Find
Notify
Tools

starter repair
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking to getg HOP starter repaired, Just called Mark and he is 4 to 6 weeks out. Anyone know of someone who will repair his stuff other than him? Nothing against him just have another TNT in two weeks and then TNT,with back to back bracket race at Piedmont. Add in not much time left before too damn hot for my old ass to be out racing. Can handle 0* hell of lot better than90 and 85* shyt.
Any good starter repair guys?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
PM sent

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
This is why I like a spare everything!

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Any local starter repair shop can….

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Only one starter shop left around here I think. Not all that grat and not sure I trust them to fix anything not st OEM.Mostly Hispanic with dyke running the place. There use to be two guys local damn good but both passed in the last 10 years.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The repair is easy, even for you with the right parts. What exactly did you break?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The motors rarely fail
The drive or the retraction springs do but mostly the springs

I had 2 starters and if I had a spring fail, swapped to my spare and fixed the first one in my trailer in 10 minutes

2 types of springs.....regular and wave type

Regular worked fine....deburr end of spring and grease the h-e-l-l out of it so it does not grab and get wound up. Use a good grease or anti seize

Don't buy cheap drives....good ones last a zillion starts....

Lay under there and make sure the starter engagement is right and retracts on it's own

If it does not retract and the engine starts it can hurt the drive....

Starting at idle is best.....not always possible but is best for the starter drive....

I demolished my share of starters from kickbacks and solved that issue...rotor phasing and various starting techniques that worked best...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just 1 kickback starts the damage and it’s only a matter of time until the drive fails, usually the spring or bearing and sometimes the gear starts to break apart too, putting metal into the armature case. If the drive gear didn’t fail, no metal, just swapping drive assemblies is an easy fix as Rich stated. Every racer should carry a spare drive assembly and solenoid if not an entire spare starter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Will check spring since this one has habit of hanging some. That would be the mounting block most likely. Since there is no such thing as a starter mount for a TFX92 Hemi I had to make one. Well 4 or 5. Seems the least amount of movement of one of the holes makes a huge difference in engagement. I mean 30 or 40 thousand and half a tooth goes to too tight. Good thing has the material and just 2 hours on mill and I have another one.LOL

Right now solenoid click, does not engage fully and no attempt to rotate. Pulling apart today and maybe with two very old units I have enough to build back better and hopefully better than the idiot in the White House's attempt at that.

Tried swapping out solenoids last night even knowing the two I had a better chance of bad than good.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had 2 HOP 139 big dogs and many spare springs,
a spare drive and a spare solenoid.

Mark treated me like family.....I was very appreciative and he bailed me out more than once....

You go rounds and expect to win it's a must to have this stuff

I changed a starter at Atco at an association race with barely a couple minutes to get up there and made it and was .001 for the W on that round....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Oh I believe in spare stuff.

Fuuny time. How many bracket cars have 6 or 7 sets of bearings,4 sets of springs, spare msd mag and box,all transmission clutches(no full spare YET) spare front tires, working on spare rears, spare heads, extra valves, spare fuel pump,two sets of pushrods, two spare pistons, all gaskets two sets of? That is start of list.
Wonder why my trailer so heavy.LMAO

See I broke what I did not yet have spares of. Just like I have always said about having spare parts. Before comment most of that I had before the car was started so it in no way held up buying for this car.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Figure it has to be solenoid. Pulled everything apart and no signs of burning up starter itself. Not sure why not I work the hell out of it Saturday.

Reassembled connected starter with it in the floor and grounded to the car. Hit button . Nothing except lights ondelay and other went out for a second.. All wiring checked out fine with meter

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
How many bracket cars have 6 or 7 sets of bearings,4 sets of springs, spare msd mag and box,all transmission clutches(no full LLC
spare YET) spare front tires, working on spare rears, spare heads, extra valves, spare fuel pump,two sets of pushrods, two spare pistons, all gaskets two sets of? That is start of list.

Answer…NONE because most of what you have is either A not used on a bracket car or B not installed in the pits of a bracket race!

You are NOT a bracket racer.

That said, I carry all the spares a bracket racer might need, parts that are, can be replaced in the pits at a bracket race/weekend event. For the engine I have in my trailer valve springs, pushrods, rockers and lifters, beyond that we are loading up and going home to swap engines.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If I have to drive down there to fix it for you it's gonna cost you more than some redneck chit...LOL

Besides my back hurts so bad today I'm not movin for a while

Test the starter by itself without the car hooked up...just battery cables + and - and jump the solenoid.....Don't blame the starter if it's the car causing it.....

Can't fix stuff when you don't know what's wrong....diagnosis is what I do better than most....anybody can turn a bolt and change a part....being a replacer is not my game....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
If I have to drive down there to fix it for you it's gonna cost you more than some redneck chit...LOL

Besides my back hurts so bad today I'm not movin for a while

Test the starter by itself without the car hooked up...just battery cables + and - and jump the solenoid.....Don't blame the starter if it's the car causing it.....

Can't fix stuff when you don't know what's wrong....diagnosis is what I do better than most....anybody can turn a bolt and change a part....being a replacer is not my game.

Like said starter not working laying in floor. I tried both grounded to the chassis and just jumper cables from the battery. .Jumpering old school, you know screwdriver.LOL Nothing with car I have 15v every place I should when on car.

Not sure what the redneck chit is but if cold clear creek water as some around here call it. We have that.LOL Night be redneck but you would forget your back ache.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I'd probably wake up dead if I hit that stuff.... Laughing Hard

I'm way to old for white lightning....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Jumper cables or jump pack.. positive to solenoid stud, negative to rear bolt on back of starter. What happens?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Call Jack at East Coast Alternator,570 457 0553

Posts: 7 | Location: nepa | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Solenoids job is to shift the drive into the flexplate and at the same time internally connects the motor to B+ so it runs

Jump the top large post on the solenoid to the lower large post that connects to the motor...B+ with body grounded
Motor should spin

If motor spins but nothing happens when you jumper small terminal on solenoid to B+ larger post on top, the solenoid is N/G and motor is ok....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agree