DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    The Future Of Fontana
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Future Of Fontana
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Has anyone heard about the future of The Auto Club Drag Strip at Fontana? There are a number of rumors about the Drag Strip and none of them are encouraging. Rather than rely on rumors I would like to hear from people who have direct knowledge of the tracks future.

As much as I like to race at Bakersfield I can no longer tow that far, not am I interested in trying on a monthly basis.

Regards:

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
They are NOT on the 2021 NHRA LODRS event list!!! Super Angry

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bob-I too have heard RUMORS and yes not favorable. I was told that the property that the dragstrip occupies has been sold. This has been in the planning since Nascar decided to change to 1/2 mile track and sell off the surrounding property. The dragstrip would seem to be something that could be used during all the planning which could take years in development, but it is inevitable to me that our dragstrips life is not going to be as long as we want it to be. Tell the owners of Barona to increase the pit parking.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I picked a good time to retire. Now all I gotta do is talk my son into selling the race truck.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A great source told me that the dragstrip portion of the property has been sold to Amazon. Makes sense because of the train access and they will make a spur for Amazon. A perfect spot for a distribution center, Cherry Ave., close to the 10 freeway etc. Really disappointing for us racers. Now nowhere to race other than Vegas 5 1/2 hours and Bakersfield 3 hours.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Charlie Allen
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a bass boat...............

"Mourning the loss of Auto Club Dragway in Fontana"............RIP

Posts: 532 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: March 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Where is the nearest lake Charlie? Hey? Charlie do you and Larry remember the scooter you two donated
to the super street banquet at least 14 or 15 years ago and they picked a ticket out and Larry won it, then Larry said no to that pick another ticket. Well I was the lucky one. Anyway again Thanks. Well the scooter has finally stopped running. Charlie I need a mechanic?

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm not like you geezers (Charlie, Larry and Bob) I am way too young to retire just not ready to make the 272 (one way) mile tow from Lakeside to Bakersfield twice a month.

I wonder what the home prices are like in Bakersfield, maybe I could get a place with my very own oil derrick in the back yard. Oh happy day.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I heard another rumor that Amazon also purchased the Houston and Route 66 properties either for speculation or dist. centers. Now that the rumors are flowing has anyone else heard that?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard another rumor that Amazon also purchased the Houston and Route 66 properties either for speculation or dist. centers. Now that the rumors are flowing has anyone else heard that?

It wouldn't surprise me Bob.

Amazon is buying large properties all over the Country and those you mentioned would be prime locations for Amazon Distribution Centers. They recently opened a huge Distribution Center in Poway a few miles North of San Diego and are building a second one in San Ysidro on the Mexican Border between San Diego and Tijuana. These facilities are hiring thousands of people, can't imagine what the folks in New York were thinking when they rejected Amazon's bid to build their headquarters in New York City. Really stupid move.

If the Fontana property has been sold it will be tragic loss for Drag Racers in Southern California. Perhaps K&N saw the handwriting on the wall and was part of the decision to move to Texas. California is going to Hell in a hand basket.

Bob

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
It's almost like Amazon has figured out that racetracks represent large, under-utilized properties they can get for a good price.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Has anyone heard about the future of The Auto Club Drag Strip at Fontana? There are a number of rumors about the Drag Strip and none of them are encouraging. Rather than rely on rumors I would like to hear from people who have direct knowledge of the tracks future.

As much as I like to race at Bakersfield I can no longer tow that far, not am I interested in trying on a monthly basis.

Regards:

Bob

Loosing tracks sucks! Had that conversation with a group this weekend. I think it’s time for us to push NHRA for some answers on Bakersfield. Very well could be a waste of time ? Changes coming to Sonoma also. More travel in our future if we want to race Super Angry or move...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the rumor mill. Hopefully someone in the know can confirm or deny. Thought the Fontana thing came up earlier this year. As for RT66 they have said no 2021 racing but that entire area is surrounded by wharehouses.

Unfortunately Sonomas fate seems sealed with only Wednesday night program remaining for drag racing.

Since we are spreading rumors whats up with Sacramento raceway? Seems like I always here there are closing.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sacramento can continue to operate until Dave Smith passes away. Then it loses it conditional use permit. I assume it will then actively look for a buyer.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Loosing tracks sucks! Had that conversation with a group this weekend. I think it’s time for us to push NHRA for some answers on Bakersfield. Very well could be a waste of time ? Changes coming to Sonoma also. More travel in our future if we want to race Super Angry or move...[/QUOTE]

Bakersfield doesn't want NHRA races. They have a very successful program going.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I meant to mention another Amazon moment. At the Las Vegas strip while I was there for the 1st div. race and Jegs SN there were truck trailers parked out just north of our staging area. Someone said that all those trailers are from Amazon and pay the strip 160K a month to park. Al is that true???If that is true then maybe the vulnerable dragstrip properties are attractive to Amazon for some reason.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
I meant to mention another Amazon moment. At the Las Vegas strip while I was there for the 1st div. race and Jegs SN there were truck trailers parked out just north of our staging area. Someone said that all those trailers are from Amazon and pay the strip 160K a month to park. Al is that true???If that is true then maybe the vulnerable dragstrip properties are attractive to Amazon for some reason.

I heard it was 130k per month...Its still an insane amount!

On Fontana: No Divisional scheduled. Sonoma has nothing but Wed. nights, (2) divisionals and a National, Bakersfield doesn't seem interested in NHRA stuff, and Sac is on its way out at some unknown time (its been closing "next year" for years). California Drag racing is in big trouble.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fontana is going to reopen the first weekend in March.

Amazon buying the property was a rumor but the land is cess pool from the steel mill

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Fontana is going to reopen the first weekend in March.

Amazon buying the property was a rumor but the land is cess pool from the steel mill

No better use for it other than a race track.
Great news.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea! If and when it does open it is scheduled the weekend after the Nascar race. Please re-open, I have been disappointed enough this month. Thinking about going out and protesting and burning and of course looting. Oh sorry that's what the other side does when they don't get there way. My mistake!