them blocks of 50 x2 and seat bullets.Repeat last two steps 5 times and boom(not literally) you have 500 rounds of fun.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of BD
posted Hide Post
Do you trim the necks for length and debur? Do you clean primer base and blow hole? Do you polish your cases?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
only ones that have ever needed trimming where 7mm mag and my .460's.The 45,.357,270 and 30-06's have never had anything being cut when I tried them.

Polishing brass does nothing but look pretty.On cleaning primer hole it depends on rather they have been in polisher.If so then its a must,if not I check during priming stage by looking thru case towards light.On some loads I do have to bellmouth case for projectile,so as not to hang and crush case.