DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cam Lock harnesses
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cam Lock harnesses
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
I would not run a camlock belt. I saw a guy just about get barbequed fighting with a camlock to get out of a car on fire. No way in hell I'd run a camlock belt.

I think they should be illegal, after seeing that.

People are not as competent as normal, with a blow torch in their face.

If that guy doesn't know how to get out of his car safely he shouldn't have been in it in the first place. What's so hard about twisting a knob. You should be able to do it blind folded.It's simple and easy.

I thought I painted the picture well enough. I'll take a do over.

Understandably, with a blow torch in a human beings face, a human is not gonna be as competent
as normally.

If you have a camlock belt, try not to get emotional, this is not to attack your choice of belts.

Rather it is a warning for those with the humility to hear.

It doesn't matter what I prefer. Both style belts are safe and easy to use. Knowing what to do when things go bad is what makes you a good race car driver and not just a passenger in your own car. A blow torch in your face is a true testament of a drivers ability. If you panic in a bad situation you would probably be better off sitting in the stands for you and your fellow racers. Your belts whichever you choose are going to be in the same place every time you buckle up. In my opinion every racer should have to pass a licensed blind fold test every year or two.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I was struggling there lol.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I would not run a camlock belt. I saw a guy just about get barbequed fighting with a camlock to get out of a car on fire. No way in hell I'd run a camlock belt.

If that guy doesn't know how to get out of his car safely he shouldn't have been in it in the first place. What's so hard about twisting a knob. You should be able to do it blind folded.It's simple and easy.

Understandably, with a blow torch in a human beings face, a human is not gonna be as competent
as normally.

If you have a camlock belt, try not to get emotional, this is not to attack your choice of belts.

Rather it is a warning for those with the humility to hear the warning.

It doesn't matter what I prefer. Both style belts are safe and easy to use. Knowing what to do when things go bad is what makes you a good race car driver and not just a passenger in your own car. A blow torch in your face is a true testament of a drivers ability. If you panic in a bad situation you would probably be better off sitting in the stands for you and your fellow racers. Your belts whichever you choose are going to be in the same place every time you buckle up. In my opinion every racer should have to pass a licensed blind fold test every year or two.

You're not speaking from experience.

Escaping a race car on fire, doesn't make you a good race car driver anymore than escaping an airplane on fire, makes you a good pilot.

If you're not speaking from experience, you're not speaking rationally. If you're not speaking rationally, you're speaking emotionally.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

as normally.

Escaping a race car on fire, doesn't make you a good race car driver anymore than escaping an airplane on fire, makes you a good pilot.

First thing you do in a fire is hit the fire bottles. Second undo your belts and third drop your window net and bailout of that mess. That 's why you do the blindfold test. Just takes a few minutes to learn where every thing is on your car.
No I haven't but I have been thru the second worse thing and that would be drowning. Look up dunker test and you may actually learn something about being a good racer and a passenger.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

as normally.

First thing you do in a fire is hit the fire bottles. Second undo your belts and third drop your window net and bailout of that mess. That 's why you do the blindfold test. Just takes a few minutes to learn where every thing is on your car.
No I haven't but I have been thru the second worse thing and that would be drowning. Look up dunker test and you may actually learn something about being a good racer and a passenger.

Trust me no matter what I read, is gonna teach me that anyone who fails to escape a fire, is not a good race car driver. That would be fantasy I determined in my mind in not experiencing the event. And fantasy is not rational.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

as normally.

Trust me no matter what I read, is gonna teach me that anyone who fails to escape a fire, is not a good race car driver. That would be fantasy I determined in my mind in not experiencing the event. And fantasy is not rational.

This is reality the guy you saw panicked. Because unlocking a camlock is the easiest thing to do while in a race car.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

as normally.

This is reality the guy you saw panicked. Because unlocking a camlock is the easiest thing to do while in a race car.

More fantasy, he didn't panic, he had oil in his lap from a melted oil pressure line.

You're imagining your perspective.

I take that back, gloves, oil in his lap, blow torch in his face, he probably did panic, and understandably so.

I wouldn't have a camlock, I couldn't give two chits if John Force runs them. Bet he don't though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Take a walk through the pits of Super Comp or any Sportsman racers and see what WINNERS are running.

You wouldn’t have a clue to what belts are being run by super comp racers or any sportsman racer competing in any class at an NHRA Divisional or National event. I know first hand what brand harness is number 1 by far amongst this group and it ain’t brand X.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's common sense to me. Which would Houdini choose?

It comes down to milliseconds.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's common sense to me. Which would Houdini choose?

It comes down to milliseconds.

The handle on my harness has 5 or 6 scalloped cut outs. So you can pack it with oil car wax bearing grease and I guarantee you I can still twist it open as fast as a latch system. But it all comes down to personal preference really.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I've got much more worry that a camlock will release unintentionally than not being able to release it in an emergency.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1644 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
My RCI always comes on the lap belt, takes about 2 mins to move it crotch belt.

Joe

I'd like to see a video of that operation.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1644 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I've got much more worry that a camlock will release unintentionally than not being able to release it in an emergency.

What makes you think that would happen? Camlocks have been around for years. You don’t think they have been tested for something like that?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Who gives a cr@p if you like Camlocks or not. You buy what ever you like, what ever feels most comfortable and are safe. Geez.

Since I went to Camlocks I will probably never go back but I do not care what you run. Just does not matter.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Been using a Simpson Camlock harness since day one, back in 1999 and wouldn’t use anything else.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I dont think they had camlocks when I started racing in 1990, but no matter .. whatever a driver prefers is what they should buy, bottom line ... who cares what the guy in the other lane chooses to wear..

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I prefer camlocks but regardless I feel everyone should practice killing car and getting out just like the blindfold test that most only do once in licensing and probably never do again we should practice so it becomes automatic and not needed to think about it

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q: who cares what the guy in the other lane chooses to wear..

Agree to an extent. The same guy that doesn’t care about his safety doesn’t care about yours! He’s the same guy that doesn’t have a diaper/belly pan too. Same guy racing on slicks with the cords hanging out and/or bald front runners, same guy racing with his brake pedal going to the floor, same guy who continues to race despite his car going every which way except straight. Seen it for over 3 decades.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Okay, camlock story time. They've had camlocks since I started racing 55 years ago. We used the old aircraft camlocks that you had to turn and push to release.

A couple of stories about those type of camlocks. A friend of mine, David Gass from El Paso was racing at Indy one year in his Monza. He had that type of camlock harness on. He flipped the car and was hanging upside down. He turned the latch and started beating on the release button. He could not get out of the car till the Safety Safari got there to help him. He would not run a camlock harness after that incident.

Marvin Schwartz was killed in Tucson years ago in his T/F car when he turned the latch before he made his run. Lots of guys did that, they would turn the latch and then all you had to do was press the button to release it after the run. He crashed and the steering wheel or something in the car hit the button and he flew out of the car at about 180 mph. Unfortunately he didn't survive.

Now, problems with the Latch Link type of harness. I have seen it a couple of times where a guy's arm restraint got caught on the latch and opened it up while going down the track. That's the reason that the newer ones have a velcro tab attached to them to keep that from happening. One guy was going down the track in his dragster and his harness was flapping in the breeze so those things are not perfect either.

I do run a camlock harness, (Stroud) and while I have gotten used to it I don't like the fact that it is similar to a Simpson in that the buckles have to have a straight shot to hook them. The G-Force is a better design in my opinion since it has a 20 degree opening in the camlock itself. Much easier to use.

Well, pick your poison and take your choice. And buy a fire system so if you're ever in that position you can hopefully put that fire out.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've been using the RCI Platinum cam locks. Might get the Pro1 after this year when my current belts expire. I used to use latch and link belts, but never again. I released the latch and the belts didn't fall out of the latch like they were supposed to. Had to reach down and pull them out to release. NEVER had that issue with cam locks. Also, latch and link are A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT to put on in a dragster. A quarter turn and I'm free. I'll never run latch and link again......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post