Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster Brakes
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
There are many different O-Ring materials and there is a reason for that. Because they have to deal with different fluids, heat and pressures. So one O-Ring that works for one application may not work on another. I usually have a bunch of O-rings different types standard, Viton, PTFE and may someday put one of each in a container with different brake fluids to see how they react. Or I could trust the people who Design, built and tested the brakes........

Those who design, build and warranty brake systems know what they are doing and what O-Rings they have. None recommend the DOT 5.

I will go with their recommendation on this one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4241 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
There are many different O-Ring materials and there is a reason for that. Because they have to deal with different fluids, heat and pressures. So one O-Ring that works for one application may not work on another. I usually have a bunch of O-rings different types standard, Viton, PTFE and may someday put one of each in a container with different brake fluids to see how they react. Or I could trust the people who Design, built and tested the brakes........

Those who design, build and warranty brake systems know what they are doing and what O-Rings they have. None recommend the DOT 5.

I will go with their recommendation on this one.
My whole point….

Posts: 1275 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Can anyone tell me exactly what the problem with dot5 silicone fluid is? I’m building a new car and brakes using Strange brakes. Even they can’t tell me why they don’t recommend it, just they don’t recommend it. Reading msds and recommendations on applications it appears that dot5 would be the best choice provided proper maintenance is kept. These cars are aggressively driven then put in storage sometimes for weeks. That’s follows the recommendation for dot5 fluid. So, again, what exactly is the problem?
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Of course they cant because they too are regurgitating myth, rumor and hearsay first stated by someone 40 years ago that didn’t have a clue, maybe an engineer or manufacturer of only DOT3 at the time. Regardless, There is no issue, no problem and you are exactly correct, EVERYTHING about what we do with these cars is EXACTLY what DOT5 was intended to do. Use it without any concern or fear.
quote:
Not looking for an argument just real facts.
quote:
Here’s my take on the situation based on the reading I have done. The “we do not recommend dot5 fluid”, is a CYA by the manufacturer. Reason being, the manufacturer has no control over the installation or end user. Manufacturing also knows that mixing dot5 with dot3/4/5.1 will result in brake loss or failure. The manufacturer knows most people will be put off by the price of dot5 fluid and just use whatever is cheapest that can be had at the time. That’s my opinion on it and yes I know what it’s worth, no need to remind me. I was looking for an actual reason but I myself cannot find it.

Wooley...KNOWS!

Half Scale Dragsters, Undercover Motorsports, MPR Race Cars and Turn Key...KNOWS!

The US Military...KNOWS!

The BIG 3's Fleet Divisions...KNOWS!

What DOT5 does is...

1. outperforms anything out there when it comes to the temperatures generated by our braking system in our type of racing.

2. because it does not mix with water, it is non corrosive to our braking system meaning it will not create rust in the brake lines nor the calipers.

What DOT5 doesn't do is...

1. boil, burn, overheat resulting in that black, smelly sludge known as DOT 3, DOT4, DOT5.1 that comes out of your brake system IF you ever flush it!

2. swell the O rings in our calipers..FACT!

End of discussion, use what you want but there is NO issue using DOT5 in bracket car's brake systems. NONE, never was, never will be!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, so we’re supposed to believe an internet Ediot over all of the manufacturers who have not recommended it. Got it.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Ohhh, so we’re supposed to believe an internet Ediot over all of the manufacturers who have not recommended it. Got it.

Ediot should be arguing with them instead of us.

Call up Mark Williams, TBM, Wilwood, Moser and all they others and tell them why they are wrong and do not know what they are talking about or doing. Get them straightened out. I am sure they want the best product available and if it was better they would recommend it in their brakes. Especially on new systems if it is better.

Why does Karen care what Brake Fluid, tires or what ever we run? Not any of her business.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4241 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
CURLY....KNOWS Right

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4539 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up for Dragster Brake customers. Doug Cook from TBM never quits innovating and upgrading.

Spoke with him this past week and they've made more changes to their dragster brakes with an improved rotor design.

I'll have a set in a few days and I'll get a photo posted showing this.

SL...

Posts: 2148 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am not in the market for new brakes right now but if I was I would sure look closer at TBM.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"