DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Please don’t run DOT 5….

Why? I cant wait to hear this one.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
Please don’t run DOT 5….

Why? I cant wait to hear this one.
Simple it’s not made for it….every brake manufacturer will tell you not to run it…Call TBM they tested it makes orings swell for one thing…An yes my UNDERCOVER came with it an brakes sucked till I changed it out…Kurt even knew it wasn’t great….more worried about f ing up somebody’s powdercoat..

Posts: 1275 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My brakes are great and I have the best components, the gold standard in drag racing brakes and my system is filled with the best fluid for the task, DOT5 fluid from birth as is my Firebird as was my junior dragsters as are every COPO as are countless cars from the who’s who of drag racing chassis builders. I nor them ever have to worry about our brakes failing due to overheated, burnt DOT3, 4 or 5.1 as our own SCDIV1 aka Rich and jenavet aka Michael have experienced along with countless bracket racers, some that weren’t as lucky as Rich and Michael.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Me neither

Posts: 1275 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I nor them ever have to worry about our brakes failing due to overheated, burnt DOT3, 4 or 5.1

Dot 5 and Dot 5.1 have the same boiling points, wet or dry.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Test it in your car for a full season of weekly bracket racing and actually using the brakes before the stripe, every pass then drain it and tell me that! I know what comes out, BURNT, black, smelly fluid that looks nothing like what was poured from The bottle!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me neither

You’re Wrong

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHampshire:
Hey guys, it's time to service the brakes on my dragster. What is everyone using for pads and fluid? I want to go ahead and put fresh fluid in it as well.

I want an aggressive pad but not anything that is going to chew up the rotors every year. I don't hold a tenth in the 1/8 and slide the rear tires or anything like that, but I'm looking for something more aggressive than what I have now.

I believe it has all strange stuff on it now, but that doesn't really matter to me as long as I can mix and match brands and keep the rotors and calipers I have.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Order a bottle of brake fluid from every manufacturer….you WILL NOT receive a bottle of DOT 5 from any of them…

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Oh I agree brake fluid isn’t going to break me. I’m building a new car with all new brakes. Strange four piston calipers front and rear. I’ll probably pick up one of those bleeders from summit. Will make it a easy one man job

Posts: 515 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One of the noted items with 5 is the expansion rate and brake drag occurring, I am sure this wouldn't be much of a problem in most drag cars as they never get that hot, however it is a noted issue. Womp is correct, every manufacturer I have checked advises to use something other than 5 and it has had adverse affects on certain seals. I would simply listen to the engineers at the brake companies, it's not an emotional issue, it's brake fluid. If you want to use 5, have at it.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one works great as well…very easy to use

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1549 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
J.R. I've used it, JUNK IMO, no comparison no mind equal to the Motive Power Bleeder.

Back to brake fluid, my position, first hand knowledge and usage of DOT5 is clear, factual and supported by many racers and chassis builders.

More important, I have never had a brake failure of any kind in any of my race cars no mind a failure due to brake fluid!

That said our brake systems are not a fill it and forget part of our race cars despite some here and many bracket racers approach. Brake systems generate heat in the components and fluid. I'll remind all here that it's a somewhat common occurrence for a caliper to "freeze" in passenger car applications and you know why…because the caliper piston seals have been subjected to the “adverse effect” of DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 that has overheated, that has failed from normal passenger car driving/stopping because the brake system has never been flushed. Same underperforming fluid is used in our bracket cars whose brakes generate more heat!

My brake systems in my race cars gets flushed every season, my calipers get rebuilt every other season and I replace the rotors as needed. I have never had an "adverse effect" on the piston seals in my calipers. I also carry 2 spare calipers, rotors, hats, hardware, seals, master cylinders and hoses to rebuild my brake system in either car at the track if need be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I will say this, having spare brake parts is a good idea. Expensive, but smart.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5332 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Expensive, but smart.

Only way to go when you’re traveling the country. Not a good plan to put a call out for parts at the track.

I carry thousands of dollars of spare parts, everything that is a bolt on item for both cars that I hope I never need but if I do, I’ll be ready. Also have spare engines, transmissions, converters snd carbs. What I don’t have is a spare 3rd member though I do have spare R&P.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so it's been 10 days since this thread was started, who during this time has flushed their brake system and seen for themselves the black, burnt fluid come out that they haven't given a thought to every time they step on the brake pedal and assume they will stop? We all know who the knuckleheads here are that haven't now, if EVER flushed their brake system. Laughing very hard

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
How do you insure you've removed all the Dot 3, 4 or 5.1 to go with Dot 5? Or do you only recommend Dot 5 on a new system since the fluids aren't compatible?

For me, I don't care if the fluid gets black over time. As long as it stops. I check my system and brakes monthly when I race. (Pull all 4 tires and go over everything looking for wear and leaks)

I've had brake failure in a buddies dragster and a Monza I drove for someone else. Both times I was able to get them stopped safely. I swore it would never happen again.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
How do you insure you've removed all the Dot 3, 4 or 5.1 to go with Dot 5?

when purple fluid is coming out of all the bleeds.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
I don't care if the fluid gets black over time. As long as it stops.

foolish statement. the fluid is burnt, overheated, DONE and one day you won't stop!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"Use a quality DOT 4 high temp brake fluid. Silicone DOT 5 fluid is not recommended."

As stated before, I'll use what the brake manufacturer recommends! Wink

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2759 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
says one of the knuckleheads here that you can be sure has never flushed his brake system but hey if/when his brakes fail due to burnt fluid, another slow, cutup, shyt box, POS is cheap to build!