DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Pittsburgh Raceway Park
Page 1 ... 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 ... 716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pittsburgh Raceway Park
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
some people just like to complain..must be the result of bad parenting!! Hum

Photobucket

Posts: 3065 | Location: pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
From the PRP site:

Tech rule additions and chassis certification information
03-18-2015

Attention all racers, here are some additions to the IHRA tech rules that everyone needs to be aware of for the 2015 season:

Helmets: All classes must have Snell 2000 or newer. Snell 95 helmets ARE NOT PERMITTED IN ANY ET BRACKET CLASS.

Headers: Must have 4 welded tabs on collectors and 4 tabs on primary tubes - OR - A tethering device may be made from minimum 1/8” steel cable and T bolt clamps or muffler clamps with locking fasteners

Chassis certification is required if you are quicker than 9.00 seconds in the ¼ mile (6.00 second in the 1/8th mile), or faster than 150mph.
There will be chassis certification at PRP on Saturday, April 11th; you must reserve a spot on the schedule. Cash only, $75 Sportsman (3 year tag, 7.50 cert), $100 Pro (2 year tag, 6.00 cert).
The owner or driver must be present to sign paperwork. Appointments are every 15 minutes; contact tech@pittsburghracewaypark.com to schedule.

Note: Engine diapers are eventually going to be mandatory on all race only cars (street driven cars will be exempt from the requirement). PRP is currently working with a company to obtain a bulk order, which would enable the diapers to be offered to racer at a discounted price for a limited time. The number one reason for them is racer safety, as we have all seen what can happen when fluids get under the tires. It will also help us minimize down time in the program, which benefits racers and fans. No one likes to watch the Oil Dry Nationals!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tony Fagnilli
posted Hide Post
The track should have mandated diapers years ago.

Posts: 953 | Location: pittsburgh | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For the cars or the drivers Tony ?

Posts: 474 | Location: Trinity, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
The tethers are IHRA's deal...lets be happy we don't run NHRA where they mandate NHRA approved ones. IHRA gives you options, weld/more tabs/home made tethers all ok.

Jones Transmission Pumps

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Ranger:
Diapers I see, but collector tethers lol. money making bs scheme. period. it would take ten minutes to get mine off let alone fly off. so test n tune guys that tow cars in need them too?? one more thing.. save money= 1/8 mile.

Yeah... dumbass, BS rules. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Shawn, tethers wouldn't have helped that. I mean, how often do they fly off??

I think most people with a passion for racing read some sort of social media, where the tether issue has come up. That includes the IHRA site:

Collectors that utilize springs or less than 4 tabs on collector and 4 tabs on primaries must use a secondary method for tethering collector. Tethering devices may be made from minimum 1/8" steel cable and t-bolt clamps or muffler clamps with locking fasteners.

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carry on now... O wait i didnt call u a name yet.

I took Shawn's "dumbass" as an adjective for the word "rules", not as being directed at anyone. Just my opinion.

I'm just guessing, but I think there would be some leeway given if a racer needs to get in compliance.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Carr
posted Hide Post
Does the diaper rule apply to specialty classes, booked-in shows, etc?

Mike Carr
Tri-State Stock/Stock Association President
Retired Stock/bracket racer
Facebook/Twitter: buffdaddy1302

Posts: 59 | Location: Enon Valley PA | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Chuck

Very much the opposite with the designs of the tethers the companies are using. A tether would have prevented Randy's collector from contacting the tire. The clamp would have been in front of the tabs on the primary headers tubes and behind the tabs on the collector. The tether between the clamps will only allow the collector to slide back maybe 1/2" on the primary tubes before being snug and will keep the collector from coming off the primary tubes.

Unfortunately collector failures happen more often than what you think. I have seen it both from dragsters and door cars.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I think the engine diaper is a great idea. They are cheap enough now that there should be no reason not to have one. I think there are a few other rules that you would have more gripes with than this.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Diapers I see, but collector tethers lol. money making bs scheme. period. it would take ten minutes to get mine off let alone fly off. so test n tune guys that tow cars in need them too?? one more thing.. save money= 1/8 mile.

just think for one second , if that collector would have broke off wile that guy (in the pic above} was doing his burn out, that collector would have been flying out from under his car (if it was run over by the rear tire) at 100+ mph at people and or the car behind him. there would have been serious damage to the car,and worse yet serious injury to a person behind him. i do not think they are a bad idea. also IHRA lets you make your own, you do not need to buy a $150.00 system. JMO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Retro D,

Posts: 39 | Location: 3rd rock | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Carr:
Does the diaper rule apply to specialty classes, booked-in shows, etc?

Mike, it's not a rule yet. I would hope when it is, the rule will help make an answer clear for you, and everyone.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
I think the engine diaper is a great idea. They are cheap enough now that there should be no reason not to have one. I think there are a few other rules that you would have more gripes with than this.

It may be a pain at first, trying to figure out the best way to go, but from what I've read in the Tech section, manufactures will work with you to make custom ones. I am thankful that when I blew up the 455, it was at the top of first gear, not second or third. That may have become an OH SH!!!!!T moment, that a diaper could prevent.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I put a diaper on mine a couple weeks ago. It took about a half hour but I understand everyone's setup is different. I also spent the extra money for a custom one from DRE.

Chuck the tether rule only applies to cars running headers only correct? I run exhaust so they obviously aren't going to fly off.

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's amazed me over the years watching guys spend thousands of dollars on performance parts and making large investments into their race program that they won't spend $100 for a diaper or a couple bucks on collector tethers. That's the cheapest insurance you will find to protect your car on the track.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
It's amazed me over the years watching guys spend thousands of dollars on performance parts and making large investments into their race program that they won't spend $100 for a diaper or a couple bucks on collector tethers. That's the cheapest insurance you will find to protect your car on the track.

I'm sure someone will stop in soon to whine about it though.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Do the evac hoses count as collector tethers? Big Grin
I have had a diaper on my car for years and think they should charge the guys who don't run one more money at the gate. big idea

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They shouldn't charge them more they should discount the ones who use one because it benefits the track.

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute now the track is trying to make money so charge them an extra $5 every week. I know there are benefits to less clean ups but if the track start seeing big gains then maybe they could up the payouts. You know a track never discounts only raises prices just saying.

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post