DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminum Rods - When and Why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum Rods - When and Why?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why aluminum rods? This is why, would you rather hit your crank with a steal hammer or aluminum one? My rods come out every 30-40 runs and new go in. They are cheap and part of racing a on the edge engine.
You do not put them in the oven and set the clearances! Aluminum rods are run on the loose side, Why! This is why, after a few runs you will find the clearance gets tighter at the parting line of the rod. after a few runs you may loose a thou. If you run tight, you will loose a rod and crank. How loose, I start at 0.0055 Aluminum rods are fine to run if you can afford them and know how and when to replace them. In high dollar racing they are expendable. I give my old ones away to fans in the pits at the races.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The original post was asking about why would anyone run them in a normal bracket mot? Not talking Top Dragster or Top Alcohol motors which seem to be almost same now.
Really I think we are talking 800 to 1200 bracket motors not the 2500 or so blown motors.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You are correct Curly, Bracket engines have changed. I also agree that a good normal rod will be just fine to run. For a guy that wants to run a season, don't waste your time.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
Why aluminum rods? This is why, would you rather hit your crank with a steal hammer or aluminum one? My rods come out every 30-40 runs and new go in. They are cheap and part of racing a on the edge engine.
You do not put them in the oven and set the clearances! Aluminum rods are run on the loose side, Why! This is why, after a few runs you will find the clearance gets tighter at the parting line of the rod. after a few runs you may loose a thou. If you run tight, you will loose a rod and crank. How loose, I start at 0.0055 Aluminum rods are fine to run if you can afford them and know how and when to replace them. In high dollar racing they are expendable. I give my old ones away to fans in the pits at the races.

Yes you do.

The clearances are set according to the oil, obviously you're talking blown alcohol, using 60 70 wt oil. With the rods thrown in the stands at 30 - 40 laps.

I'm talking hypothetically, if I ran aluminum rods in my sbc Super Pro bracket racing, which I could do no problem, 120 140 laps, by bringing everything in play to operating temperature, and setting clearances tight for 30 wt oil. The tight clearance at the parting line after a few runs, is not an issue either, do you know how to adjust for that? Guess not.

The fashion in which you're proposing, would make a n/a sbc with aluminum rods a ticking time bomb. That's not how i'd do it, but have at it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You are correct Mike, I know nothing.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
You are correct Mike, I know nothing.

You're putting words in my mouth.

You're talking blown alcohol, I'm talking sbc.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
I’ve ran aluminum rods in my little 14-1 quarter mile bracket 355 exclusively. 2 sets of manley’s both had 225-250 passes, 2 sets of MGP 1st set had 625 passes and the second set is installed with 0 passes yet but has been siting assembled for almost 3 yrs. have my reasons and beliefs...next time around I’ll probably spend on a killer set of light steel.

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Best reason so far I have seen here to run aluminum rods. Ed said not to use them. Kind of like when a democrat tells you something. The opposite is what you should be doing.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't build an aluminum rodded motor for true bracket racing but I would love to have driven one of those destroked high winding small block 5 speed cars I grew up with. My good friends wife car has aluminum rods in an old super gas Camaro 327 motor super light car. It is way overdue for a change but it probably has well over 600 or 700 passes on it. I would never recommend that and I'm sure we are on borrowed times x3.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Best reason so far I have seen here to run aluminum rods. Ed said not to use them.

The only way your pile of shyt wins a round at a real bracket race is if your competitor breaks before staging. Laughing very hard Spitting

Same clueless nobody asking on forum about lifters for a hemi rather than call the foremost expect in the country. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are speaking from your past experience Ed.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Anytime you want to compare Wallys and big checks no mind cars let me know! NahNahTounge

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Anytime you want to compare Wallys and big checks no mind cars let me know! NahNahTounge

Serious question,I was always under the impression you raced footbrake, street, no electronics whatever you prefer to call it.

Is my impression wrong? Did you win a wally Super Street racing? or are you talking about the Wally your driver won?

I'm curious

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Serious question, when are you going drag your POS with triple chrome plated bumpers out and put it in the other lane opposite me? I’ll be at Piedmont in November again for the Door Car Nationals. You can start with the excuses now cause we both know you ain’t be there.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Serious question, when are you going drag your POS with triple chrome plated bumpers out and put it in the other lane opposite me? I’ll be at Piedmont in November again for the Door Car Nationals. You can start with the excuses now cause we both know you ain’t be there.

Ed, you're not anyone I'm interested in racing. I might pull up on Scotty Richardson, because there's something to gain, like experience. You're like the fat chic in the pinto dial'd 8.19, I'd avoid.

Seriously.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Now, if you told me you won 50 wally's Super Street racing when I inquired, that would most likely change.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mickey Non-one here thought for a moment you might show up to get your azz handed to you. NahNahTounge

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I prefer racing people who are better than I, Ed. I'm not a bully.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I am! You’ve been racing at your local duck pond your entire brief bracket racing career.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I prefer racing people who are better than I, Ed. I'm not a bully.

quote:
I am!